PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Updating

uNz[i]
12-17-2003, 10:28 PM
I want to update Thunderbird 0.3 to 0.4

I went to the Thunderbird site, and according to that, I have to empty the Chrome folder if I've added any themes. I have added themes, but that's no big deal.

The site also says that it's best to completely uninstall Thunderbird to avoid getting buggy performance after updating.

So, is there any way I can uninstall Thunderbird and not lose my settings by backing them up somehow? Or do I have to completely reconfigure everything after the update?

Oh, and I have 2 Xp user accounts: 1 for me (admin) and 1 for my g/f (user)
Thunderbird is the default email client on both accounts.
So that may also need to be taken into consideration.

Any advice will be muchly appreciated. TIA

DarthInsinuate
12-18-2003, 12:21 AM
i think this is true for most programs, when you uninstall you don't uninstall your settings

but don't take my word for it, try the MozillaZine Forum (http://forums.mozillazine.org/) - they allow guest posting

uNz[i]
12-18-2003, 01:16 AM
Just searched the MozillaZine forum and this lil tidbit popped up..

delete your program folder. all your mail and setting are saved elsewhere. go to your profile folder. this is the place where all your settings are stored. delete the chrome folder. this wont delete settings or email. this will delete any themes and extensions you were using. this is neccesary since there are some toolkit changes in thunderbird. now unzip the thunderbird you downloaded to a new folder and your done.

aahhhh!

That's exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks very much, DarthInsinuate. :beerchug:

Edit: Typo