PDA

View Full Version : Display Issues In Windows 2000

TClite
02-15-2003, 09:04 AM
Hiya folks, Stoi seems to be having problems with his display, I tried to lend some help as it was a familiar problem...but i couldnt remember how to go about fixing it again, I know its something relatively simple....could you take a look at the pics in the following link below please....

see this first (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.trump/display/desktopshagged.jpg)
pic 1 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.trump/windows%20pics/addremoveshagged.jpg)
pic 2 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.trump/windows%20pics/forumshagged.jpg)
pic 3 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.trump/windows%20pics/forum2.jpg)

Display Settings

Display 1 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.trump/display/display1.jpg)
Display 2 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.trump/display/display2.jpg)
Display 3 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.trump/display/display3.jpg)
Display 4 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.trump/display/display4.jpg)

ok people..what do you think

"The Avatar Man"
02-15-2003, 09:07 AM
lol editing :lol:

TClite
02-15-2003, 09:09 AM
lol editing, yeah first attempt i posted the pictures and the screen scrool length increased infinetly, high res pics lol!

"The Avatar Man"
02-15-2003, 09:10 AM
ok what exactly is the problem in the pictures?

TClite
02-15-2003, 09:14 AM
ok what exactly is the problem in the pictures?

if you notice that in every picture the background is white, even for this forum (pic2), add/remove programs (pic1) etc...thats what were trying to solve and reinstate the old display format.....i.e. how you and me would view those same things in our windows...

"The Avatar Man"
02-15-2003, 09:16 AM
1.try control panel>display settings>desktop(or something similar -cause im on xp)
2.find a good picture and right click on it and choose set as background(or something similar-cause i got xp)

"The Avatar Man"
02-15-2003, 09:21 AM
also consider this program here (http://www.ivory.org/panorama.html) wich will change your background automatically. ;) and go here for a decent selection of free wallpapers (http://www.digitalblasphemy.com)

TClite
02-15-2003, 09:43 AM
yoda, thanks for the help...but I think its an actual windows display issue....not a background thing, if anybody has any ideas or solutions......

Supernatural
02-15-2003, 10:31 AM
nice prog yoda.. i've been looking for such a prog for a long time. TC: have you tried re-installing the video drivers?

TClite
02-15-2003, 10:56 AM
TC: have you tried re-installing the video drivers?

He was playing quake last night (stoi), and everything ran fine....I think this is a windows problem

Supernatural
02-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Maybe it's some type of skin or theme he installed. Try reseting the windows color scheme to default.

stoi
02-15-2003, 11:40 AM
ok ive managed to brave the display of this forum for the time being, this is the first time ive actually browsed the net since this problem occured.

Ok first of i came downstairs after my 12yr old son had been on the net for a bit, he was downloading things of kazaa with the child filter on and he had just playing resident evil 2 which had crashed. When i come downstairs the screen was black with the change password for windows screen on.

I just got out of that withought changing the password and the screen appearence had changed to high contrast black (which is horrible) so i changed it back to windows standard. the problem is that my programs have a white background whereas before they would of had colours and web pages look horrible, eg. some website`s that my g/friend looks at look like the font is 12-14 but whereas one website every letter was bigger than my acctual monitor screen and it was imposible to read, it was fine for someone else though thats how i know that it was my problem.

Also when i used to restart my pc the windows startup picture would fill the whole screen, but now its in a little box with a huge black background.

As for reinstalling the drivers, my discs that i have got are system restore discs (4cds) not acctually a win 2000 disc, and i cant register my laptop on the sony web site to get the drivers for obvious reasons :P

I have a sony vaio laptop specs:
650mhz pent 3 cpu
196 meg of ram
ati rage mobility pro 8meg graphics card
windows 2000

if anyone has any ideas to this prob please post, i have done an online virus check whith pccillin housecall and it found nothing.

thanx in advance

stoi.

