PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Want Your Mods?

El_Jefe
02-16-2003, 01:49 AM
What do members expect from the mods?

The present Mods (CornerPocket, jetje, El_Jefe) were put in place when the boards atmosphere was rather different than it is currently. There have been some changes in the demographic composition of the board, the overall number of members, as well as changes in prevelent attitudes of the members. So just to get a better handle on what everybodies' expectations are, could you guys list what things you'd like us to focus on.

Such as more board maintainence (moving, merging, splitting threads)
or more policing of threads and members( deleting spam, off-topic posts, rude posts, etc), or maybe a combination of the two.

Try to be somewhat specific.

KinkoStinky
02-16-2003, 01:51 AM
I already know what some people are gona say... If you dont, then wait and see till you see my name...

KinkoStinky
02-16-2003, 01:53 AM
Anyways, an idea is, when something is moved, dont do anything to the origanal topic untill it gets to the second page.

J'Pol
02-16-2003, 01:59 AM
The mods are doing a good job. For which they get little thanks.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

JimF

PS I was going to post a deliberately enigmatic (though non-sensical) message. But I couldn't be bothered.

Chilly
02-16-2003, 02:06 AM
I think CornerPocket, jetje, El_Jefe are doing a fantastic job as it is.

The forum is great, its got good advise, and friendly atmosphere. :D

Keep up the good work.

Just one thing can you sort out this problem evertime we post a reply, it says page not found ;)

zapjb
02-16-2003, 02:07 AM
I would like to see as quickly as possible closing of "The sky is falling posts." With the mods or members stating the truth, then this thread is closed you f'n n00b! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[B][O][T]
02-16-2003, 02:08 AM
I'm a former Moderator @ GTAForums.com with 29,000 (I resigned)

I want You to: Move topic's to the correct place and also inform why You did move the topic.
I want You to: Delete unwanted post or topic's.
I want You to: Take action against spammers that only post a smillie in Their post (IE reduce Their post count).
I want You to: Edit members oversized signatures.
I want You to: Be helpful with newbies.
I want You to: Pin important topic's more.

That's all for now I guess.

cheers,
BOT

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-16-2003, 02:08 AM
Just one thing can you sort out this problem evertime we post a reply, it says page not found'
It's a server problem so don't worry about it really... yea, the MODs are doing great but whoever wanted the new MODs should start posting what they want here...

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-16-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by [O][T]@15 February 2003 - 18:08
I'm a former Moderator @ GTAForums.com with 29,000 (I resigned)

[b]I want You to: Move topic's to the correct place and also inform why You did move the topic.
I want You to: Delete unwanted post or topic's.
I want You to: Take action against spammers that only post a smillie in Their post (IE reduce Their post count).
I want You to: Pin important topic's more.

That's all for now I guess.

cheers,
BOT
If MODs are expected to do that, then we might need a couple more. ;)

smellycat
02-16-2003, 02:13 AM
I agree, you mods are doing a really good job.

I think what you listed
moving, merging, splitting threads, deleting spam, off-topic posts, rude posts, etc
are the basic functions of a mod.

We don't need more or less of either. Just keep your light touch. :)

Basically, you're like the referee. You should remain in the background unnoticed but step in when trouble flares.

The only thing that needs addressing is that there are periods when there are no mods at all looking after the board. That leaves the board wide open to abuse / spam . I'm thinking in particular of the K4L incident.

Mivaro
02-16-2003, 02:30 AM
I also think you all are doing great, but maybe some help would make it easier for you. I don't know if it matters much if tasks are divided, thats up to you i guess.
Maybe it would be good to be firm(er) to spammers and such (thinking of Neo... <_< ), i don&#39;t know what could be done, but personally i would&#39;nt mind banning...

Nobody1234
02-16-2003, 02:47 AM
In general the mods are doing a great job.

A few times there were some unruly members and it should have resulted in being banned for maybe a day and nothing was done.

People who post in the wrong sections should be given warnings.

We could use a few more mods for when none are here.

