PDA

View Full Version : Can't We All Just Stop Sharing...?

bpmax
02-15-2003, 10:01 AM
Knew that would get your attention! :P

The entire question is... Can't we all just stop sharing BUNK FILES!?!?

I know ya'll don't know me, but some of you certainly will. :ph34r:

Seems the recording industry is really beginning to nip our said process in the bud. I'm not gonna name any particular labels or artists here... but this has been the case with a couple of different pre-releases I have searched for recently. For instance:

I searched for artist "A", and refined the search for title "B" with a bitrate quality of at least 192. Using the AutoSearchMore feature yielded nearly 500 results in a mere span of 5 minutes. Bear in mind that this is a new artist (no previous releases) whose album will not officially release until 3/4/03.

Needless to say, there are not very many pre-release copies of the actual CD sort floating around... and most of them are in the hands of radio stations... if that. The few ppl. that ripped these tunes evidently never bothered to listen to the product they dropped to thier shared folder... cuz the files are ridden with interruptions, foreign sounds (such as telephone company dial tones and error tones, and the like) and volume variations.

Obviously, this was planned. And to tell you the truth, I can respect the labels wish to keep clean files out of the hands of the likes of us until they can officially release their product. I have no problem with that at all. And don't get me wrong.....I'm not upset about not being able to get the files RIGHT NOW. I'm patient, I can wait.

However, I do have a problem with the rapid propogation of sharing a bad file. A few users? Fine.... but if I am already recieving several hundred results of the same bad file now in just a few minutes, imagine what it will be like by 3/4/03... when the album is actually released. Several thousand??? To the point of K-Lite freezing, probably.

This is going to clog everyone's results with crap we would never want to listen to... and make it much more difficult to find the real thing in the long run, once it is actually available. (Imagine an age that we need verified mp3 pages! :huh: ) I shudder to think about it.

I urge everyone that runs across such a file to disable sharing of that file thru your "My K-Lite" screen... If you do not wish to delete the file and keep a yuk file to yourself, fine. (Me? I delete them!) It's very simple to not share a bogus file though..... From "my K-Lite", highlite the file, r-click, "stop sharing". Let's try to at least hinder such garbage that seems to hit us harder every day.

It seems they have truely found a way to clog us up.... Let's not help them do so, huh? ;)

"The Avatar Man"
02-15-2003, 10:03 AM
yeah check your crap before you share it :angry:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-15-2003, 10:07 AM
;) Thank god I don't have this problem anymore.

ProwL418
02-15-2003, 10:12 AM
id personally like to get my hands around the throats of a few users....
g0d given the opportunity...drool drool

J'Pol
02-15-2003, 11:14 AM
FC

Followed your advice. Direct Connect for music. Excellent for individual tracks.

I quite like the albumwraps, probably just the lazy bar steward in me. Haven't had any luck with them.

Cheers

JimF

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by JimF@15 February 2003 - 06:14
FC

Followed your advice. Direct Connect for music. Excellent for individual tracks.

I quite like the albumwraps, probably just the lazy bar steward in me. Haven't had any luck with them.

Cheers

JimF
;) I never said Direct Connect for music...don't get me wrong,Direct Connect is good...but it is for the big boys with lots of files.What I have always said is SoulSeek is the place for music...there is no other Peer-to-Peer program like it for music. :D

J'Pol
02-15-2003, 12:21 PM
I know, I tried soulseek but it appeared not to be working.

I am currently sharing 12Gb. I use K++, DC and eMule. I use common shared folders so the files are available in all of the systems.

I will try soulseek again if you recommend it.

Cheers

jimF

J'Pol
02-15-2003, 12:58 PM
FC

What's this $5 / month "donation" ranygazoo all about. Is this a commercial operation.

Cheers

JimF

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-15-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by JimF@15 February 2003 - 07:58
FC

What's this $5 / month "donation" ranygazoo all about. Is this a commercial operation.

Cheers

JimF
:D With that $5 you get download privileges.A user has download privileged will usually have their files queued before those of users who do not have download privileged. That means that more often than not, your downloads will be pushed straight to the top of the upload queue. :D

But only a few members pay that...I don't...but if we had our own Peer-to-Peer network I surely would. :D

J'Pol
02-15-2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks for that Martha

I'm giving it try just now. Obviously just started so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers

JimF

bpmax
02-16-2003, 07:18 AM
Well, this has grown to be rather off topic! I thought I was talking about sharing bunk files... and not DC and Soulseek advertisement. I guess that many that read the original post saw it as an opportunity to chum up their favorite FS networks. That sucks! :P

Fortunately, Master YodaX and ProwL418 understood my point... but evidently, this thread has gone astray. Too bad. I thought I raised a good point last night. :unsure:

FC and JimF... A piece of advice:

Be damn sure that your discussed networks WILL suffer the same plague that is beginning in FastTrack. Afterall, the majority of the filesharers are HERE. Your users most definately frequent FastTrack as well. That does effect you in the long run, right?