P.S. also someone on this link looks like they have had the same problem but i dont realy know what the answer is, as im not realy all that good with windows so if anyone knows whats going on at this link please post an easier explanation same problem as me (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=22E71DAEC504D111B78100805FFE9DC73AD4A5FF%40pfs21.ex.nus.edu.sg&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dwindows%2B2000%2Bwhite%2Bbackground%2Bproblem%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D22E71DAEC504D111B78100805FFE9DC73AD4A5FF%2540pfs21.ex.nus.edu.sg%26rnum%3D2). thanx

stoi
02-15-2003, 12:45 PM
and thanx to tc for posting this for me and to all of the replies so far.

thanx again

stoi

stoi
02-15-2003, 10:36 PM
<~~BUMP~~>

stoi
02-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Ok, was starting to watch the matrix last night with poerdvd, and the program said it would be better to run it in 16 million colours not 32m would i like to change, so i said yes but when i did it said that the file run.dll was missing.

was just wondering if this would have anything to do with my problem above and if it is is there anywhere i can get this and where do i put it when i do get it.

thanx for the help

stoi

TClite
02-16-2003, 01:49 PM
hmmm, sounds strange, run.dll errors can occur when watching movies (from experience) usually they&#39;re just one off&#39;s, I got mine whilst defragmenting my HDD, its possible that too many operations were carried out all at once and it just resulted in a runtime error.....have you changed the setting via desktop pannel to high 32bit colour stoi?

Gambo
02-16-2003, 02:36 PM
If it&#39;s drivers you need, do a search on Driverguide.com. I looked and there are loads for your spec, tho you may have to try out different ones. Hope this may help

stoi
02-16-2003, 06:31 PM
ok ive just tried that site/registered and they had nothing for my graphics card it was all for the radeon card,

i hope someone can help me with this as im realy close to reinstalling windows which obviously i dont want to do. But it looks like noone on this board has any answers to this problem so i might have to :(

Gambo
02-16-2003, 09:16 PM
Is it a Powered by ATI card or a Built by ATI card? ATI have a website that you can try if you know all the spec on your card. You may have to take off your cover and check out the card number etc. to get the info. Maybe then you can find the drivers directly. Worth a go :)

ati.com/support

stoi
02-16-2003, 09:59 PM
thanx gambo, but i have an ati rage mobility pro 8meg card, ati do not stock drivers for mobility cards on their website, i will have to get them from the manufacturer, but the sony website is rubbish and i cant register my laptop as ill probably get into derious trouble if i do (if you understand me)

thanx anyway, if someone has a similar card though on this forum with a copy of the latest driver it would be greatly appreciated.

thanx again,

stoi.

Gambo
02-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Well good luck, I&#39;ll see what else I can dig up. :D

Gambo
02-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Stoi, check this out. www.video-drivers.com/drivers/45/45533.htm
It has this comment attached:

"This is ATI Rage Mobility M but it worked for my Sony Vaio PCG-F807K which has ATI Rage Mobility P/M.
Anyone else that&#39;s lost the recovery CD&#39;s and is waiting for them from Sony may get very frustrated looking for drivers for this particular Vaio, the bad news is that using these my TV still wouldn&#39;t show any image... The good news is that DHL should be ringing my bell today so I will have the recovery CD&#39;s shortly&#33; "

last thing I could find.

:D

Rocko
02-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Try changing the Internet Explorer text size. In a IE window go to View-> Text Size-> Medium.

Rocko

stoi
02-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Thanx gambo, ill try that tommorow looks complicated and im going to bed now.

@rocko thanks but ive already tried that and it doesnt work the letters still look and inch high.

ill post back tommorrow if thats worked.

again thanx everyone that helped and lets just hope this works.

later

stoi

edit: P.S. thats the same vaio i have PCG-F807K, and its crap :P

mobboss01
02-17-2003, 06:15 AM
I spoke to Mr. Stoi today and his problem is still not sorted. I told him at one time to frisbee the damn laptop out the window. I want to help, but we can&#39;t get it to work still. All have been very helpful, but there must be a fix. Keep em coming boys. And stoi hang in there. When I will the lottery, I&#39;ll send you a real problem free fancy computer.

stoi
02-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Ok ive installed the new drivers that you mentioned, but the problem is still the same. so now i kow it isnt the video drivers anyway but something else, if anyone has the slightest idea please reply ill try anything.

mobboss01
02-17-2003, 03:16 PM
[SIZE=7]I have a few files on my FTP... if you want a link then please pm me.

Stoi here is some editing for you to work on in your sig. Get rid of the size=7.

Leech_Killer
02-17-2003, 03:34 PM
If you haven&#39;t already done so do a full system scan with your antivirus program. The IE problem sounds like a setting has being changed in the internet software it&#39;s self. If you click on &#39;Tools&#39; &#39;Internet Options&#39; then on the last tab called &#39;Advanced&#39; all the settings are listed. At the bottom of the window is a button called &#39;Restore Defaults&#39; try that it should reset your fonts, browsing preferences etc.

stoi
02-17-2003, 04:33 PM
thanx mobboss for pointing that out, fixed now :D .

and leech-killa ive run my nav about 4 times and also the pccillin online scan + trojan remover and it hasnt found anything.

Also i tried that as soon as it happened but ive just tried it again (the internet explorer restore defaults) and it doesnt help, i think its a windows problem but whet the problem is i havnt got a clue, but thatx for your help.

stoi

Gambo
02-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Stoi, just out of curiosity, have you tried unistalling Resident Evil? If it seemed to have caused the problem, it may need wiping. Also, did you delete the old video drivers before you installed the new ones? :)

stoi
02-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Gambo@17 February 2003 - 19:47
Stoi, just out of curiosity, have you tried unistalling Resident Evil? If it seemed to have caused the problem, it may need wiping. Also, did you delete the old video drivers before you installed the new ones? :)
ok 1st question, yes i uninstalled resident evil and run windoctor to clean up the registry.

2nd question, errrrm no, didnt realise i had to do that do you think that will make a difference and if so how do i do it.

thanx again

stoi

Gambo
02-17-2003, 11:29 PM
I don&#39;t know if it&#39;s appropriate all the time, but I have done it everytime I have installed the video drivers on my machine. It has a stupid NVidia Riva TNT2 32mb PCI card, and buggered if I could find the correct drivers for it, took me ages. When I installed them, I was getting conflicts and all sorts as the other drivers were still on my system. The only way I cured it was to delete the specified directory, as the setup set up its own. I found mine in c:&#092;NVIDIA. I just deleted the whole lot, rebooted, which gave it minimum display and 16 colours. Then installed the new drivers and kept going like that until I found the on that worked the best. Most driver update files come with there own installer so no need to worry about other stuff.

Again, I hope this may help

Let the saga continue or hopefully end
:D :D

stoi
02-18-2003, 01:30 AM
thanx gambo but it installs them into winnt folder so id be screwed if i deleted that folder lol and i checked and it seems they have installed fine but the problem still persists, im getting windows XP and going to try to particion my hdd withought losing any data lol that should be fun, and install xp on another partiction and boot up with that after that it looks like a system restore for me, bye bye files lol

Gambo
02-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Stoi, sorry, missed out one important piece of info. To delete the drivers, right click on My Computer, select Properties. On the Hardware tab select Device Manager. Expand the Display Adapters and double click on your adapter. Then select the Driver tab and then click the Uninstall option. No more drivers.

It was late and I was tired and stupid not to include that :( :lol: :blink:

Good luck with it all. I&#39;ve never used XP myself, prefer to battle onwards with 2000. It&#39;s all valuable learning no matter what you do.

Have fun :lol:

stoi
02-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Phew, that was a bit scary there, i done what you said gambo, and uninstalled the drivers, restarted the pc and reinstalled the ones you mentioned earlier, restarted again and it come up with a blue screen saying there had been an error and it couldnt load a specified driver, so restarted again and got the same screen, thought what the hell, wheres my system restore disks. lol.

restarted again though in safe mode, must have took about 5 minutes to load windows up reinstalled the same drivers again, restarted and it worked ok that time Phew lol.

anyway ive still got the same problem so it must be something to do with windows and not the drivers for my graphics card, and im guessing its something realy simple but i havnt got a clue what it could be.

any more help would be greatly appreciated but i have nearly got windows Xp so i might give that a go later on today.
thanx

stoi

Gambo
02-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Sorry Stoi, that&#39;s all I can think of for the time being. Hope you enjoy XP.

:D

Supernatural
02-19-2003, 11:55 AM
You could just upgrade to xp without losing data.

stoi
02-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Ok, WOOHOO, got the problem sorted and it was very easy to fix, all my thankyous go out to Master Yoda for helping me and telling me what the problem was.

Ok it was the accesibility option for high contrast, to get rid of it, all i pressed was alt+left shift+print screen and it worked straight away.

Thanx again for that, as i wasnt looking forward to installing xp, dont trust myself :lol:

and thanx for everyones help on the board that tried to help me, but its sorted now.