PDA

View Full Version : This Is What I Want

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 02:14 AM
Hey I just wana make sure this is good..I really like this case and I want to put 2 Red cathode Fans in it and a red cathode...I think that will look tight! Lol will the red glow as well as the blue...and is that PSU very good?

Edit:...actually most of the red stuff looks kinda pink..I think the blue will look cooler..agreed??

DWk
12-14-2003, 02:19 AM
yea sure.....pending on what case? :rolleyes:

Virtualbody1234
12-14-2003, 02:39 AM
Looks awesome! :lol:

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 02:46 AM
FUCK!!! omg this is the 3rd time ive done this OMG! lol God I feel dumb..heres the link guys.. Here we go (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3539&sku=DRG-C-S%20ULTRA&SRCCODE=WEM602CV)

DWk
12-14-2003, 02:52 AM
lol its cool man dont worry..... and yea i think itll look cool...although im not a fan of modding :)

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 02:56 AM
I duno...the red would look cool cuz it would be like glowing redness bloodd..w/e lol but the blue would just look so cool..like literally it would look cold lol..and thats tight..so i duno how do yall like your lights and stuff???

Also, what is a good cathode that is BRIGHT and i pretty dark blue...anyone have some cathodes there happy with?

Thanks for all your help over the past months guys :D

raiserblade2003
12-14-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 December 2003 - 02:14
Hey I just wana make sure this is good..I really like this case and I want to put 2 Red cathode Fans in it and a red cathode...I think that will look tight!  Lol will the red glow as well as the blue...and is that PSU very good?

Edit:...actually most of the red stuff looks kinda pink..I think the blue will look cooler..agreed??
dont get 2 red fans w/ a red light. i got 2 blue fans w/ a blue light and the fan dont seem to show up at all when the light is turn on. but w/o the light, the 2 fans can light up the case pretty well.

hehe im looking at that case also but the blue one. im thinking of getting it after christmas

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 03:12 AM
Oh so you think just 2 fans would be better? like one in the front and one in the back? I kinda want to get the blue Cathode fans I think those would light it up well...

Blue Cathode Fan (http://www.xoxide.com/blucolcat80f.html) this one is kinda light blue and I want more of a dark blue..

Red Cathode Fan (http://www.xoxide.com/redcolcat80f.html) this one is a nice dark blue which I think looks real nice.

Blue Quad LED Fan (http://www.xoxide.com/quadligblule.html) this one is a darker blue fan which I like but I'm just not sure if it will light up alot.

So yall like having 2 colored fans rather then a cold cathode....I would think the one cold cathode would light it up much better.

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 03:16 AM
That PSU alone is $65 so I think its pretty good. I also like that case alot...The blue one is cool but just wouldnt really look good with cathodes. I only think black and silver looks good with cathodes. Well i duno lol

raiserblade2003
12-14-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 December 2003 - 03:16
That PSU alone is $65 so I think its pretty good. I also like that case alot...The blue one is cool but just wouldnt really look good with cathodes. I only think black and silver looks good with cathodes. Well i duno lol
im thinking of lighting the blue case w/ a uv light rather then a color one.

I would think the one cold cathode would light it up much better.
i didnt say it didnt, but when its on, u cant notice the fans at all if its the same color. and the two fans you provided should light up the case...but dimly.

i want to get this fan (http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/dd/1070407974566102/0/nc--/Cooling%20Products--System%20and%20HDD%20Coolers/1351/CoolMax%20Chameleon%207%20LED%20Switching%20Colors%20Fan)

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 03:27 AM
I would think those cathode fans would be the brightest fans..much brighter then the LED..newayz im just gona get 2 colored fans and 1 cathode i think so it will glow blue out the front and back a little bit too..and side..I dont care if the fans show up from looking inside the pannel..

How does UV work?

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 03:31 AM
That charmeleon fan is tight but I think I just want one solid color..prob blue with that case..I think I will prob mount a blue cathode at the bottom and one at the top of the side pannel and it will look tight...prob cost me about 30 bux or so..it says that deals good untill friday..and i got that email on thursday..so i duno if it ment last friday or this coming friday lolol

clocker
12-14-2003, 07:56 AM
I can't resist...

I think you would be better off forgetting what the fan lights look like and concentrate on how they cool off your system.
If you must have lights get cold cathodes.

Let the fans be good at what they're designed for and the lights can take care of themselves.

raiserblade2003
12-14-2003, 08:04 AM
lol heres clocker and his "dont make your comp like a carnival" speech :P ....wonder how long it will take till vb123 comes and make the same speech

clocker
12-14-2003, 08:21 AM
That is not what I said at all.

