PDA

View Full Version : Patrionmagic

Livy
12-18-2003, 02:33 AM
what would happen if it lost power when it was moving a partition? would all data be lost

well its not actually partition magic, it volume manager 2. which is the same thing. its running from a bootable floppy and it stopped about 20% of moving the partition, and been like that fo about 3 hours, the mouse stil moves and i can hear hdd activity. and juts wondering what would hapen if i reseted.

balamm
12-18-2003, 02:56 AM
Did you uncheck the bad sector test in preferences ? Power off and it'll bugger up.

Livy
12-18-2003, 03:12 AM
no. but it did that and then went on and came up moving partition and moving data.

first ones been sat at 20% an 2nd at 18% is there anything i can do without it buggerin up. its been the same for about 3 hours. :(

balamm
12-18-2003, 04:26 AM
It usually runs the sector check while it's moving the data. Is the IDE light still flashing? If you have a large drive , like 60 gig or more, it could take over 8 hours to do the move with bad sector checking enabled.

I don't know of any way to reverse a partial move other than easy recovery.

Livy
12-18-2003, 12:15 PM
its ok now. :) i finished at 4 in the morning, took about 6 hours in total, its an 80 gig drive. i think it must have still been worrking, but not updating the progress

balamm
12-18-2003, 03:03 PM
lol, you had me a bit concerned! That happened to me the first few times I used it too. I never read the docs, I just dive in and use stuff :lol:

Livy
12-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by balamm@18 December 2003 - 15:03
lol, you had me a bit concerned! That happened to me the first few times I used it too. I never read the docs, I just dive in and use stuff  :lol:
yeah, same here. :D

but now i cant acces that partition, i have my drive as about 6 gigs as primary partition formated as ntfs. and the second secondary partition at 70gigs, using fat32, but in my computer its hsows as raw and obytes, but in volume manager it shows the right size and thats its a fat32 partition, and how much is used and free. :( whats wrong. :(

edit: and im using winxp.

balamm
12-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Did you have a look at the advanced properties on right click? Make sure the first partition is set active and unhidden. and the second should be set as logical extended. Use the error checking and extended info in PQ and see what it says.

Make sure you uncheck the bad sector test this time though ;)

Livy
12-18-2003, 11:16 PM
first is active and hidden. definately, and i can boot of it, ill just check the other one, it isnt a logical, it is another primary drive. and status is none.

balamm
12-18-2003, 11:29 PM
I don't think XP is going to like 2 primary partitions. If you're trying to hide one and dual boot, then go with boot magic instead.
I think ntfs OS's can still see a hidden partition unless you use advanced hiding like boot magic uses.
When (if) XP boots, it'll set the primary partition active anyway. where ever the bootloader is, that's the active partition till the default OS loads or you select another one.

Livy
12-18-2003, 11:31 PM
i aint tryong to dual boot the second partition is just for data, i tried setting it as a logical drive in the extended partition and its still the same.

balamm
12-18-2003, 11:37 PM
Odd. Anything on that partition yet?

Why fat32 then for storage? You'll lose about 4 gig using fat32 on a drive that size.

balamm
12-18-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Livy@18 December 2003 - 16:16
first is active and hidden.
I hope you mean it's NOT hidden ???

Livy
12-18-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by balamm@18 December 2003 - 23:37
Odd. Anything on that partition yet?

Why fat32 then for storage? You'll lose about 4 gig using fat32 on a drive that size.
dunno, i think i done it using fdisk, then never got round to converting it to ntfs. because i didnt use the old computer much., i usually use my laptop as it was better than old computer.

there is about 50gig of data on it, it was used as a 2nd drive on my old system. which was win2000.

weird, i just used the split command in partition magic, and juts moved one folder onto a new logical drive within the extended parition and its acesible, ill try recovering all the data that way and delete the old logical drive.

zolaisugly
12-18-2003, 11:48 PM
not sure if this is of any use but i think if you use a ntfs and fat32 with xp ntfs can not see your partion or write to it. either use ntfs or fat32 not both.

that is my finding when trying to expriment with either one. so now i just use fat 32

Livy
12-18-2003, 11:49 PM
nah, cant be i had a fat32 and ntfs drives on my laptop. and my old win2k system was the same.

Livy
12-19-2003, 12:46 AM
i think i have it now, i split the partition, and moved everything aprt from one folder with my psp8 files(my bro) to the new partition, converted it to ntfs. deleted the small partition with the psp files, and resized the new parttion so it took all of the extended partition.

100%
12-19-2003, 01:34 AM
I SINCERELLY advize you all to use Acronis PartitionExpert
instead of pmagic.

i have tried both - Pxpert is seriously faster, better, efficient and no fkng glitches as i found in Pmagic
this is not an ad this a time and life saver.
( ok. it is simpler)

There where 4 copies on kza+serial last time i looked
http://www.grabbars.com/images/Partition.JPG

balamm
12-19-2003, 02:33 AM
Did you know that acronis will not install on a server OS? No matter what you try, it will not.
Did you know that OS/2 warp 4 won't recognise a partition created by acronis?

Why is that do you think?

Maybe cause they know it's not good enough to be trusted ;)

It's always good to consider these things.

The discussion is about volume manager, the server version of PowerQuests partition magic, not the desktop garden variety.

100%
12-19-2003, 03:27 AM
Sorry, I didn't know i was talking to professionals here

For those Amatuers out there i stick to my statement if your looking for easy fast reliable Partitioning
(Yes - i did my Very 1st partition last week)

http://ffdf.free.fr/gifetjpg/dive.jpg

Livy
12-19-2003, 03:29 AM
the boot disks i was using were volume manager, but form within windows, i had to use partitionmagic as volume manager said it wasnt supported under winxp.