RPerry
02-16-2003, 02:53 AM
I don&#39;t think the Mods are doing a bad job, most of the problems come form just a couple of people anyway. Everyone has a bad day from time to time, so don&#39;t think you should hammer someone for making a mistake, but if its the same person all the time( thinking of a "N" name) then maybe their should be a harsher punishment.

by the way Nobody1234, you posted just ahead of me, so you know that "n" wasn&#39;t for you

dirtyoldman
02-16-2003, 02:58 AM
we want jetje topless. :lol: :lol:
i think you mods are doing a fine job.but more maint. is needed at times.thers so much traffic you can&#39;t
be everywhere all the time.don&#39;t you deserve some help?

Nobody1234
02-16-2003, 03:06 AM
by the way Nobody1234, you posted just ahead of me, so you know that "n" wasn&#39;t for you
Funny how I was reading your post and I knew exactly who you meant. I didn&#39;t even realize mine started with &#39;N&#39; also. :lol:

N£MO
02-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Hmmmm..how do i want our mods?? <_< ..Female...eager to please and nice puppies.. ;) :lol:

Yusuke
02-16-2003, 07:25 AM
I think the mods are currently doing a great job..
But one thing i think we need done is some pinned topics telling how much bullshit it is that kazaa is gonna be shutting down and one dispellng the rumors about the RIAA...
But since its mostly n00b&#39;s posting that stuff, they probly wouldn&#39;t read it anyhow, so nevermind what i said ......*grumbles about stupid n00bs posting that stuff over and over and over* :lol:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-16-2003, 07:35 AM
;) The MODS are doing fine...what we want from are MODS are them discussing adding more rooms.

tilen76
02-16-2003, 10:13 AM
What do I expect from the Mods? Hmmm...

- they must have nice (sexy) avatars :P

Just kidding. :D

Seriously:
- you guys are doing your job very good (when your are present at the board that is)
- but I expect that there is at least one Mod present on the board at all time, that&#39;s all I&#39;m asking
- and I expect from a Mod to be an adult, in case someone new gets this job

I believe you guys are from differrent time zones, but there is only one of you from each zone, perhaps you need to double your team, so that there will be two of you from each time zone, just in case one of you doesn&#39;t have the time to be on the board (which I understand, you are not supposed to be here all the time).

So...make someone from far east a mod, make someone from Europe a mod and make someone from North/South America a mod:
An example:
- Shinigami (if he really is from far east), he seems to be doing the job already, just without that additional powers
- UKMan, Rat_Faced, Skweeky or Bender from Europe
- NikkiD, ShareDaddy or Deckard from North America (there are plenty of options from that zone)

;)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by tilen76@16 February 2003 - 05:13
An example:
- Shinigami (if he really is from far east), he seems to be doing the job already, just without that additional powers
- UKMan, Rat_Faced, Skweeky or Bender from Europe
- NikkiD, ShareDaddy or Deckard from North America (there are plenty of options from that zone)

;)
:angry: Nooooo way Bender is becoming a MOD.....he is staying with us.....the people. :D

tilen76
02-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@16 February 2003 - 11:29
:angry: Nooooo way Bender is becoming a MOD.....he is staying with us.....the people. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny, he said the exact same thing.

I agree, we don&#39;t wanna loose Bender, but he WOULD make a great Mod. :(

Skweeky
02-16-2003, 10:49 AM
I just want a MOD with common sense.......that&#39;s all.
I don&#39;t mean that the current MODs don&#39;t have that, I just think that&#39;s their most important quality :)

Luca_Snipes
02-16-2003, 02:20 PM
like other people here I think that we need more mods to cover the times when no mod is here, other than that you&#39;re all doing a great job, keep it up :D

jetje
02-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by [O][T]@16 February 2003 - 02:08
I&#39;m a former Moderator @ GTAForums.com with 29,000 (I resigned)

[b]I want You to: Move topic&#39;s to the correct place and also inform why You did move the topic.
I want You to: Delete unwanted post or topic&#39;s.
I want You to: Pin important topic&#39;s more.