In my experience those LED fans and the cold cathode fans are inferior as cooling elements. All your money is going for the lights.
Get decent fans...Pabst, Panaflow, Sunon or the like and then get separate lights if you must.
I do find it odd that you seem to know more about what your favorite fan's lighting looks like and haven't mentioned once what their CFM rating or Db range is...

raiserblade2003
12-14-2003, 08:57 AM
lol we, like abu, want to have our case look like a "carnival ride" so we (or i) really dont care about how loud it is....my room window is open almost 24/7 and its right behind some playground so noise isnt really an issue.....besides, it prob not as noisy as my hsf.

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by clocker@14 December 2003 - 01:56
I can't resist...

I think you would be better off forgetting what the fan lights look like and concentrate on how they cool off your system.
If you must have lights get cold cathodes.

Let the fans be good at what they're designed for and the lights can take care of themselves.
very, VERY true my man. I thought most fans were all about the same...but what is a good CFM..or the airflow or whatever?? And what is a quite Db? Thanks clocker

clocker
12-14-2003, 03:49 PM
It's all relative dawg.
I was at MicroCenter yesterday and casually looked at fans/lights.
The 80mm fans with LEDs were around $12, the ones with cold cathodes were about $20.
Both versions put out less air and made more noise than the plain jane unlit unit at $6.
These numbers are usually on the packaging somewhere.

All I have been saying is to get good fans, deal with your airflow/heat issues first.
Then add lights to your heart's content....

abu_has_the_power
12-14-2003, 03:52 PM
bigdawg, if u want that to look cool, buy a dremel, and cut some designs. then make some fan holes on the side window. u'll need lots of lights in there. maybe it's just me, but it'll look good. y else would u buy a case with a window? i would suggest, since u have a full tower case, that u get get wc with this

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 04:11 PM
umm I dont have any tools to cut holes. I just want a clear side pannel and ill put like 2 Cathodes in it..one at the bottom and one at top..I think thats enough for me..do yall think blue or red would look better?

@Clocker- what is a good CFM (or whatever the airflow thing is) and what is a quiet Db? Anyone can answer this..not just clocker ;) lol I know WHAT they are..I just dont know what a good number for them is

I dont want watercooling. Im prob gona order that case and 500watt PSU today..since the thing cost 75 bux by itself I think the PSU is pretty good.

abu_has_the_power
12-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 December 2003 - 11:11
umm I dont have any tools to cut holes. I just want a clear side pannel and ill put like 2 Cathodes in it..one at the bottom and one at top..I think thats enough for me..do yall think blue or red would look better?

@Clocker- what is a good CFM (or whatever the airflow thing is) and what is a quiet Db? Anyone can answer this..not just clocker ;) lol

I dont want watercooling. Im prob gona order that case and 500watt PSU today..since the thing cost 75 bux by itself I think the PSU is pretty good.
something over 30cfm is ok. as for db, hmm... not really sure. but something loud enough for u to hear a slight humming is ok. any louder than that, u should get sound dampeners

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Well I cant hear it before I buy it..lol Actually I think we have one store in my town that has fans up and running..lol

clocker
12-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Just holding a fan in your hand doesn't really give you an accurate idea of it's noise level anyway.
Other factors come into play here.
Obviously, if you are comparing two fans, the one with the highest CFM and lowest Db rating is preferable.
BUT...

Your case will undoubtably have fan grills or even just a bunch of holes for the fan to draw air through. The front fans generally are the worst off, they have to suck air through little slits or even suck air UP from the bottom of the bezel.
Filters make the problem even worse.

Even a good fan is going to lose this sort of battle.
So you run the fans at 12v.
Then you get all sorts of whine/whistle as the air is drawn through whatever restrictions you have.

This ain't easy.
Why do you think I rearrange my case so often?
I'm still searching for the ideal balance between noise and cooling performance.

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 05:56 PM
I thought you were supposed to take a drill and drill out all of those little holes for better performance? Will that work..also will I wont need a fan grill for the fans in the front right? Since there covered by the bezel?

UGH I dont know why the companys put all those gay ass little holes..they should just leave it wide open that way we can buy our own grills and put them there.

clocker
12-14-2003, 06:05 PM
The ideal solution is to cut away the opening altogether...just a wide open round hole.
Of course, you are now inviting every spec of dust in the area to come party in your PC.
So you add a filter.
Now you've just cut back the efficiency that you gained by opening up the hole.
It's a trade off.

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by clocker@14 December 2003 - 12:05
The ideal solution is to cut away the opening altogether...just a wide open round hole.
Of course, you are now inviting every spec of dust in the area to come party in your PC.
So you add a filter.
Now you've just cut back the efficiency that you gained by opening up the hole.
It's a trade off.
Lol so basicly you cut holes to improve airflow, but you also have to put a filter to keep dust away so it evens it back out and makes your case looks worse cuz the hole prob wont be perfect and the filter will prob look bad...well if i just leave the thing they have with all the little holes I would think lots of dust would come in that way also!

Is it ok to just leave it how it is stock? and what about the front fans in the bezel..they dont need a grill right? and also i dont think so much dust would come that way..or i could just not worry about the dust that much and clean it once a week...since i could just open the side panel with the handle and vacum it out..not hard.

clocker
12-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Well, the filter won't induce noise the way the drilled holes do.
I gain about 1degC with filters in place, but the whiney noise is gone.
Keep in mind that all my fans are running on 7v so they are pretty quiet, but not moving huge amounts of air either.
I am working on a protype of a whole new fan/air management system for my rig...will post pics as soon as I get it up and running. Naturally, in order to install it I have to move all sorts of stuff, so it may take a while....

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Oh alright..so with the holes it makes a whining noise..never noticed that. So I think your telling me to cut out the holes and put the filters so it will be quieter which is what I want ..quiet! lol but I want it to move air good too..I will put 2 in the front bottom to bring air in and 2 in the top back to push air out...but if i drill the holes out then it wont look near as good...I think maybe I should leave it alone and see what it sounds like...then check my temps...(I will make sure theres some way to get air coming in the front through the bezel..I think its open right to the fans with the case im getting!) then maybe drill out the holes and check my temps... and if theres alot of dust..i will just vacum my system out regularly

Where can I get these filters and CLOCKER cant wait to see ur new project!

Also what do I drill the holes out with? Do i have to use like a big machine that has a thing that makes a perfect circle...I could go back to my middle school and use the shop there lol cuz me and the teacher are tight

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 07:34 PM
K im fixing to order the case I showed with a 500watt PSU!!

Here it is (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3539&sku=DRG-C-S%20ULTRA&SRCCODE=WEM602CV) Any objections?

abu_has_the_power
12-14-2003, 07:48 PM
i would cut out 2-4 holes on the window, in a pattern obviously, and then add good fans to each hole. the 1 on the top left corner would aid the psu and cpu. the 1 on the bottom would help the graphx card, the one on the bottom right would help the hd, and i guess 1 more on top rite isn't really necessary. but it works. since u have a full tower, u got enough space.

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 08:03 PM
On the website it puts that case in the mid tower category...but i think its good and thats what im prob getting.

Has anyone actually felt one of these Dragon series cases? Are they built pretty stable and everything?

Waiting for approval of this case..I think its good but I would feel better if clocker would say "yeah it seems pretty good" lolol. I dont wana drill into the glass...where would I get tools to do that anyways?? also i dont want that air blowing on my legs..its already cold lol.

abu_has_the_power
12-14-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 December 2003 - 15:03
On the website it puts that case in the mid tower category...but i think its good and thats what im prob getting.

Has anyone actually felt one of these Dragon series cases? Are they built pretty stable and everything?

Waiting for approval of this case..I think its good but I would feel better if clocker would say "yeah it seems pretty good" lolol. I dont wana drill into the glass...where would I get tools to do that anyways?? also i dont want that air blowing on my legs..its already cold lol.
something like htis, u need to put on ur table to show everyone. ppl with "brand name" computers put them under the table cuz they all look the smae. i put mine on my desk.

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 08:28 PM
Put it up on my desk..I didnt ask where to put it..did I?? lol I have it in my room and noone would see it..and my desk it all clutered and would look up there prob...I dont have any more room on my desk..and my brother would probably nock it off lol

abu_has_the_power
12-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 December 2003 - 15:28
Put it up on my desk..I didnt ask where to put it..did I?? lol I have it in my room and noone would see it..and my desk it all clutered and would look up there prob...I dont have any more room on my desk..and my brother would probably nock it off lol
lol. ok. but putting a beauty under the desk is abuse. lol. find some way. if u don't want too, that fine.

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Alirght..i think i will lol

This sucker is a mid tower..i dont know where you got full tower from lol

And how would I drill the holes in glass?

abu_has_the_power
12-14-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 December 2003 - 15:41
Alirght..i think i will lol

This sucker is a mid tower..i dont know where you got full tower from lol

And how would I drill the holes in glass?
it looks like a full tower to me. anyways, buy usself a dremel. if u don't want to cut glass, actually, i think it's reinforced plastic, but watever, u should get a dremel, and cut 2-3 holes on top of the case, or just 1 120mm hole. then mount some fans up there. doin it on the window is ur preference, but making holes on top is essential

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Ok I just ordered that case and PSU off of Tigerdirect.com

Are you saying I have to put fans on the top and in the glass of my system??

abu_has_the_power
12-14-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 December 2003 - 16:00
Ok I just ordered that case and PSU off of Tigerdirect.com

Are you saying I have to put fans on the top and in the glass of my system??
it's always helpful to put fans on top of ur case. i think blowing up too. as for the glass fans, u don't need it. but it looks good and keeps ur stuff cool

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Oh ok..well it all cost $95 after shipping and stuff...still a VERY good deal. I like the case and PSU alot and without cathodes it will still have a blue tint untill I can get the cathodes lol :D I dont think I will be drilling into it either lol

Thanks everyone for all of your help :beerchug: cheers to the Hardware Forum
:wub: I think i will love my new PC!