PDA

View Full Version : Nudity Around Kids

Skweeky
12-13-2003, 10:17 PM
The past few weeks I noticed that there is a lot of difference in the general attitude towards this topic, and I'm wondering what you guys think about it.

-Is it ok for parents to be naked around their kids?
-If yes, what's the age limit?
-Is underwear acceptable?
-Does it only count for parents or also for close relatives?
-Etc...

(I'll answer later on)

J'Pol
12-13-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@13 December 2003 - 23:17
The past few weeks I noticed that there is a lot of difference in the general attitude towards this topic, and I'm wondering what you guys think about it.

-Etc...

(I'll answer later on)
No
N/A
Yes
Certainly Not
TBA

Skweeky
12-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Ok, my view

I am raised pretty liberal, and I always found it normal to see my parents naked, or to walk around naked myself in the house. I did that until I was 12 or something.

I don&#39;t mind anyone seeing me in my underwear, in fact, all my nieces and nephews are used to it as they made a sport out of it to wake me up when they bring us a visit <_< :lol:

Now how about close relatives in underwear?

sparsely
12-13-2003, 10:46 PM
no
blah
no
of couse, for both

it&#39;s not about &#39;openness&#39;.
It&#39;s about a child&#39;s right to choose modesty, and not have cocks and vaginas in their face.

titey
12-13-2003, 10:50 PM
:huh: I don&#39;t see a problem wif it in the immediate family, so long as it don&#39;t make the child uncomfortable.

Skweeky
12-13-2003, 10:59 PM
How would a child feel uncomfortable around naked people if it is brought up that way?

titey
12-13-2003, 11:04 PM
:unsure: I wouldn&#39;t expect they would Skweeky.... unless they were teased about it at school or some such.

But if for some reason they were uncomfortable.... then I think the parents should respect that. ;)

Skweeky
12-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Myeah, I agree with you there titey.

3RA1N1AC
12-14-2003, 07:57 AM
in japan it is fairly customary for families to bathe together, and for strangers to bathe together in public baths... completely nude. it is rare for men & women to share public baths-- but when they do, they wear bathing suits.

of course, every culture is different, but it at least offers proof that there&#39;s nothing emotionally unhealthy for children to see their parents in the nude. and then there are certain tribal cultures (dwindling in numbers, i&#39;m sure) that still just walk around naked all the time.

it&#39;s got a lot more to do with social conditioning than with any sort of natural embarrassment, i think.

MagicNakor
12-14-2003, 10:36 AM
I&#39;d be willing to bet that those tribes don&#39;t live in places like northern Canada, or Russia. ;) Sometimes it&#39;s just not feasible to walk around naked.

:ninja:

Barbarossa
12-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@14 December 2003 - 06:57

it&#39;s got a lot more to do with social conditioning than with any sort of natural embarrassment, i think.
This is a good point, and applies to nudity in general, not just within families.

If you go swimming, you don&#39;t think twice about getting changed in a changing room full of naked strangers. Also if you play any team sports in your life, you don&#39;t think twice about jumping into a communal bath/shower with your team mates.

It&#39;s bizarre in this day and age with a wide variety of sexual orientation and lifestyle choices, that same-sex group nudity is perfectly acceptable, whereas mixed sex nudity is still a real taboo in our society. Which I think is a real shame... :P

Anyway to summarise, me and my wife are happy to wander round the house totally starkers, as are most couples I know, but I suppose it boils down to the question of when we have kids will we feel comfortable being naked in front of them. And the answer is probably not, but I&#39;d like to think that we wouldn&#39;t be all hung up and prudish about the issue, so that hopefully our kids wouldn&#39;t be either.

tracydani
12-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by barbarossa@15 December 2003 - 19:06
Anyway to summarise, me and my wife are happy to wander round the house totally starkers, as are most couples I know, but I suppose it boils down to the question of when we have kids will we feel comfortable being naked in front of them. And the answer is probably not, but I'd like to think that we wouldn't be all hung up and prudish about the issue, so that hopefully our kids wouldn't be either.
If you run around in the raw now, chances are you will have no problem when you have kid's either. At least up until a certain point.

Remember, your child will not even know you are nakid for quite some time, and as time passes you will not even think about it.

As for other family, no absolutely not(unless that is how things are done in your culture, but I am assuming this is meant for more modist cultures :D ).

I don't know what I think about the age cutoff as my kids are both under 5. I'll get back to you in a few years ;) ).

TD

oldmancan
12-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@13 December 2003 - 15:17
The past few weeks I noticed that there is a lot of difference in the general attitude towards this topic, and I&#39;m wondering what you guys think about it.

-If yes, what&#39;s the age limit?
-Etc...

(I&#39;ll answer later on)
Skweeky, ya crack me up. Shakes his head as he types, and ... I&#39;m replying.

Yes nudity around kids is acceptable to a point. As titey pointed out once a child becomes uncomfortable it is no longer appropriate. My guidlines would be pretty simple, as long as no one is offended or uncomfortable. Further that nudity would be "natural" not "in your face, just for the sake of it". As a childs matures and their awareness expands they will enevietably become uncomfortable. At that time a parent should respect (and cover up).

Based on individual growth rate - puberty age likely.

Yes, underwear is acceptable. At any age.

Counts for anyone living or staying at the family home.

People should be comfortable with/in their bodies. If their not they should work on getting comfortable rather than covering up. I&#39;m talking about natural nudity here without any sexual connotation.

Think of bathing suits, even on beaches where nudity is not allowed, you can see more skin than in a lingerie shop.

If I sleep nude and have to go to the bathroom at night should I have to stumble around and find something to put on? Just because Johnny or Suzie might see me?

So yeah if my teenage son has friends over, I&#39;ll put clothes on to leave my room. If only my son is in the house, I"ll probably put on some underwear. When the kids were little I wouldn&#39;t bother.

how&#39;s that Skweeky? btw What are you wearing?

cheers omc

edit: color thing

bob_the_alien
12-19-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by barbarossa@15 December 2003 - 11:06
If you go swimming, you don't think twice about getting changed in a changing room full of naked strangers. Also if you play any team sports in your life, you don't think twice about jumping into a communal bath/shower with your team mates.

It's bizarre in this day and age with a wide variety of sexual orientation and lifestyle choices, that same-sex group nudity is perfectly acceptable, whereas mixed sex nudity is still a real taboo in our society. Which I think is a real shame...
I don't agree with your statement.

With my family (when I was growing up) I saw my family naked, and even today when I go home, I still will sometimes see my parents in their underwear, with family it's just the way it is. I also have many different close friends that I am comfortable to be around them naked or in my underwear (and vise versa).

However, also when I was younger, I played a wide variety of team sports, and not once would I shower with the rest of the team, nor will I change clothing when I'm at a public swimming pool (which is very seldom, I have a problem with swimming in public pools, you never know what other people are doing)

With me it's always boiled down to just people I've felt comfortable around, and around people I don't know, or as with many of my now EX team-mates, people I don't even like, I prefer not to show my body to them or see theirs.

While I do agree that it's social conditioning, and If I lived in some other part of the world, I probably wouldn't card who saw me naked; living in our culture, I believe it also has to do with the individual, many people may find it social acceptable for same-sex group nudity, but they're are also many people who do not.

vidcc
12-22-2003, 06:08 PM
is nudity in itself the problem? if you look at some african tribes, and indeed other cultures clothing etiquette is far from our own. We all have bodies, there is nothing evil about our bodies. I for one would love to be able to have privacy when i am getting dressed etc. but my four year old thinks differently. We have taught the children not to expose themselves but are trying to draw a balance between modesty and a complex about nudity....we don&#39;t want them ending up not being able to change at school gym class.
the problem is not with children seeing their parents naked, the problem is with those evil minded perverts called paedophiles, but then the question is raised as to if a child thinks it&#39;s natural to see their parents naked would they see danger if one of those perverts undressed in front of them?
i suppose we all have to raise our children as best we can and try to teach them to be aware of what&#39;s going on around them.
i wish the world was a safer place but it&#39;s not, perhaps if we castrated paedophiles with blow tourches it might deter some of them but i doubt it would deter all of them...the death penalty hasn&#39;t stopped murder...mind you it stops that particular murderer killing again.

Gemby!
12-22-2003, 11:29 PM
personally i dont wanna see my parents nakey - but if others do so - and the child dont mind- its up to them and i see nothing wrong with it

etilaazak
12-27-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky@13 December 2003 - 22:40
I always found it normal to see my parents naked, or to walk around naked myself in the house. I did that until I was 12 or something.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jjack5159
11-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Nudity is fine around kids, We are back to the taboo thing...As long as you do not make it taboo or tell your kids this is "nasty" or dirty. Family nudism is the best. Talk to your child, understand his or her comfort level. Never make him or her do what is uncomfortable. Be open. But.... This opinion varies, family nudism should be started in my opinion when the child is younger not 10 12 or 14 yrs old...could be a shock to the kid! Set rules and boundaries when nude and do not cross them!! Family naturism has brought my family closer than ever, You will see a new found trust in your childs eyes and a bond of togetherness between your family that will strengthen.

manker
11-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Feck, an interesting topic!

My parents walked around naked a fair bit while my sister and I were growing up, especially while we were on holiday, until I (as the eldest) reached puberty and started telling them to put some fecking clothes on. Coincidently, to this topic being bumped, I found out recently that they did this deliberately as their own sets of parents viewed this as a huge taboo. In their own words, they considered their parents 'repressed'.

My Mam and Dad chatted and decided that nudity shouldn't be a taboo and acted accordingly, even now they get changed in front of me while I'm talking to them if they're getting ready to go out. It certainly hasn't harmed me in any way and, if anything, has made me more relaxed around them.

My own son is still very young but I can't imagine my ways of walking around the house with nowt on will change unless I notice him getting a bit embarrassed about it.

Busyman
11-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Some nudity is ok. For instance around my 4 year-old, her mom may be totally nude around her when changing clothes or giving her a shower. I have been in my underwear (very few times) around her but cut that out totally 'cause my my johnson sometimes peaks out the bottom. :lookaroun
I ain't ready for that discussion yet with her. The only time my 4 year-old walks around naked is right before I put her in the bathtub.

When I was young I saw pops and mom naked and thought nothing of it though.

I always walk around the house with no shirt on though....even around relatives and friends.

manker
11-18-2005, 03:32 PM
I have been in my underwear (very few times) around her but cut that out totally 'cause my my johnson sometimes peaks out the bottom.Really speaking, you should stop wearing thongs altogether.

===

Seriously, do you think this issue is different being a step-dad? My sister's husband is in a similar situation with one of her kids but not the other. Whereas my sister is the same as me and has no hang-ups about walking round in the nude, he won't even change in front of the girls.

Busyman
11-18-2005, 04:19 PM
I have been in my underwear (very few times) around her but cut that out totally 'cause my my johnson sometimes peaks out the bottom.Really speaking, you should stop wearing thongs altogether.

===

Seriously, do you think this issue is different being a step-dad? My sister's husband is in a similar situation with one of her kids but not the other. Whereas my sister is the same as me and has no hang-ups about walking round in the nude, he won't even change in front of the girls.
There is definitely an issue. I've been around since she was 2 but we all moved together right around her turning 4. It may have been different if she was used to seeing me from her babyhood. Now, it would be unheard of from my standpoint.

There was time, she was supposed to be in bed and I was in my underwear. I jumped on the computer to pay some bills and she came in next to me to complain about a bug in her room. She looked down and said, "Ewww Daddy!".

I looked down and my johnson and balls were hanging out of my underwear.:angry:

:O :( Nooooo!!!:( :O

Never will happen again I tell ya. I get out of bed for any reason and I'll have eat least shorts or pjs on.:angry:

manker
11-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Really speaking, you should stop wearing thongs altogether.

