PDA

View Full Version : Refreshing

Triadcool
12-08-2003, 11:28 PM
<_< When I open a folder, then I close it everything dissaperes off my screen. Start menu,destop icons,everything. Its like explorer is restarting or something evertime I close a folder. Then about 10 seconds later everything comes back to normal. Does anybody know anyway I can stop this from doing it?

I.am
12-09-2003, 12:03 AM
You need to give a little more info, OS?

In earlier windows versions, if the computer was a little slow and if you enabled your desktop as Active Desktop, then each time you refresh the wallpaper or close anything it would sort of load the whole wallpaper and explorer.exe again.

Triadcool
12-09-2003, 02:31 AM
I am running windows xp. I have a amd athlon 1ghz, 856 mb ram, 80gb hd, geforce mx 420.

100%
12-09-2003, 02:43 AM
You WILL find your answer here

http://tweakxp.com

Triadcool
12-09-2003, 02:48 AM
You WILL find your answer here

http://tweakxp.com

Where at there? I cant find it. <_<

Triadcool
12-09-2003, 03:03 AM
Can anybody help me out here?

I.am
12-09-2003, 03:05 AM
I won&#39;t expect that in XP. Try doing one thing, do Ctrl +Alt + del and under processes sort it out by Memory Usage, and see which program is taking maximum mem usage. Explorer should be highest if all other programs are closed including IE. If there is something else try posting us back.

I dont think this is a setting of xp that can be tweaked...its a problem.

Triadcool
12-09-2003, 03:16 AM
There arent any processes that use over 7,000 on there?

I.am
12-09-2003, 03:35 AM
ok. And none of the processes or applications look suspicious?

Weird. my explorer uses 16,012K
Explorer is supposed to take quite a lot.

Triadcool
12-09-2003, 04:09 AM
Nope no supspiciouse ones?

I.am
12-09-2003, 04:20 AM
Try one thing for me. Go to Start> Run > regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop

On the right pane you will see some values. Adjust the middle scrollbar to the left so the right pane is shown clearly. Now try to take a screenshot of this image and past it back. I want to see how much is each delay on desktop functions. Dont know if that&#39;ll do anything but lets try it out.

balamm
12-09-2003, 04:37 AM
You didn&#39;t say what your CPU usage was when this occurred. That&#39;s more likely the problem.
With a few of the crappy new hot fixes from MS, there is again a problem with the way the kernel and CPU resources are managed. There&#39;s a good chance that a lot of applications and services refuse to open or close and total threads will show some rediculous number.
You won&#39;t always see what&#39;s happening, but it may feel like you&#39;re back on a pentium 2 instead of your 1000mgh.
It&#39;ll feel like a bad hard drive at times, bad ram at others. You may be tempted to replace the CPU, all of this is thanks to the potheads at MS who keep pumping out shit code to "repair problems" instead of doing it right the first time.

A few things to try-

Shut down and clear CMOS. In the BIOS, reset the time and date and select "optimal settings", save and restart.
when windows is up and running, go to a command prompt and type >chkdsk /r

Select "Y" , enter. Close the command window. Clean all temp files and history, disable any "go back" programs or system restore. Defrag with the windows defragmenter, twice if any red shows.

Restart and let the checkdisk complete. It will reboot if any problems are found. When windows restarts, check task manager again and compare the results.