PDA

View Full Version : Stable Mp3 Player?

pw3n
02-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Hi,

I dont have a CD burning drive so record any MP3's I want thru my hi-fi with a CD recorder using the Analog input, but I've had trouble finding a really stable MP3 player as any jumps in the track from the computer while I play it out = messed up CD.

I had winamp 2.*something* which worked well a long time ago on my old win 98 set-up but since then im on win2k and cant find anything really good / stable..

Winamp 3 was really slow, its skin was jerky and lagged me up, put gaps in songs and it took forever to load files and stuff so I uninstalled it and installed.. but I liked the auto DJ feature :unsure:

Winamp 2.78 which for some reason now bluescreens my PC about once every few hours.. I downloaded my latest soundcard drivers and the bluescreening increased noticably :blink:

Windows Media Player 9 leaves jerks / gaps in the tracks every so often, same with Musicmatch Jukebox

Ideally I'd want something like.. with no skin or fancy crap that I can leave playing while using internet explorer and stuff up without jerking the sound and messing up, and not bluescreening my pc (altho I believe thats a problem with some hardware but winamp seems to trigger it when windows media player and games that use sound don't...)

Any reccomendations? :)

DataMore
02-16-2003, 09:40 PM
I use WinAmp 2.80 and it has never EVER let me down.
I don't like WinAmp 3 either, it's waaay too slow.
WinAmp has that Crossfading DirectSound output plug-in that I find very good.

So my vote is on WinAmp 2.80. B)

PcH
02-16-2003, 09:40 PM
Winamp3. B)

Mivaro
02-16-2003, 10:12 PM
Winamp 2.8 never gave me probs, but you could try dbPowerAmp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/)....

pw3n
02-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Downloading 2.81 now (to replace 2.78) theres a possibility it'll not bluescreen hehe tho in the version changes list there was nothing about fixing really major bugs..

I know its a problem with my system thats making the bluescreens but the current winamp triggers it way way more than anything else *shrug*

download finished&#33; be back after another crash <_< *mumbles*

Grim
02-18-2003, 06:07 PM
Sounds to me like you havent set DMA for your harddisk. CHECK IT. If it doesnt support DMA then you&#39;re up shit creek. The most non fancy player is MPlayer2, its almost instant at loading. I find WinAMP3 to be very slow at loading up. I use WinAMP 2.70 to surf the NET. If you have it go to /options/preferences/display & check the "System Tray Only" box, this keeps WinAMP out from the taskbar.

Hope this helps

Nightwolf
02-18-2003, 06:56 PM
I use Winamp 2.81, and the only time I have a problem is if I run other programs while the music is playing. Then I get the occasional hiccup. You probably already know this, but make sure you disable your virus scanner and screen saver, as well as any other unnecessary programs that may be running in the background before you start recording (use Ctrl-Alt-Del or &#39;msconfig&#39; to check on this). Also, in Winamp itself, close the mini browser and don&#39;t use any visualizations. Under Preferences - Options, set &#39;Process priority class&#39; to Idle or Normal (whichever works best for you).

pw3n
02-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Sounds to me like you havent set DMA for your harddisk. CHECK IT. If it doesnt support DMA then you&#39;re up shit creek.

Sorry to sound like a stupid newbie ;) but how do I check this..?

pw3n
02-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Edit: I worked out the DMA thing its enabled and all..

The stop error is a "0x000000D1" DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL relating to sbpci.sys which is obviously my soundblaster driver <_< going to try installing some other drivers until one works.. If anyone has additional tips i&#39;d be grateful :)

Grim
02-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by pw3n@18 February 2003 - 22:04
Edit: I worked out the DMA thing its enabled and all..

The stop error is a "0x000000D1" DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL relating to sbpci.sys which is obviously my soundblaster driver <_< going to try installing some other drivers until one works.. If anyone has additional tips i&#39;d be grateful :)
Tip: Speekin thru experience here, if you have an internal modem, SLING IT. Get an external. Internal modems use system resources, external don&#39;t. My PC used to crash 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes more when surfin the NET & using audio at the same time.

Supernatural
02-19-2003, 09:38 PM
My internal modem have never given me any problems.

pw3n
02-19-2003, 11:04 PM
Hmm I used to have an internal modem but unplugged it / removed the driver.. theres also one as part of the motherboard which I disabled in bios and windows.. using a cable modem thru a USB port now..

I&#39;ve tried many things the last few days on trying to fix the blue screening tho I guess ill just have to buy a new sound card and see how that works (the one i have is some dodgy thing it cost like £8 or something.. It says creative on it but my theory is some dodgy aisian company just bought some creative chips and made some cheap soundcards and the dodgy comuterstore that does low low prices down the road bought some and sold it to me and now its broken :P )

imported_QuietSilence!
02-19-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Grim@19 February 2003 - 18:11
Tip: Speekin thru experience here, if you have an internal modem, SLING IT. Get an external. Internal modems use system resources, external don&#39;t. My PC used to crash 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes more when surfin the NET & using audio at the same time.
lol it dosnt make any diff if its internal or external just make shure its a good one not a junky software modem