===

There is definitely an issue. I've been around since she was 2 but we all moved together right around her turning 4. It may have been different if she was used to seeing me from her babyhood. Now, it would be unheard of from my standpoint.

There was time, she was supposed to be in bed and I was in my underwear. I jumped on the computer to pay some bills and she came in next to me to complain about a bug in her room. She looked down and said, "Ewww Daddy!".

I looked down and my johnson and balls were hanging out of my underwear.:angry:

:O :( Nooooo!!!:( :O

Never will happen again I tell ya. I get out of bed for any reason and I'll have eat least shorts or pjs on.:angry:Musta been a shocker!

My sister thought there was nothing wrong in it and told me that her husband was being 'silly' - I told her that I agreed with his, and your, point of view.

Gripper
11-18-2005, 04:54 PM

-Etc...

(I'll answer later on)

Yes
since they started asking questions I dont think need answering yet:dry:
yes
girls seem to be comfatable around women in their undies,my son respects others privacy now(9),wouldn't want another male adult sitting round with his bits hanging out in front of my kids(they may realise I've been short changed :D )

Busyman
11-18-2005, 06:08 PM

-Etc...

(I'll answer later on)

Yes
since they started asking questions I dont think need answering yet:dry:
yes
girls seem to be comfatable around women in their undies,my son respects others privacy now(9),wouldn't want another male adult sitting round with his bits hanging out in front of my kids(they may realise I've been short changed :D )
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey daddy, your peepee and my peepee are the same size. Yayyyyy!!

j2k4
11-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Nudity is fine around kids, We are back to the taboo thing...As long as you do not make it taboo or tell your kids this is "nasty" or dirty. Family nudism is the best. Talk to your child, understand his or her comfort level. Never make him or her do what is uncomfortable. Be open. But.... This opinion varies, family nudism should be started in my opinion when the child is younger not 10 12 or 14 yrs old...could be a shock to the kid! Set rules and boundaries when nude and do not cross them!! Family naturism has brought my family closer than ever, You will see a new found trust in your childs eyes and a bond of togetherness between your family that will strengthen.

I hear Busyman paid you an enticement to resurrect this thread so that he might have an opportunity to talk about his johnson (and his balls, apparently) in open forum.

Is this true?:huh:

GepperRankins
11-18-2005, 11:08 PM
nudism is stupid. what do you do on those bumpy car rides, when the bumps get to you?

Busyman
11-18-2005, 11:33 PM

I hear Busyman paid you an enticement to resurrect this thread so that he might have an opportunity to talk about his johnson (and his balls, apparently) in open forum.

Yeah 'cause my johnson and nut sac hang out from my underwear and get kinda cold on a winter day.

GepperRankins
11-18-2005, 11:36 PM

Yeah 'cause my johnson and nut sac hang out from my underwear and get kinda cold on a winter day.
you might have a bigger dick, but at least i can swim :snooty:

wrong thread :unsure:

Busyman
11-18-2005, 11:46 PM
'Cause on a winter day, it's kinda cold when my johnso....

Gripper
11-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Is Johnson your tame white houseboy,or just someone that likes hanging out with you?

Busyman
11-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Is Johnson your tame white houseboy,or just someone that likes hanging out with you?
Are we going to go through the 'it's in the states' vs. 'it's in the States' discussion again?

RIF.:happy:

Gripper
11-19-2005, 05:24 PM
No,sorry I spend to much time in the lounge :)

Rat Faced
11-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Only thing that makes nudism wrong, is the dirty pityful minds of people.

We were born that way ffs, so it must be how "God" wanted us :snooty:

Busyman
11-19-2005, 09:14 PM

Yup.

If everyone was nude, as time went on, it wouldn't be an issue.

Nudist colonies seem to function ok.

j2k4
11-19-2005, 09:36 PM

As an aside, is your parenthetical reference to God significant?

Mr JP Fugley
11-19-2005, 09:47 PM

He didn't use parentheses mate, he used inverted commas.

You can be quite thick sometimes.

Barbarossa
11-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Nudist colonies seem to function ok.

