PDA

View Full Version : Computer Courses

BROCKSTER
02-16-2003, 08:07 PM
im 16 i took a year out and worked and now im wanting to do a full time computer course at college and i would like your opinions on which course is best to take to get me a better chance of a computing job??

i would be very greatfull for proper answers plz its for my future :(

heres a list there from different colleges so i will write em in and then u can say which

this is from one college

information technology

*btec gnvq intermediated in information and communication technology level2

*advanced vocational certificate of education in ict level 3

i can into any of the ones im writing goin by my grades im awaitin the rest of the books so do any of these sound good coz this is where i would prefer to go
thanks for any feed back :D

Luca_Snipes
02-16-2003, 08:41 PM
At the moment the best option to go for is a Networking/Communications type role, programmers and "internet" people (web design etc) are now all over the place and are finding it hard to find work, where by contrast System Admin/Network Admin type people are still in demand

Hope this helps you decide on your course.

BROCKSTER
02-16-2003, 08:55 PM
well i was hoping to do something on the more practical side of things like building them etc??

vivitron 15
02-16-2003, 10:41 PM
I'd probably do the GNVQ, cos the way things are going with the demise of the proper Alevel system, vocational Alevels, and GNVQs are becoming buzzwords.

If you want to get into the building them side, you'd probably be best looking at networks, and computer admin. This way, you'll be able to work for a company doing help desk style things, which will involve setting up new PCs when people mess theirs up, and helping to fix em, once they;ve messed up the new one. (you'll find people do that a lot)

There is plenty of scope for this kind of job, and you'll find that, with the right sort of practical experience, you'll go far. (I worked for an engineering firm with like a couple of hundered people max, and they had three permanent it guys, one of which had a degree in engineering, but he made more money doing the IT, than he could doing the engineering)

My advice to you, before i end up sounding too much like my dad, is to bum any kind of crappy, out of date, working bits off friends, neighbours, skips, anywhere, and make a PC. start from scratch, with anything you can get. Put it all together, and install OS. network it, and use it as a print server. Make another, create workgroups. make one pc a server, make it foolproof for users to access stuff you wouldn't want them to access. Basically, play around with crappy components, until you know what you're doing. Find a forum like this, with nice, friendly people in it, based on IT, and ask. Find out everything you can, so when you go to an interview, you can talk about the latest developmentsa in firewall technology and crap. You'll wow them with you're knowledge.

WOW, my longest post, i think! :D :D

BROCKSTER
02-16-2003, 10:48 PM
yo dude thanks that was a good post do u think workin my way up so to speak in a company would work or do u advise goin to college??

vivitron 15
02-16-2003, 10:56 PM
id say definitely college. do GNVQ 2, and then 3. This way you'll have enough knowledge on it to know that you definitely want to do it, and you'll have some "back up" qualifications.

After that, I'd reassess your position. If you enjoyed college, you could go on to uni, though for what you are wanting to do, i would reccomend working through a company.

so, basically for now, at least, go to college, and do GNVQ 2, and see what happens. you never know, after a year, you might hate the sight of them, in which case you have a GNVQ 2, which might help you elsewhere. (Even going for a job at woolworths or somewhere, you have something to set you aside from the next person, lets face it, what oldie isn't impressed with someone who knows their way around a PC?)

BROCKSTER
02-16-2003, 10:58 PM
okay thank you loooooooooooads this has really helped me a lot thank you :D i will apply uv re-assured me :D