PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail Hates Me

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 12:09 PM
This is weird ... every time I sign in to hotmail the browser gives up - none of the keys work (like back , home...) , I can't shut down IE - and all I can do is kill IE with task manager. This only happens with Hotmail , all other visited sites work fine , and neither Norton nor Ad-aware can find anything out of the ordinary. Suggestions?

Kunal
12-14-2003, 12:47 PM
What version of windows and IE are you using?

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Win XP and IE6 - never had a problem with either of them.
! This stuff started around the time of the Hotmail makeover !

BTW signed your petition

Marius24
12-14-2003, 04:14 PM
hace your tried using outlook, i find it alot better to get to hotmail through that then IE

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 04:30 PM
1 - That would be an option , but most people only know my Hotmail adress.
2 - I'm getting my connection through LAN , and for some reason Outlook only "works" on the other PC - haven't had the time to look into this.
3 - Avoiding the problem isn't always a solution , I'd like to fix this.

I.am
12-14-2003, 04:31 PM
Dont worry, its not you, its Microsoft! ;) :lol:

Jokes apart, With new hotmail I dont see any new changes that would mess up things like that. You sure its only with hotmail? Try visiting some sites with Active X and javascripts.
Have you updated XP recently?

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 04:43 PM
I've added updates as they come in ( automatic updates). The new look didn't seem to be the problem , but you never know ...
Do you happen to know any sites where I can test Javascripts ? I've been through all my favourites , no problem with any of them.

Didn't get the "through Outlook" suggestion at first - I've added my Hotmail adress , so I can at least read my mail.

Cl1mh4224rd
12-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by fred devliegher@14 December 2003 - 17:30
Well, you can use Outlook Express to retrieve, send, delete, etc. emails on your Hotmail account. That's why Marius suggested it.

Marius24
12-14-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd+14 December 2003 - 16:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cl1mh4224rd @ 14 December 2003 - 16:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fred devliegher@14 December 2003 - 17:30
Well, you can use Outlook Express to retrieve, send, delete, etc. emails on your Hotmail account. That&#39;s why Marius suggested it. [/b][/quote]
:D

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Oh , why don&#39;t you rub it in... :P
Besides , I&#39;d still like this issue fixed - Outlook is fine , but it&#39;s just not.... the same...

wormless
12-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by fred devliegher@14 December 2003 - 16:30
2 - I&#39;m getting my connection through LAN , and for some reason Outlook only "works" on the other PC - haven&#39;t had the time to look into this.
3 - Avoiding the problem isn&#39;t always a solution , I&#39;d like to fix this.
u can put yr hotmail including the hotmail address through outlook express but outlook not safe

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 06:20 PM
Just how "not safe" is Outlook ? It&#39;s not like I have any critical information in my mails , but then again...
What would you recommend for e-mail? Plus , HOW do I FIX this Hotmail CR*P &#33;

wormless
12-14-2003, 06:22 PM
im saying its not safe because if u ge email from someone u dont know it opens the email on the bottom part but if u got norton u should be safe cause i think it protects it

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Just renewed the ol&#39; Norton subscription. I know what you mean - I don&#39;t even dare open my junkmail , fearing the crap that shows up... "buy a Master diploma" - THAT&#39;S WHY I AM STUDYING &#33;

So ... the Hotmail issue ?

I.am
12-14-2003, 07:39 PM
:lol: I like the way you are still stuck at the problem. Most people find alternate solutions and remain happy :lol:

Abt outlook, outlook and outlook express both are very unsafe. Norton email safe is ok but gives problems conflicting with xp updates quite a lot somehow. Mozilla Thunderbird is one of the most secure and open source programs i find helpful. I use both OE and Thunderbird and can find the difference easily.

The reason I asked abt xp update is because the newest hotfixes from microsoft tend to mess up most of the computers. Uninstalling them is the only solution or restoring to a previous point.
But that might not be your case if its only happening in on one site

Now for hotmail,
Did this always happen in the new layout? Or the problem started recenetly. Have you tried going to IE > Tools > Internet Options> Advance> Restore Defaults.

Try restoring to defaults to see if the problem is fixed. I doubt though but check it out.

Try any of the other msn sites other than hotmail and see if the problem persists.

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 07:49 PM
You are my God &#33; I worship thy &#33;

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Seriously , restoring the defaults made all my problems vanish - can&#39;t BELIEVE I didn&#39;t think about just resetting the damn thing...

This is exactly why I refuse to give up on a problem - eventually , someone comes along and saves your sanity.

Thanks &#33;

I.am
12-14-2003, 07:53 PM
:lol: :">

I am glad the problem wasnt that big&#33;

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Riight... you&#39;re done being my god.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

The M*THERF*CK*NG PIECE OF G*DD*MN CR*P broke down again &#33;

Someone give me my G*DD*MN shotgun , I&#39;m gonna kill however sold me this CR*P &#33;

( calms down , takes his medecine)

Right then - any more solutions ?

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Update : no problem with other MSN sites , Messenger works fine as well.
Ran virusscanner , ad-aware AND spybot to be sure - nothing.
Checked settings - all on default.

Losing ... will ... to live ...

I.am
12-14-2003, 08:02 PM
aww that being God part was fun, once more :lol:

here we go again :D

Like i said, try other msn sites to see if its ok otherwise you might have to do repair of IE through winxp setup cd.

Try checking out other sites I cant think of one right now which has all the things I am looking for. But fool around on MSN a little bit to see. If you get same problem you might have to do repair or reinstall.

Edit: Just saw your update. Try going to hotmail site again and this time dont open any other browser instances.
If it doesnt work, i would suggest doing a repair through xp cd. Or worst come worst uninstall it and reinstall again.

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 08:36 PM
:huh:

Browser instances? Oughtta help me out on that one... guess it&#39;s not the same as pop-ups :D

MSN hasen&#39;t given me any nonsense yet. And a reinstall seems somewhat harsh - wanna try to avoid that.

Marius24
12-14-2003, 08:49 PM
u tried outlook? :D

:ph34r:

fred devliegher
12-14-2003, 09:03 PM
No , I just said I used Outlook and hated the fact it opens up all selected e-mails because , well , I like the sound of it...

<_<

In case it didn&#39;t register , yes ,I now use Outlook. THAT DOES NOT FIX MY PROBLEM , IT JUST AVOIDS IT .

Do I smell a wiff of sarcasm ?

I.am
12-15-2003, 12:12 AM
No other instances of IE means only one IE window is opened at this time :)

So trying again with hotmail gave you same problem? There was a security hole in hotmail a while back in which one could run a javascript on their page. They fixed it right away&#33; Its hard to see if the problem is in IE or in a setting. You tried changing it to default and the problem went away for the time being and then came back again, is that right?

Reinstall is not that harsh. Its the thing to do these days if it gets corrupt. However your IE doesnt look corrupt. It only seems to have a problem with that hotmail sign in page. If you have a different browser you can try logging in and change the look of hotmail back to class. There is a way you can do it. Dont delete the cookies and use IE to sign in back. Although its not a solution to the problem ur having coz its hard even to know where the problem is. But it might just work for u.

Maybe someone else has faced the same thing and they can help you out. I am out of options right now. I would generlly clear cache, disk cleanup, defrag etc my computer to bring it in a good shape. If the problem is still there then would reinstall it.

Rip The Jacker
12-15-2003, 02:45 AM
Try another browser, IE is shitty and full of security holes. Give Opera (http://www.opera.com) a try.

fred devliegher
12-15-2003, 10:35 AM
Okay ... so now we&#39;re dumping IE alltogether...
Will this affect any other programs (compatibility issues)?

Marius24
12-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by fred devliegher@15 December 2003 - 09:35
Okay ... so now we&#39;re dumping IE alltogether...
Will this affect any other programs (compatibility issues)?
nope it shoudn&#39;t and if you find it does u will still be able to use IE

bob_the_alien
12-15-2003, 10:52 AM
If you&#39;re going to switch broswers go with Mozilla.

but I know you are actually wanting to stick with IE, so I&#39;ll try to give some help.
You could try using Java from sun instead of Microsoft&#39;s Virutal Machine, I&#39;ve seen the MVM cause many crashes to IE, and as soon as you install Sun&#39;s version (which by the way is not only the best version, it&#39;s also the original version) the problem goes away.

You could also try turning off scrip debugging in IE, this is located in Tools&#092;Internet Tools under the Advanced Tab.

If none of this works, I&#39;d say try reinstalling IE, you can get the latest version off of Microsoft&#39;s website, and see if that will possibly fix it. If not the only thing left to do would be e-mail microsoft and bitch, ALLOT, maybe they can come up with a solution for you.

fred devliegher
12-15-2003, 11:20 AM
I&#39;ll go look for Sun&#39;s version... might take some time , I&#39;ve got a lot of stuff to worry about these days. Thanks for all your help anyway &#33;

bob_the_alien
12-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by fred devliegher@15 December 2003 - 05:20
I&#39;ll go look for Sun&#39;s version... might take some time , I&#39;ve got a lot of stuff to worry about these days. Thanks for all your help anyway &#33;
forgot to post you a link, sorry

but here is where you can get it
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

fred devliegher
12-15-2003, 12:45 PM
D/l &#39;ed , installed , tested , aaaand....

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Guess what ? No change.

Is there some built-in XP nonsense that I have to scrap/shut up first ?

(At least now , I&#39;ve got the Java thingy - nice icon)

Marius24
12-15-2003, 12:52 PM
have u got all the xp updates?

fred devliegher
12-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Just added a videocard driver update no-one at M&#036; bothered to tell me about.
D/l &#39;ed , installed ,tested ... no change.