Not so much, in Scotland... :mellow:

Rat Faced
11-20-2005, 12:35 AM

There are many religions on here.. rather than try and name all the "Gods" that are worshiped, something i couldnt do, I tried to suggest all with just the wrong word.

Wasnt getting at christians or any other religion.. although now you've put the idea into my mind... :P

j2k4
11-20-2005, 06:33 AM

There are many religions on here.. rather than try and name all the "Gods" that are worshiped, something i couldnt do, I tried to suggest all with just the wrong word.

Wasnt getting at christians or any other religion.. although now you've put the idea into my mind... :P

I've been put straight by JP on that point.

The inverted commas maneuver...haven't seen that for ages.:huh:

Rat Faced
11-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Before anyone notices, i'll apologise now for saying "the wrong word" in the above explanation.

I did in fact mean to type "the one word".

Freudian Slip.

Sorry.

lynx
11-20-2005, 11:31 AM
There's one big problem with nudity around kids that no-one has thought to mention.

Kids have cats.
Cats have claws, and like to play with dangly things.

From what he's said I think Busy could have a particular problem in this area. :pinch:

Mr JP Fugley
11-20-2005, 11:50 AM
There's one big problem with nudity around kids that no-one has thought to mention.

Kids have cats.
Cats have claws, and like to play with dangly things.

From what he's said I think Busy could have a particular problem in this area. :pinch:
His Magic Johnson.

Yogi
11-21-2005, 03:48 PM
A few more posts and this thread can be moved back to the lounge.:)

And we can start discussing inverted Johnsons......:D

sArA
11-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Walking around in underwear is ok but I wouldn't get my boobies out in front of my 10 year old son any more, he would be very embarrassed.

clocker
11-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Walking around in underwear is ok but I wouldn't get my boobies out in front of my 10 year old son any more, he would be very embarrassed.
Oh, I wouldn't worry about that.
For the next ten years or so everything about you will embarrass him.

Blythorama
11-22-2005, 04:34 PM
I think attitudes should vary from household to household and be subject to the interpretation of the individuals. Some kids are fine with it, and others get really embarrassed, depending on how self-aware or knowledgable that child is.

Parents should be sensitive to the child's attitude towards their nudity but I think, at the same time it is dangerous for nudity to be made into an issue around kids. Children are naturally inquisitive, especially about their, and other people's bodies and to excude witnessing nudity from the normal growing-up experiences could have repercussions to that childs psyche. At the same time, too much nudity around a child who is uncomfortable seeing the dangly bits of his/her family, could also be of harm.

Parents need to be careful to check how that child is feeling about it, and amend their behaviour if the child is uncomfortable. Particularly during the early teens when the child is trying to get weird feelings/puberty/the opposite sex/teenagehood straight in their own mind.

Rat Faced
11-22-2005, 06:13 PM

Unfortunatly she wont get them out for guests either :(

Nor will she walk around in her underwear for them.. :cry:

j2k4
11-22-2005, 08:19 PM

Hmmph.

Dirty.....and pitiful.:P

peat moss
11-23-2005, 02:37 AM
It's almost like the little ones reach a certain age then get embarrassed , which is cute . My boys 10 and 12 seem to be more comfortable around my wife nude than me . But I'v been known to tease aswell ,in fun but now that I think about it, its more natural with the wife than me .

Gripper
11-23-2005, 06:41 PM

Hmmph.

Why is wanting sara to walk round in her undies dirty and pitiful,I'm sure sara has very nice undies and there's nowt dirty about them,its that sort of attitude that makes nudity such an issue and taboo

j2k4
11-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Hmmph.

Why is wanting sara to walk round in her undies dirty and pitiful,I'm sure sara has very nice undies and there's nowt dirty about them,its that sort of attitude that makes nudity such an issue and taboo

'Twas naught but a play on Rat's post #35, gripper.

I'm quite sure Sara looks fine, undies or no, and that if she is wearing them, they are clean and presentable.

If for some unforeseen reason they were not fit for display, I'm sure she would dispose of them immediately, even if it left her, um....naked.;)