PDA

View Full Version : The Kids Are Alright

oldmancan
12-11-2003, 07:19 PM
A couple of days ago Gutter started a thread "What's wrong with kids these days". I got a good chuckle out of the picture he posted and the responses. I didn't post anything at the time but the thought has stuck with me.

What is wrong with kids these days? Nothing!!! Sure times have changed, but I don't think people have changed much. Time and space seem to have little to do with it. Nor do race creed or colour. There are good folk and bad folk and most of us are somewhere in between.

There have been trouble makers forever. Perhaps we are just inundated with news reports or pictures, making us more aware. Maybe its just the numbers - more people, means that there are more bad people.

I just want to say that Kids today are Alright. Sure the whole hormone thing makes a mess of things. And just like the rest of us, kids make mistakes especially when they are just trying new things.

Just be realistic and give the kids a break. Try saying "hi" instead of looking away or crossing the street to avoid them. Make a connection instead of a barrier.

To all the teens, peace.

omc

razorsharp013
12-11-2003, 07:22 PM
So kids have always shot eachother over drugs and shoes. Oh good, I feel a lot better now.

*sarcasm attached*

bigboab
12-11-2003, 07:27 PM
I agree with Oldman. The kids of today are not really any different.(Except that wee ba* that keeps knocking my door). The majority of todays kids are good as was the majority when I was younger.

wormless
12-11-2003, 07:34 PM
lol

im 23 :o and i went to buy 25g of backy for my bf when the woman was trying to hurry me out the shop just goes to show i dont look 23 is wicked being me X im young for my age! :P

razorsharp013
12-11-2003, 07:34 PM
It wasn't that ling ago since I was in high school I am 25 and haven't been a teen in 7 years. In that short time things have horribly worse off. And I grew up in Brooklyn NY, not the greatest of all neighborhoods. Parents are getting younger and younger, kids are getting to smart for their own good to soon, and the darker sides of life are to easily available to them thanks to the information age we now live in. Sure there has always been the "bad crowd" and "bad kids" and trouble makers, but it is not like it used to be. When I was in school the worst thing that could happen was a fist fight after school. Now kids are killing eachother. And for teachers it's worse. Many are scared to death of their students, and rightfully so. I feel so bad for those who dedicate their lives to the education of our children who are being treated like that. Kids are not allowed to really be disciplined anymore by anyone, including their own parents. The good parents out there who care, their hands are tied. Kids today have to many rights and they know it.

oldmancan
12-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Mr JP Fugley, no I'm not, these guys are tho'
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/125887/TKAA-LP-GER.jpg

razorsharp013, no I'm not saying that drugs and killing for shoes have always been teen activities. I think those are the effects of a deteriorating social fabric. What I'm saying is the kids (teens) are not the cause of the problem. They are caught up in the problem for sure, but so are we all. Btw, nice to see you around again.

Cheers, omc

Skweeky
12-11-2003, 07:39 PM
It's so weird...I'm only 20, and even I have the feeling sometimes I'm losing contact with my nieces and nephews who are 12-13 years old..

Then I just talk to them for an hour and i'm up to date again :lol:

razorsharp013
12-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Can't be done. A parent even looks at their child the wrong way it's called abuse now a days. That's the problem. The kids are not alright and it's only going to get worse, and the rest of society esspecially here in the US aren't much better.

razorsharp013
12-11-2003, 07:45 PM
:lol: Damn kids. I feel so old right now.

oldmancan
12-11-2003, 07:54 PM
razorsharp013, I agree that the current state of affairs is deplorable. Certainly, the sheer volume of violent behavior has increased. But, while I grew up in a mild mannered suburban community (in the friendliest country - Canada) there was stuff going on, out of sight, that was worse than what you describe in your experience in Brooklyn.

The scariest to me were the inbtweens, 11, 12, 13 olds. Get of swarm of them after ya with clubs and chains. Lucky to live through it.

I'll grant you that teens have a lack of experience (part of my point) and therefore lack some ability to understand consequences of their actions.

Arrg! gotta go. My bottom line: The Kids are Alright.

cheers omc

razorsharp013
12-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by oldmancan@11 December 2003 - 14:38

razorsharp013, no I'm not saying that drugs and killing for shoes have always been teen activities. I think those are the effects of a deteriorating social fabric. What I'm saying is the kids (teens) are not the cause of the problem. They are caught up in the problem for sure, but so are we all. Btw, nice to see you around again.

Cheers, omc
I just saw this post.

I agree with you. However that wasn't my point, the point was the kids aren't alright, and a lot of the rest of us are not any better.

thewizeard
12-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by oldmancan@11 December 2003 - 19:19

I just want to say that Kids today are Alright. Sure the whole hormone thing makes a mess of things.

So there is still hope for Lamsey...

razorsharp013
12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by oldmancan@11 December 2003 - 14:54
razorsharp013, I agree that the current state of affairs is deplorable. Certainly, the sheer volume of violent behavior has increased. But, while I grew up in a mild mannered suburban community (in the friendliest country - Canada) there was stuff going on, out of sight, that was worse than what you describe in your experience in Brooklyn.

The scariest to me were the inbtweens, 11, 12, 13 olds. Get of swarm of them after ya with clubs and chains. Lucky to live through it.

I'll grant you that teens have a lack of experience (part of my point) and therefore lack some ability to understand consequences of their actions.

Arrg! gotta go. My bottom line: The Kids are Alright.

cheers omc
I believe that kids are a product of their environment so they are only as bad a shape as we are I suppose. So perhaps the kids aren't the problem, society is.

Honey
12-11-2003, 08:03 PM
I've worked with street kids for a number of years, and my observations are that parents place the emphasis on kids today to grow up and grow up fast...

in the search for the almighty dollar, many homes have both parents working.. the kids are basically left to fend for themselves, the parents don't have time, give them the dollars and send them off so the parents can rest after work.. but where are their kids going... and more importantly what are they doing?..

doesn't seem to be important as long as they stay out of their parents way..

the other side of the coin... the kids that come from one parent, on welfare, families... not enough dollars, kids feel the pressure to keep up with their friends.. what are they doing?.. does their parent know?..

basic parenting ethos has almost been lost and its the kids that suffer, talk to any of the so-called hard cases, chip away the bulls**t, and you'll find they only want what every kid wants... to be wanted, to be loved, to have someone who cares about them... yes they may appear different on the outside.. but when all's said n done.. they're just kids... trying to survive in what must look like a pretty ugly world to them...

give em a break... they're alright!.. :)

Skweeky
12-11-2003, 08:03 PM
That, Nigel my friend, is another thing... :lol:

oldmancan
12-11-2003, 09:16 PM
I think Ozbabe managed to express my point better than I. Yes society is in trouble, and so are the teens.

But teens are just people like the rest of us, and most of us are alright. I guess what I needed to say in the original post was that I'm bothered by how prevelant the perception that "Kids today are so bad compared to the past". Seems like some adult is always commenting about "What's wrong with Kids these days?"

I have two teenage sons. I see instances and hear stories about being treated poorly by adults just because of their age. It's discrimination based on ignorance leading to fear.

I just think teens deserve better. And as my wife frequently reminds me, who do you expect to act more mature; the adult or the youth?

And now I feel :) for having said The Kids are Alright.

cheers omc

mrlessk
12-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 11 December 2003
.....kids are getting to smart.....
for their own good to soon, and the darker sides of life
are to easily available to them
Kids today have to many rights and they know it.
"to"....-- "used as a function word to indicate movement or an action or condition suggestive of movement toward a place"

"too"....-- "to an excessive degree"

Just want to make a point.

This is bound to draw the ire of many, that's a foregone conclusion. However, since Forums are designed for voices of many opinions and sides, I am simply adding mine.

One thing that is all too obvious as you read what "kids of today" and those that have matured into 25 year olds have to say is how they say it. What's wrong with kids of today? illiteracy! for one. Albeit, it pales in comparison to the problem of drugs and kids killing kids....so you don't have to put it into perspective for me, I just did. As the illiterate continue to find their way into teaching professions it becomes the "blind leading the blind". Don't take this to mean I am down or condescending toward all teachers...there are many good teachers with the tough task of trying to teach the kids of today.

Go ahead and flame me, it would be expected from those in defense of their own lack of educational skills and subsequent lack of ability to survive as business professionals or even burger-flippers at McD's. I'm just making an obvious point that is becoming more and more apparent, improper use and the abuse of the English language.
Ok, you're not from the US and English is not your first language.....you're excused....I don't speak or write correct Canadian, German or Gaelic either. I'm directing this to those who require speaking, writing and communicating in proper English usage in order to succeed in today's society.

...in the search for the almighty dollar, many homes have both parents working.. the kids are basically left to fend for themselves, the parents don't have time, give them the dollars and send them off so the parents can rest after work.. but where are their kids going... and more importantly what are they doing?..
I agree wholeheartedly. Without parental supervision kids of today are left on their own and going back to my original point, it's now, unfortunately, up to the teachers to "teach" but it's also up to the kids of today to attend, listen and learn. At some point kids of today need to realize that the foundation for how they conduct themselves a few years down the road as "grownups" and how they may succeed (if this be a chosen goal) in today's society lies in their education and whether to accept the opportunity they have to learn or not.

Unfortunately, most (not all) kids of today don't think beyond the next 24 hours.

How am I qualified to make these assertions? I see it firsthand. I am a manager of a department in manufacturing and see many resume's and letters from job-seekers and can't believe how ill-prepared many are to even get beyond the first step of presenting their own qualifications to a prospective employer. The lack of grammatical and writing skills does not portend a job interview.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

Bring on the wrath! :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:
mrlessk

bigboab
12-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Just for a wee laugh mrlessk, I ran you post through a spell/grammar checker. All I can say is, I haven't laughed so many since I was a children at grammar school. :lol:

razorsharp013
12-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Thank you bigboab.

to, too..........Who gives a crap? Everyone knew what I meant.

Snee
12-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@11 December 2003 - 23:50
Just for a wee laugh mrlessk, I ran you post through a spell/grammar checker. All I can say is, I haven't laughed so many since I was a children at grammar school. :lol:
I bet it was ten times nicer with regards to the grammar than any of my Uni-teachers would be <_<

bigboab
12-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by SnnY+11 December 2003 - 22:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 11 December 2003 - 22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@11 December 2003 - 23:50
Just for a wee laugh mrlessk, I ran you post through a spell/grammar checker. All I can say is, I haven&#39;t laughed so many since I was a children at grammar school. :lol:
I bet it was ten times nicer with regards to the grammar than any of my Uni-teachers would be <_< [/b][/quote]
Actually Snny, Mrlessk is right. I remember sitting in the Uni, I went to Uni late in life by the way, the lecturer could not even spell. When I was at school, every single day you had spelling and arithmetic memory tests. Obviously I missed those. :lol:

Any spelling errors in this post are due to the age of the keyboard. :lol:

Snee
12-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Maybe it&#39;s an English thing then or something, &#39;cuz my bloody teachers can find fault in anything, they might not be able to speak the lingo all of them but they can find errors however long I&#39;ve been working on something <_< , most of them have doctored in a language or two.

Not so sure about grade-school teachers, a bunch of plonkers as far as I can remember.

bigboab
12-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@11 December 2003 - 23:14
Maybe it&#39;s an English thing then or something, &#39;cuz my bloody teachers can find fault in anything, they might not be able to speak the lingo all of them but they can find errors however long I&#39;ve been working on something <_< , most of them have doctored in a language or two.

Not so sure about grade-school teachers, a bunch of plonkers as far as I can remember.
English is the most difficult subject at school. A lot of it is subjective. What is OK for one teacher is wrong for another. If you are doing a critique on a book or essay they will find fault. Even if you went to the author and asked him/her what they meant. Is this the pot calling the kettle black. :lol:

Snee
12-11-2003, 11:27 PM
I was referring to grammar and spelling, but the rest is as you say. It does seem subjective, but I have to say that I&#39;ve never caught my current teachers making mistakes when it comes to spelling or grammar.

The closest I&#39;ve come is to note that they have atrocious hand-writing, at times reading their damn corrections can be absolutely mind-boggling, sometimes I&#39;ve noted a score of possible ways to decipher one little word. :)

EDit: clarity, spelling

mrlessk
12-11-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@11 December 2003 - 13:50
Just for a wee laugh mrlessk, I ran you post through a spell/grammar checker. All I can say is, I haven&#39;t laughed so many since I was a children at grammar school. :lol:

Have another "wee" laugh bigboab. Run yours through the same spell/grammar checker. You&#39;ll find more mistakes in your two sentences then in the whole of mine.
Thanks for proving my point.
"He who lives in a glass house shouldn&#39;t throw stones" surely applies here.

Indeed&#33; Who does give a crap?
mrlessk

bigboab
12-11-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by mrlessk+11 December 2003 - 23:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrlessk &#064; 11 December 2003 - 23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@11 December 2003 - 13:50

Have another "wee" laugh bigboab. Run yours through the same spell/grammar checker. You&#39;ll find more mistakes in your two sentences then in the whole of mine.
Thanks for proving my point.
"He who lives in a glass house shouldn&#39;t throw stones" surely applies here.

Indeed&#33; Who does give a crap?
mrlessk [/b][/quote]
I am not putting myself on the pedestal. I also point out that it was jocular. As you say he who lives in a glass house. :lol:

mrlessk
12-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by bigboab@11 December 2003 - 14:56

I am not putting myself on the pedestal. I also point out that it was jocular. As you say he who lives in a glass house. :lol:
Understood and peace bigboab. :) :beerchug:

I never meant to present myself as an authority on the English language. As you discovered and aptly pointed out, I am certainly not without my faults either. Just wanted to opine about the subject of kids today.

If there is one "kid" who read this thread and even saw the distinction between those two words "to" and "too" and might remember the correct one the next time they include them in a sentence then I have had a great day and all the wrath heaped upon me would be worth it.

Have a good day&#33;
mrlessk :newyear:

bigboab
12-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by mrlessk@12 December 2003 - 00:16
Understood and peace bigboab. :) :beerchug:

I&#39;ll drink to that :) :beerchug:
I completely understand your point. I have a bit of experience in this subject. It would take too long to explain. Pointless too. I blame the authorities not the children. :)

Evil Gemini
12-12-2003, 12:57 AM
@ mrlessk,

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/whocares1.jpghttp://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/whocares3.jpg

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/whocares5.jpg

Skweeky
12-12-2003, 01:00 AM
No, I agree. Spelling is important. It should happen more people correct each others mistakes on here.

mrlessk
12-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Nicely done neattairoski. I bet you&#39;re a web designer too. :lol:

Here&#39;s a word you certainly won&#39;t recognize...ignoramous

Rest assured it is spelled correctly. If you have any doubts however, please use this tool get it here (http://www.m-w.com/promos/button/button.htm)
to check.

mrlessk :P

Evil Gemini
12-12-2003, 03:06 AM
I really couldnt give a flying fuck how its spelled.

:rolleyes:

Is_this_name_taken_already
12-12-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by neattairoski@12 December 2003 - 03:06
I really couldnt give a flying fuck how its spelled.

:rolleyes:

would that be opposed to a non-flying fuck in any way shape or form

I though we were suposed to be non-discriminitory when relating to the word fuck

lol :blink:

kurtsl0an
12-12-2003, 07:00 AM
as that freaky chick from the movie goonies so eliquantely put it: kid&#39;s suck.

Evil Gemini
12-12-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by kurtsl0an@12 December 2003 - 08:00
as that freaky chick from the movie goonies so eliquantely put it: kid&#39;s suck.
LOL yeah she is one freaky bitch hey

kAb
12-12-2003, 07:25 AM
damn baby boomer parents, making our lives shitty as hell.

they do drugs and have sex constantly. we get fuckin over-protected not allowed to do jack shit.

Honey
12-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by kAb@12 December 2003 - 14:25

they do drugs and have sex constantly. we get fuckin over-protected not allowed to do jack shit.
do you really feel over-protected kab?.. :huh:

i get the feeling from the kids that i worked with that they felt that nobody was there to protect them :(

3RA1N1AC
12-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by razorsharp013@11 December 2003 - 11:34
And for teachers it&#39;s worse. Many are scared to death of their students, and rightfully so. I feel so bad for those who dedicate their lives to the education of our children who are being treated like that.
yeah&#33; some teachers would even rather stay home and turn tricks, than go to their real jobs. :lol:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/living/...ion/7475151.htm (http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/living/education/7475151.htm)

as for whether kids are different than they used to be... one thing i noticed is that kids nowadays can&#39;t do anything without wearing a helmet. bike-riding, skateboarding, rollerblading/razorscootering, walking/gumchewing... they look like friggin&#39; ree-tards in those helmets. :fear:

http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/kids-hmt2.gif

kAb
12-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Ozbabe+12 December 2003 - 04:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ozbabe @ 12 December 2003 - 04:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kAb@12 December 2003 - 14:25

do you really feel over-protected kab?.. :huh:

i get the feeling from the kids that i worked with that they felt that nobody was there to protect them :( [/b][/quote]
i really do.

u have no idea.

sparsely
12-13-2003, 07:15 AM
the children are rummaging through your sock drawer as you write.
please go stop them before they find your gay porn/beastiality/goatse.cx/vacation pictures and scar themselves for life.

the adults are all wrong too.
fuck off.
thx.