PDA

View Full Version : A Computer For Downloading...

SciManAl
12-13-2003, 11:27 PM
I was thinking of makeing a computer that can run silently with decent speed, but more importantly will stay on as close to forever as i can allow... also for as cheap as possible.

the purpose would be to allow files to download like e-mule and bittorrent, and kazza lite of course... this "node" will allow me to get more done on my computer without worrieing about downloads slowing things down...

i was thinking along the lines of an old 650MHz pIII (or II not sure) based system with one of those cheap 120 gig harddrives, and a generic mobo... looking at spending very little... mayby even a switch between m current mouse/moniter set up for the "server" comp... and mine what do you think? any tips? i can build it, although i bet a garage sale has one somewhere, i was wondering what would suffice, i think it will be fine... but who knows? i certainly don't... :)

lynx
12-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Sounds ok, just make sure you don't run into one of the bios size limits for the hdd. There's usually a bios enhancer from the drive manufacturer some software to get round this though.

Make sure the OS you intend to install will support the hardware. Better still, why not try Linux. You may get away with an even lower spec machine, though you may need a router for your connectivity. You would probably want that anyway so both machines can connect to the internet.

SciManAl
12-13-2003, 11:58 PM
i was going to hook it up to my gigbit lan... that should be fast enough... i was also thinking about linux, as it runs on even the lowest piece of shit computers... umm, but yeah... i am goinbg to be buying a second internet connection just for it to download with... trying it out... (stealling service) from a new dish based DSL thingy in my area... sounds insane to me, but i also talked to a buddie who says it can be free... and since it is essientally satielaite internet... i can be somewhat mobile w tih... (have no clue why though, mayby that LAN game bus could be be wirelesss... :rolleyes: ) but yeah i though even a crappy comp should be fast ebough to download... i figure lots of sdram ram should do it... mayby even an old school comp... i could steal one of them... they go unoticed... thanks for the input!

lynx
12-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by SciManAl@13 December 2003 - 22:58
mayby even an old school comp... i could steal one of them... they go unoticed...
I really can't encourage you in this sort of action. :angry:

Any chance you can get two? :P

DWk
12-14-2003, 12:07 AM
noooooo poor school....they do their best to give us puters and you steal them!!!!! :angry:

are you strong enuff for 3? ;) :P

Robert00000
12-14-2003, 02:10 AM
I use my old computer just for this purpose. It's a compaq system with 733mhz celeron processor. I would recommend a celeron over pentium 3 because it consumes less power and the fan is very quite.

I also have hard drive caddies fitted to both my computers, so i can hotswap the 120 gig hard drive between them, which is useful because i have a dvd-writer fitted to only one system. It also saves me having to network together.

You can get decent old systems from websites that sell off redundant stock., just do a few searches on google.

SciManAl
12-14-2003, 03:52 AM
cool, but i think i will raid the schools... local schools got 13 mil for comp upgrades... they can afford to lose some 1000mhz< computers... lol mayby a new g5 or two... (local school middles school btw got a hole lab of them...)

hahaha dude i guess the anarchy cookbook inspires me... lol i could get some comps... but i would have to get them to you... hehehehehe

mooseman2070
12-14-2003, 04:13 AM
it inspires me sometimes too man....
my school comps suck&#33; their laptops have no floppy or optical drives and they take like a year to load, boy i didnt know dells sucked so bad