Can we get this back on topic, please?

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-16-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by bpmax@16 February 2003 - 02:18
FC and JimF... A piece of advice:

Be damn sure that your discussed networks will suffer the same plague that is beginning in FastTrack. Afterall, the majority of the filesharers are HERE. Your users most definately frequent FastTrack as well. That does effect you in the long run, right?

;) Maybe in the long run...but for at least 6 months to a year them 4 million users will be on other networks...better networks.Fasttrack sucks dude...they have no chat rooms or no way of hooking up with a buddy.

UnOwen1
02-16-2003, 07:58 AM
Personally I got enough "buddys" in real life and don't neet chat for doo doo.. I get all of my OTR and audio books through this network and am quite happy with it.. Maybe those that are dissasitified with how things are here should develop their own network or "cleave" to those other networks that better suit their needs... Flame on

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-16-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by UnOwen1@16 February 2003 - 02:58
Personally I got enough "buddys" in real life and don't neet chat for doo doo.. I get all of my OTR and audio books through this network and am quite happy with it.. Maybe those that are dissasitified with how things are here should develop their own network or "cleave" to those other networks that better suit their needs... Flame on
:D Some of us are dreaming of that day brother...our own Peer-to-peer for this forum. :D

bpmax
02-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@16 February 2003 - 08:42
;) Maybe in the long run...but for at least 6 months to a year them 4 million users will be on other networks...better networks.Fasttrack sucks dude...they have no chat rooms or no way of hooking up with a buddy.
Sure... chat rooms and 'hooking up' are nice.

Still, I'd like to keep this "on topic", FuNkY. You seem to have been here for a while. Do you disagree with my original post? If so, say so. This thread was not intended as a "which platform is best" tisk.

I wonder why such an avid SoulSeek user even frequents these forums.

This isn't the thread for that though, FuNkY.

Again, ... Can we get back to the topic, please?

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-16-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by bpmax@16 February 2003 - 03:10
I wonder why such an avid SoulSeek user even frequents these forums.

;) I frequent this forum because this is a community about file sharing not only KazaaLite NOOB...you will learn that. :P

Now let me go back and read your post from the beginning and then we can get back on track...but you will also find out that threads around here run off course.

FC B)

bpmax
02-16-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@16 February 2003 - 09:14
;) I frequent this forum because this is a community about file sharing not only KazaaLite NOOB...you will learn that. :P

Now let me go back and read your post from the beginning and then we can get back on track...but you will also find out that threads around here run off course.
I see that they do run off course. I'm sure we'll be "back on track" once you read the origianl contents. Files are like viruses. We share them every day!

BTW: I have a great appreciation for FS communities great and small. ;)

Nice to meet you, FuNkY!

UnOwen1
02-16-2003, 08:47 AM
I tried to read the original post three different times. My eyes started to cross about the middle of the thing.. Maybe it was just the beer but I had A hard time following the whole thing... Whoops!!! Welcome NOOB nobody really hates you here just takes a while to get past the unofficial board censors :D

Nightwolf
02-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by bpmax@15 February 2003 - 05:01
However, I do have a problem with the rapid propogation of sharing a bad file. A few users? Fine.... but if I am already recieving several hundred results of the same bad file now in just a few minutes, imagine what it will be like by 3/4/03... when the album is actually released. Several thousand??? To the point of K-Lite freezing, probably.
Getting back to the original topic, I believe the problem is the fact that Kazaa automatically shares the contents of everyone's Download folder. That means that before a user even gets a chance to verify a file for quality and authenticity, it could already have been shared with dozens of other users, thus creating this "rapid propogation of sharing a bad file". The same garbage just keeps floating around and around, clogging up the network because for every one bad file that gets deleted, there a countless others still sitting in peoples Download folder being shared. I think the makers of Kazaa and/or K-Lite should fix it so the Download folder is NOT shared!

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Nightwolf^.`.^+16 February 2003 - 03:51--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nightwolf^.`.^ @ 16 February 2003 - 03:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bpmax@15 February 2003 - 05:01
Getting back to the original topic, I believe the problem is the fact that Kazaa automatically shares the contents of everyone&#39;s Download folder. That means that before a user even gets a chance to verify a file for quality and authenticity, it could already have been shared with dozens of other users, thus creating this "rapid propogation of sharing a bad file". The same garbage just keeps floating around and around, clogging up the network because for every one bad file that gets deleted, there a countless others still sitting in peoples Download folder being shared. I think the makers of Kazaa and/or K-Lite should fix it so the Download folder is NOT shared&#33; [/b][/quote]
;) Pretty much that is what I was trying to say...try another Peer-to-Peer program and stop useing Kazza with all its junk.

UnOwen1
02-16-2003, 08:59 AM
I agree that this is a problem. By default "My Shared" folder is the same as the folder that I download to. This is not cool. Whatever I DL is automatically shared before I can check it out.. There needs to be a way to DL to one folder and have to move to another folder to share. There would be less files available to share on the network but the files might be less likely to be corrupt due to people having to open them up before moving to shared folder.. Did that make any sence at all?

Got_brains?
02-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Accually, I get really fed up with people that I see dl at least half my files (ahem, kazzaliteuser@kazza, cough cough, one of the people who never even changed their name: defaltuser@kazaa cough cough). I share 488 files. I am on a cable modem. I allow 8 simultanious uploads at a time. (I believe this is a lot :rolleyes: ) And then people who dl dont even share. That ticks me off.

They (if they already dont) should make a prog that auto kicks peps who dont share. :D

Nobody1234
02-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Hi bpmax and welcome to the forum. The first post of this thread is so long. Anyway FC, you don&#39;t like Kazaa? Hmmm seems strange to see someone with as many posts as you not like it. You can message other users in Kazaa ya-know. As for buddy list... Your my buddy... No? :unsure:

Anyway what&#39;s this thread about again? :D

puremindmatters
02-16-2003, 08:49 PM
UnOwen1 - there is a way, if you use pTrack, you can define the folders where your downloaded files are supposed to go.

Nightwolf
02-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by puremindmatters@16 February 2003 - 15:49
UnOwen1 - there is a way, if you use pTrack, you can define the folders where your downloaded files are supposed to go.
I tried ptrack, but as near as I could tell it just lets you change your Downloads folder. I don&#39;t think that will prevent Kazaa from sharing that folder with other users. I could be wrong though. My solution is to create a folder somewhere on your hard drive called &#39;Unverified&#39; (don&#39;t share it), and put a shortcut to it in your Downloads folder. Then whenever you download something, immediately drag it onto this shortcut to move it to the unshared folder until you have a chance to check it out (before anyone else downloads it from you).

puremindmatters
02-17-2003, 04:27 AM
If you tell ptrack to download to a directory outside your shared folder it will do that for you.
You can share/unshare each folder or even an entire drive in "find media to share/folder list".

Nightwolf
02-17-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by puremindmatters@16 February 2003 - 23:27
If you tell ptrack to download to a directory outside your shared folder it will do that for you.
You can share/unshare each folder or even an entire drive in "find media to share/folder list".
Maybe you&#39;re using a different version than me (mine&#39;s 2.2 ALPHA). If I right click on any of my shared folders there is an option there to un-share it, but if I right click on my Download folder that option is not there.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-17-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Nobody1234@16 February 2003 - 14:51
Hi bpmax and welcome to the forum. The first post of this thread is so long. Anyway FC, you don&#39;t like Kazaa? Hmmm seems strange to see someone with as many posts as you not like it. You can message other users in Kazaa ya-know. As for buddy list... Your my buddy... No? :unsure:

Anyway what&#39;s this thread about again? :D
:D This is a flie sharing community/forum...alot of members do not use only Kazaa Lite...a few of us don&#39;t use it hardly at all. :D

Why do you think so many people develope add ons for Kazaa...because it sucks. ;)

RPerry
02-17-2003, 07:13 AM
there is a posistive and negative side of the download folder being shared. Negative side is of course the fact that currupted files can be spread without the users knowledge, However some people won&#39;t take the time to move a file from unshared to shared after they download it if the download folder isn&#39;t shared.

Another Cadaver
02-17-2003, 08:21 AM
Bunk music files are bad, but bunk software is the worst. You take hours sometimes downloading something that is horrible mislabeled or corrupt. Then you delete it, then search again, and end up downloading the same crap file again. DAMMIT&#33; Check your files arses&#33;

puremindmatters
02-17-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Nightwolf^.`.^+17 February 2003 - 07:46--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nightwolf^.`.^ @ 17 February 2003 - 07:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--puremindmatters@16 February 2003 - 23:27
Maybe you&#39;re using a different version than me (mine&#39;s 2.2 ALPHA). If I right click on any of my shared folders there is an option there to un-share it, but if I right click on my Download folder that option is not there. [/b][/quote]
No, I am using the same version - but instead of manually putting the files into an unshared directory, you can use pTrack to do that for you - i.e. using a *.* filter for downloaded files to a directory which is unshared, or do subsets for specific types which are prone to have fakes and corrupted files amongst them, like *.mp3.

I&#39;m sorry if I didn&#39;t make that clear - and before someone tries it and complains that it is not working: Files which have been started before you implemented the filters might still go into the original folder.
It works pretty well once it is all set up, I am downloading files into four different directories (docs, software, audio and video).
Paul recommended it when I was about to re-invent the wheel.... ;)

Edit: Forgot "it"

ersatz
02-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Would increased usage of the ratings system combat this? Personally I rarely rate files, but i&#39;m sure if this was an effective way of retaliating against RIAA &#39;diluting&#39; more people would take the time to do so. Apologies if this has been covered already.