PDA

View Full Version : Good Colling Fan

pc-gamer-dude
12-14-2003, 10:33 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...-4005&CatId=802 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=674640&Sku=V13-4005&CatId=802)

will that be a good case fan for overclocking, i plan on getting 3.. 1 for the front, 1 for the back, and 1 for the top of the case. and im wondering if thats a good fan to get. it pushes out 54cfm at 28db running at 1500rpm.

links at top for the fan,
heres my case. (im cutting a hole in the front, resizing the hole in the back, and cutting a hole in the top)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=143220 (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=143220)

thx for the help.

pc-gamer-dude
12-14-2003, 10:36 PM
btw.. im also looking for some cool fan grilles, can you recomend any?

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 10:38 PM
I dont know much about fans but that 120mm pushes out a whole lot more air then the 80mm...I didnt think it was that much..but 2 fans in the front and 2 in the back (80mm) should be fine..Those stealth fans look very good and arent very loud at all.

Is 30Db or below very quiet?

pc-gamer-dude
12-14-2003, 10:41 PM
30db if i remember right is like pencil writing.

Virtualbody1234
12-14-2003, 10:41 PM
That's a good fan.

If you cut the rear to fit that 120mm fan and you make sure to open the lower front to let air flow in then you probably could use just 1 fan. I think 3 fans of that size is just overkill.

Virtualbody1234
12-14-2003, 10:45 PM
These standard chrome grills allow for great airflow without restriction.

http://www.lux-design.com/images/fangrill120.jpg

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 10:47 PM
It really depends on what you want. For a 120mm fan it doesnt push out alot of air...that is a vantec STEALTH

Heres a regular Vanted one Vantec Thermalflow (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=674644&Sku=V13-4009&CatId=802) It goes from 52-94 CFM, and from 29-39 DBA. That one would push out alot more air but will be slightly louder

TheFilePirater
12-14-2003, 10:48 PM
just letting u kno, those 120mm push ALOT of air, not fast but alot, and they loud, i got one in my front and i only turn it on when im doin anything like playing games

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Do you plug the fans power connector into the Mobo?

Virtualbody1234
12-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 December 2003 - 17:49
Do you plug the fans power connector into the Mobo?
I wouldn't. It's better to connect it directly to the power supply.

clocker
12-14-2003, 10:53 PM
I like the fan and think your placement sounds good also, although I would set both the front and the back fan to push air INTO the case and use the top to exhaust.
If you hook them to a fan control device you can balance the noise against cooling efficiency.
VB is correct about the front fan...make sure that it is not strangled by a convoluted intake path. Many cases put a fan up front and then make it difficult for them to get any air.

pc-gamer-dude
12-14-2003, 11:02 PM
im gonna go with the vantec thermalflow ones and do like clocker said, 1 in the fron suckin in cool air, 1 in the back suckin in cool air, and one in the top suckin out hot air. im going with 3 vantek thermalflow ones, im gonna run the front one at 54cfm, and the back one at 54cfm, and im gonna run the top one at max speed (94) plus im gonna get 3 of the chrome fan grilles that vb showed. i am not worried about sound at all. because i always have music going, or a game with the volume turned up. so not noise issue. thx for the help. any other recomendations would be great to. as far as cooling and case setup.

bigdawgfoxx
12-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Good choice.

Clocker wouldnt 2 fans blowing air in against each other cause alot of turbulance and stuff..I thought that wasnt good for cooling. I thought one in the front to pull air in and one in the back to pull air out was a good placement..cuz thats what im doing.

clocker
12-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 December 2003 - 16:35
Good choice.

Clocker wouldnt 2 fans blowing air in against each other cause alot of turbulance and stuff..I thought that wasnt good for cooling. I thought one in the front to pull air in and one in the back to pull air out was a good placement..cuz thats what im doing.
I think that a lot depends on the size of your case and the output of the fans.
Personally, I think that the whole concept of a uninterrupted flow through the case is a myth. Too many cables in the way and too many concentrated heat spots ( the HSF for instance).
Since cases are hardly airtight, I like the idea of positive pressure...the excess will bleed out through the many openings and dust incursion is minimized.
Of course every setup is going to be different, so the best test is still just to see if it runs cooler with the side panels removed.
Right now I'm just about the same with or without the panels...getting close...

bigdawgfoxx
12-15-2003, 12:59 AM
So you want it to have about the same temp with the side on as off? Does this show that there is good airflow in, through, and out of the case?

Also..Im prob gona put 2 Exhaust fans in the back and 1 or 2 intakes in the front..does that sound pretty good? 80mm

clocker
12-15-2003, 01:16 AM
Actually, if everything is right your temps will be LOWER with the panels on. This indicates that your airflow is working for you within the boundaries of the case. In this situation, removing the sidepanel would disrupt the managed flow and temps would rise.
I think that 2 80mm intakes in the front is a waste of electricity.

Where is the hottest spot in your case?
Probably all the way in the back under your PSU and around your HSF.
Do you think that two little fans all the way up front will push enough air all the way back there and cool things off?
Maybe, maybe not.

Why bring in your coolest, fastest moving air into the front of the case when typically there isn't much up there to cool off?

bigdawgfoxx
12-15-2003, 01:24 AM
Hmm...very good point. I have never thought of it that way. Are you saying I should put intake fans in the BACK and exhuast fans in the FRONT...that does make since...but hot air rises..so I figured it would be better to have the exhuast higher and in the back..

I guess I could try a few diff ways to see if which works best..what you think man?

clocker
12-15-2003, 01:35 AM
What I think isn't terribly relevant here, what I have done is.
My current setup ( the best so far, btw), has two intakes in the back, angled to push air directly onto the HSF, one fan behind the socket on the the mobo wall,flooding the back of the board with air, and one fan up front ducted directly onto the HDD. I also have two 120mm sized vents in the case roof ( but no fans installed there...don't seem to need 'em! There is a very noticable stream of air flowing up out of these vents).
I just finished a one hour run of Burnin test and the temps didn't budge.
In fact the CPU temp hasn't moved in hours so I opened up AsusProbe to verify that SpeedFan was reporting correctly.
It was.
CPU temp is now stable at 34C.
I'm a pretty happy camper. :P

bigdawgfoxx
12-15-2003, 01:43 AM
I BET YOU ARE! lol

Ok but I really dont want to angle stuff towards the HSF and all that crazy stuff. Hows this sound

2 intake fans in the back and 2 exhaust in the back. or 2 intake 1 exhaust?

clocker
12-15-2003, 03:16 AM
How much room do you have to mount fans back there?
Whatever you do, don't put a intake and an exhaust right near each other.

bigdawgfoxx
12-15-2003, 03:31 AM
TYPOOOO I meant to say 2 intake fans in the back and 2 exhaust fans in the FRONT!

Virtualbody1234
12-15-2003, 06:07 AM
Try to keep exhaust fans high in the case.

Heat rises.

clocker
12-15-2003, 06:42 AM
Indeed.
Ignore the front fans. Without a fair amount of work they are pretty useless anyway (IMHO).
Exhaust through the roof.
Let the natural convection flow work for you.