PDA

View Full Version : If A Topic Is Moved, We Leave A Link To It

jetje
02-15-2003, 11:46 AM
I'm a bit fast asking this (the team hasn't spoken about it yet) but if i see some pages nowadays some have more links and closed topics, as normal topics. Think we need to think about that.
Please no spamming this just real opinions. B)

Mivaro
02-15-2003, 11:49 AM
I think move it and delete the old topic. Maybe there should be a message that it's moved from A to B ?(in the new location that is...)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-15-2003, 11:50 AM
;) I think you should leave a link...alot easier for people to find it.

jetje
02-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Mivaro@15 February 2003 - 11:49
I think move it and delete the old topic. Maybe there should be a message that it's moved from A to B ?(in the new location that is...)
that's the read arrow we leave now, a sign the topic is moved... But we have lot's of em nowadays...

smellycat
02-15-2003, 11:57 AM
How about

Leave the link for an hour.

Then remove the link.

This could be automated.

sim one
02-15-2003, 11:58 AM
I say remove the link, whats the point in leaving it up?
You just get the same topic in two places.

Yusuke
02-15-2003, 12:01 PM
I think move and delete is good, that way the moved arrow placeholders won't interfere with actual threads in a given forum

Bender
02-15-2003, 12:23 PM
I like the links to stay, because if it's moved between your first and second visit there's a possibility you can't find it anymore.

But then again, if it was off-topic it should be easy to figure out to where it was moved.

vivitron 15
02-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Move and delete... i was just thinking about suggestin it.

i find nothing more annoying than going to a page, and seeing a whole column of moved items. if you're gonna leave a link, then you may as well just leave the post there. this way people might start to try to post in the right place.

also, if someone really wants to find a topic they found before, they can either

1. search

2. do the track this topic thing.

Mivaro
02-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jetje@15 February 2003 - 12:53
that's the read arrow we leave now, a sign the topic is moved... But we have lot's of em nowadays...
I mean, in the moved thread a post that's it's been moved from section A to section B..

jetje
02-15-2003, 12:47 PM
aha B) yeah sometimes we do but not always....

smellycat
02-15-2003, 12:55 PM
I think you should have a link to the moved post for a certain length of time so that the posters will know that the topic has been moved and they will know where it has been moved to.

I think after that the length of time you should then delete the link, to clean up the board.

If you just move the threads with no link you're going to get new posts in the forum such as :

:angry: w.t.f. Everytime I post here my posts disappear. What crappy software are you running?  :angry:

:ph34r: Help!! I think TRX are stealing my posts  :ph34r:

Mivaro
02-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by smellycat@15 February 2003 - 13:55
I think you should have a link to the  moved post for a certain length of time so that the posters will know that the topic has been moved and they will know where it has been moved to.

I think after that the length of time you should then delete the link, to clean up the board.

Yeah, i guess you're right about that...

:ph34r: Help!! I think TRX are stealing my posts  :ph34r:
:lol: :lol:

jetje
02-15-2003, 01:00 PM
that's a bit were i'm afraid of to, but hey those we just delete :lol:

no serious that's a tough one...

J'Pol
02-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Leave the link but delete the thread.

Cheers

JimF

PS I know you are going to delete this post Jet, and rightly so, I just couldn't help saying it.

Curley
02-15-2003, 01:51 PM
I say either leave the link, so people can follow that, or move the thread and delete the link but pm the original poster so he/she dosn't think it's been deleted completely.

Hope that makes sense!

[B][O][T]
02-15-2003, 02:06 PM
Just move and delete the original.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-15-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Curley@15 February 2003 - 05:51
I say either leave the link, so people can follow that, or move the thread and delete the link but pm the original poster so he/she dosn't think it's been deleted completely.

Hope that makes sense!
I agree with Curley.

Benno
02-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Move and delete the original one this will keep the board clean.

ugluk
02-15-2003, 04:26 PM
if its in the wrong section; just delete it! no moving just trash it. and ban the jerk who posted wrong! and everyone who replyed to it! :lol:

ok. seriously move the thread and delete the link, and just as Curley said notify the one who started the thread where it went.

gumbydancin
02-15-2003, 04:35 PM
I don't browse every section, and those links are pretty handy. I guess you can use the search function to find a post if it's been moved, but I think you'll see that in some cases, after moving a post, you'll get a lot less responses to it. If it needs to be done though, via con dios.

El_Jefe
02-15-2003, 04:46 PM
I used to alway leave a link to a moved topic, but now, I sort of play it by ear, based on the person that started the topic.

If it's a question by some one new, I'll usually leave a link. If it's some one with an attitude or just some general bitching, or clearly the poster didn't even give a damn about posting in the correct area, then I move it without a link. And if it's a member that should know better, I move it without a link.

KinkoStinky
02-15-2003, 04:52 PM
I say just leave it the way we have been doing it. Cause if you move it and then delete the origanal, people will think that it got deleted and that one person did a crime in it or something. So... theres my 3 cents.

Note: Notice I said 3, that means you must obay me! For I am "Da B*tch"

Note: Another inside joke

Skweeky
02-15-2003, 06:35 PM
I too think that it might be a good idea to leave the link there for a couple of hours and then delete it. Deleting right away may cause some problems. eg. questions as 'why did u delete my topic' etc...

smellycat
02-15-2003, 07:06 PM
If you've got a number of people replying to a thread before it's moved
do you PM them as well?

Just leave the link for a short while and then delete it.

Nobody1234
02-15-2003, 07:06 PM
I think the links need to stay. And PM the thread starter about wrong posting. If someone continues to post in the wrong area (like after second warning) start deleting the threads altogether.

Rocko
02-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Maybe Move the topic, delete the old and send a email notification of the moved topic or a PM

Rocko

KinkoStinky
02-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Lets say that it has 1300 replies... Do you pm everybody?

Rocko
02-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by NeoShoyru@15 February 2003 - 14:08
Lets say that it has 1300 replies... Do you pm everybody?
Of course only to the one that starts the topic.

Rocko

KinkoStinky
02-15-2003, 07:20 PM
But what if everyone thinks that its been deleted then? Then it will still bring up questions...

jetje
02-15-2003, 07:32 PM
What if... What if. Maybe people need to start thinkin'"Hey it's not here, where is it" and start lookin' in another forum. ;)

The Great Dude
02-15-2003, 07:41 PM
There is always a "what if", but Rocko's suggestion seems good, but what happens if a newbie doesn't know what's a PM? ;)

CornerPocket
02-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by jetje@15 February 2003 - 13:32
What if... What if. Maybe people need to start thinkin'"Hey it's not here, where is it" and start lookin' in another forum.  ;)
but not all will.... if they did we'd have the cleanest board on the net :lol:

I've placed a suggestion in the Mod's forum, if applicable, maybe it will be done, just have to wait and see what VB says.

Suggestion posted:

"If possible, move the topic with a link to the new location and have the board automatically removed the link after let's say 5 days or so. That would give the original poster plenty of time 'I hope' to acknowledge any replies and hopefully notice the new location of the moved topic. At the same time the board is kept clean. This is just a brainstorming idea I planted for the Mod's - Admin's to ponder on.............. :rolleyes:

feedback??

smellycat
02-15-2003, 08:04 PM
Totally agree with you CornerPocket. :D

But 5 days is too long. Most threads have disappeared in 5 days, so it's pointless deleting the link.

Perhaps a few hours is all you need.

KinkoStinky
02-15-2003, 08:13 PM
Naw, I say 5 days... What if you post a topic and then you fall asleep in the toilet... Then within a few hours, your topic will be moved and you wont know about it... Plus within a few MORE hours, you would be dead, so who would care?

Nobody1234
02-15-2003, 09:31 PM
A few hours is too short and 5 days is too long. How about 36 hours so that if some user looks back every day around the same time he/she will see it was moved.

ooo
02-15-2003, 09:38 PM
u should remove link since it takes up space... dont know how much space you have but still.... leave it for a week i guess?

BROCKSTER
02-15-2003, 10:07 PM
yer no need for the link they can just search theres user name if its really hard to find

smellycat
02-15-2003, 10:26 PM
I've just looked at the last three pages of each forum/section.

Apart from "About our Website..." and "Filesharing" the total number of threads moved in the three pages was 0 - 4.

In "About our Website..." the total number of threads moved was 17.
This covered a period of approx 9 days.
Thats about 2 moved per day.
Each page is about 3 days.

In "Filesharing". the total number of threads moved was 22.
This covered a period of approx 3 days.
Thats about 7 moved per day.
Each page is about 1 day.

Time to delete a link to a moved thread could be section-dependent.
Or position-dependent.
How about if a link to moved thread reaches page 2 then it gets deleted.

yer no need for the link they can just search theres user name if its really hard to find
Unless your name is F.C. :lol:

dirtyoldman
02-16-2003, 02:50 AM
i think leaving a link for 48 hr. is enough.if they havn't figured it's moved by then they probebly forgot were it was anyway.i forget where i've posted 2 hrs later :)
probebly old age :blink: still haven't gotten gray stars yet? :lol:

RPerry
02-16-2003, 03:02 AM
I agree that 5 days is too long, something between 24-48 hrs should be fine.

Siras
02-16-2003, 03:24 AM
Well it would be alot easier to leave the link cause there would be quicker to find out where the topic has moved to and if people can see where the topic is moved to then the should learn what thread is for what topic so then they wont make the same mistake twice thats just my opion

El_Jefe
02-16-2003, 05:51 AM
Just some additional info for some of the members that posted earlier in the thread. When moving a topic, on this forum, we have two choices, with a link or without a link.

Moving with a link, doesn't create an additional post, it just leaves a link topic( for lack of a better term). When selected, you get transferred to the new location. Moving without a link, well.........moves it without leaving a link. :)
Just wanted to clear that up, if there was any confusion or misconceptions.

Yusuke
02-16-2003, 07:14 AM
I think 5 days is too long too, like others said, in that amount of time it'll get pushed down a page or 2 by other threads anyway...
24-48 hours sounds better

tilen76
02-16-2003, 09:22 AM
No need for a link.

Can't we use "View new posts" option. It will list your moved topic no matter in which section it is.
I know I use that option. The only two sections I check separately are "About our website and this forum" and "Lounge" in the morning when I wake up and catch up on things.

So what's the point of having the link then? Just use the "View new posts" option and you will find your section.

;)

edit: typo. it's still early for me :blink:

CornerPocket
02-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Sounds great that eveyone is voicing their opinions, hopefully in time we can come up with lets say the top 2-3 most suggested options, see if there are workable w/VB, if so place a voting for best solution via a "Poll". B)

Hey FC, another Poll whaddya think? :lol: :D :lol:

tracydani
02-16-2003, 08:09 PM
Skipped pages 2 + 3, but I say move and delete. Like others said, you'll just have more double posts.

Wouldn't this add to the data traffic for the forum?

RDanneskjold
02-18-2003, 02:53 PM
I say Move and Delete
But also maybe with one of these ideas/options (not necessarily all)

Ideas/Options:

A PM can be sent to the original poster of the link, or
posters that have posted in that topic that the topic was
moved.

An indication can be displayed in the poster's View New
Posts in a "Moved Topic" area.

A new heading can be clicked on, ie. where My Controls,
My Assistant, View New Posts headings are.

A pinned thread can be made of "Moved Topics" for each
area. ie Filesharing....Development...etc., where anyone
who can't understand where the topic went, or are searching
for the moved topic can find it.

Some of these maybe good ideas. We'll have to see what the Mods
think about em.
Maybe they can spark some ideas in other members.
:)

Any other ideas or thoughts on this?, All Members, and Mods? :D

Edit: Grammar

mobboss01
02-18-2003, 10:54 PM
I agree on leaving a temporary link so that we can find it. It is true that if the poster hasn't located it in a reasonable time then they have forgotten about it. Plus if you reply to a post, then you can just look at my last ten posts.

Barbarossa
02-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Move and Delete :)

ToraBoraDweller
02-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Other option make new pinned with bold caps
: IS YOUR TOPIC MOVED?
collect them in a new to be made section moved topics
and let them sort it out for themselves
(that will teach them!) :lol:

RDanneskjold
02-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ToraBoraDweller@19 February 2003 - 05:35
Other option make new pinned with bold caps
: IS YOUR TOPIC MOVED?
collect them in a new to be made section moved topics
and let them sort it out for themselves
(that will teach them!) :lol:
Thats pretty much what I already said :)

A pinned thread can be made of "Moved Topics" for each
      area. ie Filesharing....Development...etc., where anyone
      who can't understand where the topic went, or are searching
      for the moved topic can find it.

;)

ToraBoraDweller
02-19-2003, 11:50 AM
sorrry credits go to you
just overread it somehow ;but should't all those items go to 1
single section? We should strive to keep this board navigatable
= not too many subsections ? :)

RDanneskjold
02-19-2003, 12:05 PM
It's an idea :) I see what you mean about having too many subsections ...but it might be more easy to track and follow if each room has it's own....so its not all mixed up :huh: ...let's see what the MODs think? :)

SideSwiped
02-19-2003, 07:51 PM
May as well move the topic and delete the link. However, like Curly said, PM the originator. Also, whynot just post a notice within, that the topic will be moved to such and such within 24 or whatever hours. The PM gives the originator notice and notice within the topic to be moved would give fair warning to all who would wish to post a reply. :blink: