PDA

View Full Version : Energy Use

x_gimpg
12-12-2003, 12:02 AM
I know this varies alot but about how much energy does one computer setup take on energy? We are trying to have a traveling lan on a school bus and go ou to a lake, just trying to figure out what kind of genorator would be best and what we could rent. :lol: Thanks

Livy
12-12-2003, 12:06 AM
maybe about 500w each.

x_gimpg
12-12-2003, 12:11 AM
So if we rented something at about 10KW, then we will be fairly well powered? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=40827 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40827) is one i looked at, And at 10kw thats 20 people, doubt well have that many but with switch/router we might need that much

And BTW how long would that 8 gallon tank last running at that high wattage? Im a noob to this

Livy
12-12-2003, 12:25 AM
im not sure how long it will last, i had a look in the manual and couldnt find anything about it. although i would check each thing for actual power rating.

i went with approx 150w for monitor and 350w for cpu itself. which i would imagine is about typical, but also you may have other devices, a network hub/switch or speakers etc.

x_gimpg
12-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Usually dont use speaks on our lans just headphones to cut down on background sound. Especially with a damn generator running. Will a LCD monitor take less than a... big one? I thought the larger monitors took more power that the cpu cuz of the huge tube it uses but im just assuming.. BTW Heres the bus peeps are hoping for, lol. They are gonna replace the seats with tables. Bid over us and i kill you :angry: :D http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...9&category=6728 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2446310519&category=6728)

Livy
12-12-2003, 12:39 AM
had a look at a couple of 19" crt on a online site and power comsumption is 130watt. and a 17" lcd is about 45w

x_gimpg
12-12-2003, 12:48 AM
oh, nice thanks. Looks like most processors use around 80watts or less, so thats a good sign to.. i think

Livy
12-12-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by x_gimpg@12 December 2003 - 00:48
oh, nice thanks. Looks like most processors use around 80watts or less, so thats a good sign to.. i think
atx boards usually have a power supply of around 350w, so i went with that figure, i know they dont avtually use that figure. but depends on what hardware you have. and also most computers need a surge of power when they are turned on to spin up all the motors in the board etc. so i would only turn them on one at a time as not to blow anything by turning them all on at once. not sure if monitors are the same.

prob best to turn one computer on, give it a sec or too, then put its monitor on, then next computer, etc.

edit: yeah minimum requirement for an atx board is 350w im sure, so may be more.

x_gimpg
12-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Ok, Will the gen need a separate exhaust or be mounted outside or something? And how will the noise be loud for something like that 9hp? A 3.5 hp can be anoying, maybe we should do some sound-proofing around it. Wow im jumping around alot

Livy
12-12-2003, 12:56 AM
do you plan on the bus moving while you use it? i would definetly try get it outside, as noise and fumes. and isnt it a 20hp motor you pointed to?

edit: no seperate exhaust will be needed.

x_gimpg
12-12-2003, 01:01 AM
fast replys livy jeez, :lol: heh. Yeah, we were gonna try to lan a little on the way to the lake, its a ways out. Hmm... where would you mount that thing outside, roof or somthin?

Livy
12-12-2003, 01:04 AM
i can come up with 3 ides where to put it, get a mount or something welded to the rear and put it there, on the roof,(prob not a good idea) or on a trailer. but best idea would be on the back. but im not sure if it would last as the electronics in them are usually pretty sensitive and packed in foam stuff so they dont get affected by vibrations, not sure if anything would happen. or if its legal etc.

x_gimpg
12-12-2003, 01:06 AM
Theres another bus that maybe has a bathroom, how would that work? Seal it off and give it some outside venelation..

Livy
12-12-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by x_gimpg@12 December 2003 - 01:06
Theres another bus that maybe has a bathroom, how would that work? Seal it off and give it some outside venelation..
not to sure, but i would imagine if you had a exhaust extension made, properly, so that it goes outside, should be ok, but i wouldnt seal it off, still keep the acces via the door so you can acces it, although still not sure about legal issues of it.

also i would def make sure the exhaust gasses are going outisde as you know want to be breathing fumes.

x_gimpg
12-12-2003, 01:11 AM
Yeah thats y i though about sealing it but doesnt sound good, easier to exhaust it outside. Might actually work, woo!

Livy
12-12-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by x_gimpg@12 December 2003 - 01:11
Yeah thats y i though about sealing it but doesnt sound good, easier to exhaust it outside. Might actually work, woo!
but you will also need to make sure its getting a supply of fresh air also as it will need it to run, and keep cool.

bigdawgfoxx
12-12-2003, 02:18 AM
Wow this is a weird thread...lol newayz..Just a motherboard requires 350watts? Or is that what they recommend for a system? Cuz I was gona buy a Case that came with a 300Watt Truepower PSU..I wouldnt run much off of it tho..just one optical drive and a HDD.

x_gimpg
12-12-2003, 02:25 AM
No i kept editing my posts cuz i didnt want to make new ones and it got all screwy.. A high grade mobo takes around 85 watts i found out

harrycary
12-13-2003, 01:10 AM
Stop trying to figure how much current a mobo will draw. That's called an exercise in futility.

Look at your PCs power supply(the sticker on it). Look at your monitor. It will state how many watts of current they will draw. I don't know about elsewhere but here in the US, electronics are required to state this on the cabinet and/or label.

It's not rocket science. Just add up the watts and get the appropriate wattage generator. (and yes, venting your exhaust outside would be wise/lifesaving)

FYI: A CRT monitor will draw much more current than a PC or printer or anything else. An LCD monitor doesn't draw near that of a CRT monitor though.

Livy
12-13-2003, 01:24 AM
a crt monitor will only draw about 130watt as ive already said, infact my 17" flat crt draws about 110w.

harrycary
12-13-2003, 07:16 AM
a crt monitor will only draw about 130watt

huh?

Let's do the math.

The formula is: amps X voltage = watts

So, 130 watts divided by 120 volts (we're talking the US here)equals 1.08333 amps. That is a mighty small monitor you have. (and quite the blanket statement at that)

My little 15 inch monitor draws 180 watts. (120v X 1.5 amps)

Makes me wonder...hmmm

Regardless, I have yet to see an LCD monitor..err excuse me, an A/C adapter for an LCD monitor, draw that much current. There is a difference between an A/C adapter current draw due to the conversion to D/C. Relative to the amount it takes for a CRT to become fully charged, something not necessary for an LCD.

I apologize in advance if I'm wrong but I'm only going by the facts I have at hand.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm a bit drunk right now.

peace

Livy
12-13-2003, 02:37 PM
suppose you may be right, i was only going with what i was given at the site. http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/m...?quicklinx=2RSV (http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/monitorsanddisplays/productView.htm?quicklinx=2RSV) it says 130watt there, i justr checked my old crt, which it says it draws 1.4 amps, and being in the uk, p=iv. p=1.4*240= alot more than i thought.

SciManAl
12-13-2003, 06:31 PM
dude why are you getting a seperate generater... string it on the drive shaft of that damn diesal man... and gett you some battery back ups... that way, you can generate quietly... and even have power when nothing is runing.. plus less gas...

x_gimpg
12-14-2003, 01:20 AM
Would work but we dont want to have the enginge running EVERY time we have the comps on. Get more complicated too but im not doing it just getting ideas.

Livy
12-14-2003, 01:25 AM
or if you wanted to get really complicated, you could totally wire up the bus with outlets etc and run it of engine power. and then have a seperate generator for when the bus aint moving.