PDA

View Full Version : Principles Of Overclocking

clocker
12-10-2003, 03:47 AM
Recently I have noticed a growing interest/debate re:overclocking.
Some of the people who would like to try may benefit from a little backround and explanation of what exactly you are getting yourself into.

I found this article entertaining and informative and hope you do too.
The Principles of Overclocking (http://www.overclockers.com/articles884/)

Edit: do not be deceived by the title. This is not a tutorial, nor a "insert finger A into slot B" step by step manual. It is more about the philosophy and reasoning behind the act of clocking than anything else. The specific facts regarding your specific rig are easily findable on the web. Frankly ( and I do not mean to be harsh or snobbish here, merely cautionary) if you can't find the info on your own, you are not ready to begin the process. Almost inevitably, at some point you will be in uncharted waters, and the ability to think/reason for yourself will be all that separates you from having a sweet running machine or a rather expensive doorstop.

Spicker
12-10-2003, 04:04 AM
nice post hope the ppl read it and dunt ask questions like "what is overclocking?" ;)

3rd gen noob
12-10-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by clocker@10 December 2003 - 02:47
Frankly ( and I do not mean to be harsh or snobbish here, merely cautionary) if you can't find the info on your own, you are not ready to begin the process. Almost inevitably, at some point you will be in uncharted waters, and the ability to think/reason for yourself will be all that separates you from having a sweet running machine or a rather expensive doorstop.
true :)

the link isn't working for me just now, not sure why :blink:

bob_the_alien
12-10-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+10 December 2003 - 00:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 10 December 2003 - 00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> the link isn&#39;t working for me just now, not sure why :blink: [/b]
Yeh, same here, link not working for me either.

<!--QuoteBegin-clocker@10 December 2003 - 02:47
Almost inevitably, at some point you will be in uncharted waters, and the ability to think/reason for yourself will be all that separates you from having a sweet running machine or a rather expensive doorstop. [/quote]

Yes, becuase a molten cpu makes me :cry1:

abu_has_the_power
12-10-2003, 07:21 AM
well, directing noobs to www.overclockers.com would have also worked... they get a forum and articles combo for the same low price of free. lol

clocker
12-10-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@10 December 2003 - 00:21
well, directing noobs to www.overclockers.com would have also worked... they get a forum and articles combo for the same low price of free. lol
That illustrates my cautionary point exactly, Abu.

If one were at all serious about clocking their PC the first step should be to enter "overclocking" into Google and then research every site that comes up.
Obviously, Overclockers.com is a prime source of information.
All too often it is apparent that even the most rudimentary steps have not been taken.
If a person does not know how to reset CMOS ( or even know what it is) or how to enter into, and what do alter once in, BIOS, then they have a lot of homework to do.
Furthermore, I sense a great misunderstanding of the basic nature of overclocking.
The perception seems to be that it is a magic process that will somehow turn your mid-grade machine into a top-of-the-line firebreather.
There is a price to pay for any performance gain.
Be it heat or instability or reduced component life...you never get something for nothing.
I have enjoyed my learning process and would like to share it with others.
I would simply prefer that they begin with eyes wide open.

bob_the_alien
12-10-2003, 04:05 PM
I always find that before I overclock a chip, I like to search the net,
for the same cpu I&#39;m using, (as well as same Mobo and size case if possible) find what other&#39;s have overclocked it to, what heat temps they’re getting, what type of cooling there using. I find it very usefully to know this information. You should always try to learn all you can before you start, better to be safe than sorry.

I was really looking forward to reading this article though, first page worked fine, then as I continued on, it just died on me, guess I try it again later.
Nice post though, clocker.

Ninjastyle
12-10-2003, 07:23 PM
What&#39;s overclocking?

OK, OK... joke.

Actually, I was reading somwhere that MSI are about to release some motherboard that returns the clock speed back to normal when not needed, which sounds interesting. Anyone know about these mobo&#39;s?

abu_has_the_power
12-10-2003, 11:22 PM
ur such a lucky bastard clocker. if i posted this, i&#39;d have a pined topic too. arg. oh well. we&#39;re still cool

bigdawgfoxx
12-10-2003, 11:48 PM
I hear the easiest thing to OC is a 2500 XP 11X200...seems good to me :D nice topic as usual clocker.

abu_has_the_power
12-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@10 December 2003 - 18:48
I hear the easiest thing to OC is a 2500 XP 11X200...seems good to me :D nice topic as usual clocker.
the easiest to oc p4 is the 2.4c. which i have baby. oh yea. but i&#39;m not goin to far till i get wc