That&#39;s all for now I guess.

cheers,
BOT
That&#39;s pretty much what we do now... Only this is a very democratic board so some of those decissions we like to discuss in public, like for instance the debate on the signatures. B)

gumbydancin
02-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by jetje+16 February 2003 - 15:30--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetje @ 16 February 2003 - 15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--[T],

BOT
[/quote]
I agree with this statement. I get tired of having to scroll through all the pointless smile responses and off topic crap.

No offense FC

Crackedup
02-16-2003, 08:12 PM
The Mods should continue to attend Scooter runs and cause havoc during Bank Holidays. :lol:

tracydani
02-16-2003, 08:22 PM
I think you mods do just fine. But if you do make new ones, the idea of having mods for areas may make it easier(not excluding each from others areas though, just assigning priorities).

Oh yeah, and as was mentioned above, be a bit stricter on a few members. They tend to spoil the atmosphere.

Chilly
02-16-2003, 08:37 PM
If you are gonna get some more Mods.

You should open up a poll, so we the people can make our choice :)

Or start a topic as to who you want and why you have chosen that person.

What do you think?

Just to help tidy up the loose ends in posts etc.

FireATM
02-16-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by tracydani@16 February 2003 - 21:22
I think you mods do just fine.&nbsp; But if you do make new ones, the idea of having mods for areas may make it easier(not excluding each from others areas though, just assigning priorities).

Oh yeah, and as was mentioned above, be a bit stricter on a few members.&nbsp; They tend to spoil the atmosphere.
yeah like NeoShoyru. :lol:

Lamsey
02-17-2003, 01:36 PM
But one thing i think we need done is some pinned topics telling how much bullshit it is that kazaa is gonna be shutting down and one dispellng the rumors about the RIAA...

I think this would help. Some people get really riled by the RIAA stuff (Hi, FC :D ).

Maybe something should also be put in the FAQ about this?

Bender
02-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by El_Jefe@16 February 2003 - 02:49
Such as more board maintainence (moving, merging, splitting threads)
or more policing of threads and members( deleting spam, off-topic posts, rude posts, etc), or maybe a combination of the two.

Try to be somewhat specific.
For maintainence reasons no, I think the 3 Mods we have are doing their job very well, athough they would have an easier job with more colleagues.
For policing reasons yes please, for all of the reasons you mentioned.

Like other members allready said: there is not always a Mod or Admin present on the board, and that seems to be the time for some people to start spamming and act annoying.

So my idea of ideal modding is that there should be always somebody present.

edit: Damn&#33; One day offline and I missed the whole discussion&#33; :D

jetje
02-17-2003, 02:01 PM
Why were you ofline a hole day, the mods were sitting and waiting to reply you B) 24/7 B)

How Do You Want Your Mods?

Shaken not stirred

or is this the wrong topic (movie quotes)

Bender
02-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by jetje@17 February 2003 - 15:01
Why were you ofline a hole day, the mods were sitting and waiting to reply you&nbsp; B) 24/7&nbsp; B)

You got me there, Jetje. :D

But you have to admit there are a lot of times that there&#39;s no Mod or even an Admin present.
And I could know, as when I&#39;m not on the board, Skweeky is.
(We&#39;re kind of fighting for the keyboard all the time. :huh: )

ShareDaddy
02-17-2003, 02:50 PM
I think the mod&#39;s are doing a fine job, although I do tend to agree with the need for additional mod&#39;s to help cover the gaps.

I offer my services as always, especially since the verifieds section is down :( I am looking for things to do on the board.

However I think a poll is best, if the members have a voice in who is a moderator, I think the moderator will have an easier time moderating. Start a poll or at least a topic, first off to see who is interested in becoming a mod, then when you have the names of those interested, start a poll or topic on who the new mod&#39;s should be. In keeping with our current diplomatic ways this should suffice in continuing to offer a voice to all members while trying to better the board.

