PDA

View Full Version : Msn Messenger Annoyance

gumbydancin
02-15-2003, 08:42 AM
Hi guys,

Can someone help me to get the msn messenger icon out of my taskbar. I cna't figure this out, and I don't want to completely get rid of the program. I upgraged recently from xp home to pro and I used to be able to click 'exit' and have it go away unless I had outlook express running. Now it won't let me exit it when I have internet explorer running. I'm not sure how it became dependant on ie, but I don't use it and can't find an option to de-associate it with ie. Thanks for the help.

RPerry
02-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Have you tried msconfig to keep the program from loading on start-up?

gumbydancin
02-15-2003, 08:55 AM
yeah, it doesn't load at startup. Like I said, it starts when I open ie. can't figure it out.

"The Avatar Man"
02-15-2003, 09:30 AM
msn messenger sucks and is intrusive like that :angry:
try getting trillian instead. :lol:
try going to the messenger folder and changing it's name(the folder's name)to anything else like
m messenger or something like that .

Supernatural
02-15-2003, 10:24 AM
ctrl+alt+delete

Bender
02-15-2003, 10:38 AM
I have a similair problem.
When I dare to THINK about checking Hotmail, MSN starts up with it! :angry:
F*cking MSN is almost impossible to switch off as well. :angry:

I use Ctrl+Alt+Del, like with any Microsoft program. :D

If Microsoft ever develops a product that doesn't SUCK, it probably will be a vacuum-cleaner.

Supernatural
02-15-2003, 10:58 AM
I disabled Windows Messenger so that it can't be run, and I use MSN Messenger 5.0. It doesn't do that annoying autorun thing like Win Messenger does.

gumbydancin
02-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Master YodaX@15 February 2003 - 10:30
msn messenger sucks and is intrusive like that :angry:
try getting trillian instead. :lol:
try going to the messenger folder and changing it's name(the folder's name)to anything else like
m messenger or something like that .
Yeah, I use trillian. There's the problem. Here is what someone suggested at annoyances.org, if anyone has any interest.

...Messenger (Express/Messenger & IE are all integrated together now)...first of all, make sure that the preferences setting in MSN Messenger is set to not run when windows starts (Tools, Options, Preferences-untick the box). Secondly, make sure that the box "Automatically Log Onto MSN Messenger" is not ticked in Outlook Express (Tools, Options, General). Failing this, check out: http://www.xp-antispy.de/index.html?/news-e.htm. It can also be done manually as follows: Start --> Run --> type: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove Hope that helps.