3rd gen noob
12-11-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@10 December 2003 - 22:50
the easiest to oc p4 is the 2.4c. which i have baby. oh yea. but i&#39;m not goin to far till i get wc
what exactly makes your cpu more easily overclockable than the 2500+?

abu_has_the_power
12-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+11 December 2003 - 00:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 11 December 2003 - 00:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@10 December 2003 - 22:50
what exactly makes your cpu more easily overclockable than the 2500+? [/b][/quote]
i said easiest to oc P4. yea, amds are much easier to oc, but the most oc-compatible p4 is the 2.4c

3rd gen noob
12-11-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@11 December 2003 - 04:48
but the most oc-compatible p4 is the 2.4c
anything to back that up?

abu_has_the_power
12-11-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+11 December 2003 - 00:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 11 December 2003 - 00:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@11 December 2003 - 04:48
but the most oc-compatible p4 is the 2.4c
anything to back that up? [/b][/quote]
overclockers.com

forums

lol

there&#39;s a huge thread on how far is ur 2.4c oced

lol

3rd gen noob
12-11-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@11 December 2003 - 05:01
overclockers.com

forums

lol

there&#39;s a huge thread on how far is ur 2.4c oced

lol
yeah, but what what is your criteria for saying the most overclockable P4 is the 2.4GHz?

just because a lot of people do it doesn&#39;t make it the best :)

bigdawgfoxx
12-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Well I have also heard that the 2.4C is the best P4 to OC. They even use it as an example in Clockers link.

abu_has_the_power
12-12-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@11 December 2003 - 09:17
Well I have also heard that the 2.4C is the best P4 to OC.&nbsp; They even use it as an example in Clockers link.
glad someone agrees with me. thanks bigdawg.

yes, read all the oc websites and forums. everyone says 2.4c is the most flexible ocer

i&#39;m a member of forums.extremeoverclocking.com

and pretty much everyone there (amazing computer builders and all work with comps 24/7) agrees that the 2.4c is the easiest and best to oc, out of all the p4s

adamp2p
12-12-2003, 07:26 AM
yep, overclocking is something you should do only if you know what you are doing.

You need to be a certified computer ninja geek like me :lol:

abu_has_the_power
12-12-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p@12 December 2003 - 02:26
yep, overclocking is something you should do only if you know what you are doing.

You need to be a certified computer ninja geek like me :lol:
i&#39;m not a comp expert, and i never said i am. i oc cuz for me, its not really that hard. all i had to do was change the clock #. when i get this shitty bios worked out, i&#39;ll be goin higher

adamp2p
12-12-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+12 December 2003 - 02:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 12 December 2003 - 02:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@11 December 2003 - 09:17
Well I have also heard that the 2.4C is the best P4 to OC. They even use it as an example in Clockers link.

yes, read all the oc websites and forums. everyone says 2.4c is the most flexible ocer

and pretty much everyone there (amazing computer builders and all work with comps 24/7) agrees that the 2.4c is the easiest and best to oc, out of all the p4s [/b][/quote]
Well abu, you are right and you are wrong.

Firstly, let me discuss how you are right. If you want to reach a clock speed of about 3 GHz then yes, the 2.4c is a wise choice. That is because then you reach FSB speeds of approximately 1 GHz, which is great if your memory can even handle that in the first place.

However, if you want to go above 3 GHz then you should choose a higher natively clocked chip as you will have more room with the front side bus to speed up. you see? ;)

abu_has_the_power
12-12-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p+12 December 2003 - 02:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 12 December 2003 - 02:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@12 December 2003 - 02:59
<!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@11 December 2003 - 09:17

and pretty much everyone there (amazing computer builders and all work with comps 24/7) agrees that the 2.4c is the easiest and best to oc, out of all the p4s
Well abu, you are right and you are wrong.

Firstly, let me discuss how you are right. If you want to reach a clock speed of about 3 GHz then yes, the 2.4c is a wise choice. That is because then you reach FSB speeds of approximately 1 GHz, which is great if your memory can even handle that in the first place.