Yanks0826
02-17-2003, 04:50 PM
I want a female MOD&#33;&#33; That would be kick ass&#33;

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Yanks0826@17 February 2003 - 11:50
I want a female MOD&#33;&#33; That would be kick ass&#33;
:D Yes we have discussed that. :D

xeroxed
02-17-2003, 08:17 PM
I suggest cracking down on derailing of posts, bull shit posts (the "lol" and all smilie posts), spamers...

These types of people don&#39;t seem to get any type of slap on the hand or anything, at least imo, it seems they have free reign....

Maybe I&#39;m the onlyone anoyed by it though...

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by xeroxed@17 February 2003 - 15:17
I suggest cracking down on derailing of posts, bull shit posts (the "lol" and all smilie posts), spamers...

These types of people don&#39;t seem to get any type of slap on the hand or anything, at least imo, it seems they have free reign....

Maybe I&#39;m the onlyone anoyed by it though...
;) We get yelled at plenty.....trust me. :D

xeroxed
02-17-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@17 February 2003 - 16:10

;) We get yelled at plenty.....trust me. :D
and obviously ideal threats and yelling is doing nothing to stop it

<_<

jetje
02-17-2003, 10:21 PM
We do everything what is possible to control, please no reply FC ;) Or i have to close this one.
If you need to reply do that in the Lounge, start a new one....

johnboy
02-18-2003, 04:10 AM
I dont expect much from mods...the only thing i wish mods would step up on would be the disrespect between members

johnboy
02-18-2003, 04:12 AM
Let me take this opportunity to congratulate the mods on their great job...almost no spamming in this forum, and when there is its quickly taken care of...irrelevant posts are moved to their right location etc....good job

johnboy
02-18-2003, 04:13 AM
woohooo i&#39;m a senior member now :D

The Great Dude
02-18-2003, 04:13 AM
You could of edit your post. :P or couldn&#39;t wait to be senior member? The mods are doing good right now, alittle change is ok.

SuperJude™
02-18-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by johnboy@18 February 2003 - 05:10
I dont expect much from mods...the only thing i wish mods would step up on would be the disrespect between members
I think that is a natural part of message boards this size. Of course most things can be solved in chat or via PM, but some things just happen of course, and a bit of flaming never hurt anybody or killed a message board, long as it stays withing reason (no threats, no racist statements).

-SJ™

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-18-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by SuperJude™+17 February 2003 - 23:43--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SuperJude™ @ 17 February 2003 - 23:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--johnboy@18 February 2003 - 05:10
I think that is a natural part of message boards this size. Of course most things can be solved in chat or via PM, but some things just happen of course, and a bit of flaming never hurt anybody or killed a message board, long as it stays withing reason (no threats, no racist statements).

-SJ™ [/b][/quote]
:D Make this man a MOD. :D

SuperJude™
02-18-2003, 05:01 AM
You wouldn&#39;t want me to mod here d00d, trust me I am much more amusing as a member. I would be lame and middle of the road as a mod and we don&#39;t want that from our beloved SuperJude™ just as we love having our beloved FC as one of the rank and file.

;)

-SJ™

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-18-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by SuperJude™@18 February 2003 - 00:01
You wouldn&#39;t want me to mod here d00d, trust me I am much more amusing as a member. I would be lame and middle of the road as a mod and we don&#39;t want that from our beloved SuperJude™ just as we love having our beloved FC as one of the rank and file.

;)

-SJ™
:D I agree...when ever some wacko throws up a crazy idea of me being a MOD I&#39;m like dude.....I don&#39;t want it.....really.Have too much fun as a member. :D

SuperJude™
02-18-2003, 05:13 AM
B-I-N-G-O.

And there are people here who have the type of online persona that makes for a good mod on a site like this.

I mean would you really want me having all those IP#&#39;s?

LMAO&#33;

just kidding of course but yes I think I offer this site much more as a well spoken, intelligent but somewhat incendiary member lol&#33;

That&#39;s why I read your posts FC, you actually get a lot of things about this internet community thing that a lot of people seem to miss or not think about.

-SJ™