However, if you want to go above 3 GHz then you should choose a higher natively clocked chip as you will have more room with the front side bus to speed up. you see? ;) [/b][/quote]
perhaps u&#39;d be amazed at this:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=204508

abu_has_the_power
12-12-2003, 07:37 AM
also have a look at this:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/poll.php?act...ults&pollid=195 (http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/poll.php?action=showresults&pollid=195)

adamp2p
12-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@12 December 2003 - 08:37

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/poll.php?act...ults&pollid=195 (http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/poll.php?action=showresults&pollid=195)
I looked at both and I am trying to tell you that to do that you need some serious cooling for the memory and the fsb. I would suggest getting the 2.6 or 2.8 model so you would not need as many fans or water cooling units.

abu_has_the_power
12-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p+12 December 2003 - 02:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 12 December 2003 - 02:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@12 December 2003 - 08:37

I looked at both and I am trying to tell you that to do that you need some serious cooling for the memory and the fsb. I would suggest getting the 2.6 or 2.8 model so you would not need as many fans or water cooling units. [/b][/quote]
yea. of course. a lot of those people have wc. i&#39;m getting wc if i oc that much. but not likely. maybe for my next rig

bob_the_alien
12-12-2003, 08:05 AM
Water cooling is my next step on both my current PCs, and my new project sub box pc, but I&#39;m waiting until after Christmas, need to buy Christmas presents for others before presents for myself :lol:

However I&#39;m possibly thinking about trying homemade refrigeration cooling, for my project pc. Inside that sub box will most likely get really hot, I&#39;ve got the port holes, but I&#39;m going to need cooling beyond that.

Still haven&#39;t decided on what Cpu/mobo combination I&#39;m going to use yet. I still have time to decide though, won’t be ordering anything for at least 2 to 3 weeks. So by then I should be ready, and have everything planned out.
Actually I&#39;m thinking about the Athlon 64, but at this point, it&#39;s pointless to buy one, most likely it won&#39;t be until mid-summer of 2004 before you start seeing 64 bit computing really getting supported.

Just realized this is about OCing, and I&#39;ve went on about other things for a long time now, so just to bring it back around, on topic.
I will oc whatever CPU I go with; I&#39;d say it will probably end up being an AMD though. Last time I used an Intel chip was a PII 333 MHz.

In those days overclocking meant setting switches and/or jumpers, sooooo much easier now. Which really might be the reason clocker saw fit to post this article.

abu_has_the_power
12-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by bob_the_alien@12 December 2003 - 03:05
Water cooling is my next step on both my current PCs, and my new project sub box pc, but I&#39;m waiting until after Christmas, need to buy Christmas presents for others before presents for myself :lol:

However I&#39;m possibly thinking about trying homemade refrigeration cooling, for my project pc. Inside that sub box will most likely get really hot, I&#39;ve got the port holes, but I&#39;m going to need cooling beyond that.

Still haven&#39;t decided on what Cpu/mobo combination I&#39;m going to use yet. I still have time to decide though, won’t be ordering anything for at least 2 to 3 weeks. So by then I should be ready, and have everything planned out.
Actually I&#39;m thinking about the Athlon 64, but at this point, it&#39;s pointless to buy one, most likely it won&#39;t be until mid-summer of 2004 before you start seeing 64 bit computing really getting supported.

Just realized this is about OCing, and I&#39;ve went on about other things for a long time now, so just to bring it back around, on topic.
I will oc whatever CPU I go with; I&#39;d say it will probably end up being an AMD though. Last time I used an Intel chip was a PII 333 MHz.

In those days overclocking meant setting switches and/or jumpers, sooooo much easier now. Which really might be the reason clocker saw fit to post this article.
dude. not saying amd is bad. but amd got same and sometimes worse scores than the 3.2. lol. it&#39;s 500. if u want to buy it, wait till next year. cheaper if u still want to stick with it

clocker
12-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by bob_the_alien@12 December 2003 - 01:05

Not really Bob.
The main reason I posted this link was to try and steer the emphasis away from stark numbers and more in the direction of the underlying process.
Understanding why you are doing something and what the resulting numbers mean.
After all, it&#39;s the journey, not the destination, that matters.

I am feeling very mystical this AM...

DWk
12-12-2003, 03:24 PM
oh it got pinned :sorcerer: :teehee: :clap: :clap: :hug:

SciManAl
12-13-2003, 06:58 PM
lol, this is actually a good pinned topic, something that poeple will actually look at, and clocker can have the pride and satisfaction, that that 11 year old lying SOB, will look at this thread and see why, and not the how, that will cause that little deprived boy, to work hard in life and be succesfull at OCing things.. like toasters...

Spicker
01-02-2004, 10:23 PM
yo abu sum guy oced ur p4c to a 3.3ghz on STOCK cooling :blink: :frusty:

im here STUCK WITH A DAM WILLY&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :angry: