PDA

View Full Version : R & B ?

JONNO_CELEBS
12-19-2003, 11:52 PM
I see no end of ads on tv for R & B artists, just wondering what it stands for :unsure:

I think I know but I'm not sure :unsure:

Jonno B)

Snee
12-19-2003, 11:53 PM
Rythm & Blues ? :blink:

Proper Bo
12-19-2003, 11:55 PM
originally meant rythm and blues (as in jazz type music) but now it's just any pop music made by black people ;)

bigboab
12-19-2003, 11:57 PM
You will have to explain the rhythm part to Jonno, Snny. ;) The Blues I think he is up to date with.

JONNO_CELEBS
12-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Thankyou Bo, I knew what it stood for but I've been wondering whats Rythm and Blues about it :blink: Sorry but it's crap and to call it a style of music that comes from some great musicians (that would be people who actually play instruments and write their own material) is a complete insult.

Ok thats all, just wanted to make a point :D :lol:

Jonno B)

J'Pol
12-19-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee@20 December 2003 - 00:55
originally meant rythm and blues (as in jazz type music) but now it's just any pop music made by black people ;)
WHAT :blink: :blink: :blink:

Proper Bo
12-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+20 December 2003 - 00:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 20 December 2003 - 00:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Proper Bo@ I tell thee,20 December 2003 - 00:55
originally meant rythm and blues (as in jazz type music) but now it&#39;s just any pop music made by black people ;)
WHAT :blink: :blink: :blink: [/b][/quote]
:huh:
what don&#39;t you understand?

J'Pol
12-20-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee+20 December 2003 - 01:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Proper Bo, I tell thee @ 20 December 2003 - 01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@20 December 2003 - 00:59
<!--QuoteBegin-Proper Bo@ I tell thee,20 December 2003 - 00:55
originally meant rythm and blues (as in jazz type music) but now it&#39;s just any pop music made by black people ;)
WHAT :blink: :blink: :blink:
:huh:
what don&#39;t you understand? [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s not that I don&#39;t understand it - I just think it is pish.

Proper Bo
12-20-2003, 12:07 AM
well you sir, are an arse :P :lol:

J'Pol
12-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee@20 December 2003 - 01:07
well you sir, are an arse :P :lol:
Fair point - well presented.

Proper Bo
12-20-2003, 12:10 AM
Thankyou :)

Busyman
12-20-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee@19 December 2003 - 23:55
Is Teena Marie black?
Jennifer Lopez?

It is NOT just black people.

JONNO_CELEBS
12-20-2003, 12:35 AM
I think Bo was just being facietous (probably not how it&#39;s spelt.......Jpol??) but J LO is black :rolleyes: , well she&#39;s not corcasion :)

Nothing rasist here ok guys, I don&#39;t care what colour skin they have, they just sing crap sound ( I would say music but that would be wrong) :D

Jonno B)

TheDave
12-20-2003, 12:44 AM
its just pop now. the closest to hiphop (cos thats whats in now), that they can manafacture a song to

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
12-20-2003, 12:51 AM
:P There is a Place called MusicWorld for this. :P

And a Veteran like Jonno should know that. :lol:

Proper Bo
12-20-2003, 01:01 AM
I tihnk jonno was wanting a reply from me on this one, and had he posted it in musicwordl, i would never have seen it. Besides, there ar etoo many weirdos there anyway, funky :P :lol:

JONNO_CELEBS
12-20-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@20 December 2003 - 00:51
:P There is a Place called MusicWorld for this. :P

And a Veteran like Jonno should know that. :lol:
You&#39;re yanking my chain ain&#39;t ya :blink:

MusicWorld???.........WTF is one of them when it&#39;s at home :lol:

@Bo......Yeah I just needed the opinion of someone cooler than me :rolleyes: :P :lol:

Jonno B)

bigboab
12-20-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@20 December 2003 - 01:22
I just needed the opinion of someone cooler than me
Jonno I don&#39;t normally reply on music subjects. :lol:

Busyman
12-20-2003, 01:26 AM
I don&#39;t know how popular R&B is in other countries. In the US, I think it&#39;s second to Hip-Hop which are very much intermingled.
I remember when country music was the biggest seller here and now it&#39;s Hip-Hop.
My how times have changed. <_<

R&B includes:
the pedophile R Kelly
Beyonce and Destiny&#39;s Child
Jagged Edge
Brian Mcknight
J-Lo (who is hispanic not black)
Stevie Wonder
The Temptations and so on........

R Kelly&#39;s album is the shit though Jonno. I would never buy it (like usually do with good albums) because I won&#39;t knowingly support a pedophile.

JONNO_CELEBS
12-20-2003, 01:33 AM
Each to their own dude, everyone can like what they will :)

And of course, you have the right to be wrong :P :lol:

Nah all this crap they call R&B now is&#39;nt R&B, Johnny Winter would agree and so would a thousand real R&B artists, this is just modern day rap. By their standards Public Enemy is R&B :blink:

Sorry, it just bugs me with all these noise people making shit loads of money when they really have no talent to speak of.
Millions upon millions of people can do what they do (not just R&B but most of this manufactured crap) , we want more REAL bands, people who play music, write their own songs, play their own instruments and can actually play Live without lipsinking :rolleyes:

Just my opinion :)

Jonno B)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
12-20-2003, 01:34 AM
;) R & B is the 50s and 60s.

JONNO_CELEBS
12-20-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@20 December 2003 - 01:34
Thaaaaaankyou :) and the early 70&#39;s ;)

Jonno B)

bigboab
12-20-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@20 December 2003 - 01:34
I think you will find it goes away back to the 20&#39;s and 30&#39;s FC. Jeez I just replied to a music post. :(

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
12-20-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by bigboab+19 December 2003 - 20:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab &#064; 19 December 2003 - 20:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@20 December 2003 - 01:34
I think you will find it goes away back to the 20&#39;s and 30&#39;s FC.[/b][/quote]

:D No.That would be Jump Blues, Uptempo Jazz and Swing. :D

bigboab
12-20-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+20 December 2003 - 01:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 20 December 2003 - 01:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by bigboab@19 December 2003 - 20:42
<!--QuoteBegin-FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@20 December 2003 - 01:34
I think you will find it goes away back to the 20&#39;s and 30&#39;s FC.

:D No.That would be Jump Blues, Uptempo Jazz and Swing. :D [/b][/quote]
I bow to your superior knowledge, for now FC. :lol:

clocker
12-20-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@19 December 2003 - 18:33
Johnny Winter would agree and so would a thousand real R&B artists,
Johnny Winter???&#33;&#33;&#33;
A thousand "real" R&B artists may agree that Johnny Winter ain&#39;t one of them maybe....

JONNO_CELEBS
12-20-2003, 02:03 AM
Johnny Winter played Rhythm and Blues :)

Altho he was a master slide blues guitarist he also done a number of R&B style songs B)
Besides even his normal stuff like Highway 61 was closer to R&B than this modern crap is :)

Jonno B)

Busyman
12-20-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@20 December 2003 - 01:33
Each to their own dude, everyone can like what they will :)

And of course, you have the right to be wrong :P :lol:

Nah all this crap they call R&B now is&#39;nt R&B, Johnny Winter would agree and so would a thousand real R&B artists, this is just modern day rap. By their standards Public Enemy is R&B :blink:

Sorry, it just bugs me with all these noise people making shit loads of money when they really have no talent to speak of.
Millions upon millions of people can do what they do (not just R&B but most of this manufactured crap) , we want more REAL bands, people who play music, write their own songs, play their own instruments and can actually play Live without lipsinking :rolleyes:

Just my opinion :)

Jonno B)
Ahhh you are refering to playing instruments instead of the "synthesized" crap that&#39;s been out as of late.
I wholeheartedly agree.
I play 4 instruments and it pains me when I hear horns played on a keyboard but......being a musician, I write music as well and I cannot deny the composition of the music.
The manufactured sound is shitty yes, but you can play live all day long and your composition may not be pleasing to the ear. Go-go bands in my native DC played trumpet before now they use more keyboard.
The older music has always been best.

bigboab
12-20-2003, 02:20 AM
Just a wee note on that Busy. When I was fairly young 60&#39;s, I did not like the Beatles. I thought that they were taking the mickey out of the record buying public. Especially with the release of Yellow Submarine. It was a case of lets see what we can get away with. Till I heard (I think) Paperback Writer, then I thought hey this group are better than I thought. Later I found out that the record had been electronically produced in the studio. Imagine there was me right all along. :rolleyes:

JONNO_CELEBS
12-20-2003, 02:21 AM
True, compostion is an art in itself, trouble being is most bands now have it done for them <_<

I was talking to a guy about this the other day.
There was a tv show here called "Faking It", it was basically take someone from 1 walk of life (eg mechanic) and train them in 3 months to be something else (eg actor) and they are then judged by pro&#39;s against Real actors.

One of these shows had a classical Chelist (sorry if thats spelt wrong, she plays the chello) and in 3 months she was trained as a DJ for clubs.
She won, she convinced even Pete Tong that she had been doing it for 6 years yet she did&#39;nt even know how to turn the thing on before this show.
Now..........reverse that&#33; Take a DJ and in 3 months have them convince pro&#39;s that they have been playing Chello for 6 years&#33;

Impossible&#33;&#33;

Therefore there is not a lot to the art of DJing, sorry if thats harsh but no one can argue the above point&#33;

Still respect to anyone who performs because it&#39;s something I can&#39;t do.

Jonno B)

Keikan
12-20-2003, 04:53 AM
I thought it was rap & something else

sparsely
12-20-2003, 05:03 AM
if it&#39;s pleasing to a person&#39;s ear, that&#39;s great..glad it&#39;s there.
but if you listen to that crap around me, I&#39;m going to laugh at you, take your wallet,
and stick it in the dressing vat of the nearest salad bar.

camille
12-20-2003, 08:09 AM
RHYTHM & BLUES. Happy Holidays&#33;

Proper Bo
12-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@20 December 2003 - 03:21
True, compostion is an art in itself, trouble being is most bands now have it done for them <_<

I was talking to a guy about this the other day.
There was a tv show here called "Faking It", it was basically take someone from 1 walk of life (eg mechanic) and train them in 3 months to be something else (eg actor) and they are then judged by pro&#39;s against Real actors.

One of these shows had a classical Chelist (sorry if thats spelt wrong, she plays the chello) and in 3 months she was trained as a DJ for clubs.
She won, she convinced even Pete Tong that she had been doing it for 6 years yet she did&#39;nt even know how to turn the thing on before this show.
Now..........reverse that&#33; Take a DJ and in 3 months have them convince pro&#39;s that they have been playing Chello for 6 years&#33;

Impossible&#33;&#33;

Therefore there is not a lot to the art of DJing, sorry if thats harsh but no one can argue the above point&#33;

Still respect to anyone who performs because it&#39;s something I can&#39;t do.

Jonno B)
I could argue with that point jonno but I don&#39;t want to, as I agree with you ;)
BTW, as a music student, I feel I should tell you that it&#39;s spelt cello :P

brotherdoobie
12-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Music is a matter of perspective........
I have been playing drums for 16 years
I write my own compositions and lyrics.

However I do not consider myself superior
to those artist that do not.

Many of the artist you mentioned Jonno are singers
and their voices are their instruments.

This makes them less of an artist?
Besides for the money thats in "pop" music.....
I would shake my ass along with the best of them.

It sure beats the old 9-5 ;)
I used to believe that there was such a thing
as selling out........It was back when I lived with Mom
and Dad.

Now that I pay the bills.........Where do I sign sir? :P

Peace brotherdoobie

Busyman
12-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Keikan@20 December 2003 - 04:53
It has been called Rap & Bullshit. This old term was used for rappers that fell off by trying to merge rap and R&B.

J'Pol
12-20-2003, 06:28 PM
What matters to me is what the finished thing sounds like. I&#39;m not that fussed in the logistics of the creation. However I do not think synthesised music sounds the same as the real instrument. There simply aren&#39;t the same microtones and nuances.

I do not think you will ever get a machine which can create, or synthsise something like the guitar solo from Parissiene Walkways (The Ballads and Blues version). It is simply amazing, it was played that once and will never be played exactly the same way again.

To me, that is real music.

JONNO_CELEBS
12-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by brotherdoobie@20 December 2003 - 11:52

Oh no, no, I have great respect for singers, it&#39;s something I&#39;ve always wanted to do but can&#39;t, it saddens me that I can play a song on guitar, learn the lyrics in minutes but can&#39;t sing it for shit :(
So I take nothing from vocalists at all, what annoys me is people who have everything done for them, lyrics, dance routines makeup the works&#33;
All they do is what they are told to do and get shed loads of money for it.
It&#39;s handed to them on a plate and they take credit for stuff that is&#39;nt theirs, plus&#33;&#33; 90% of the time these people can&#39;t sing live.........have you heard West Life or the Spice Girls LIVE?.........They suck, and they very often lipsink........badly
Thats not artists, thats fakers.

Those who have real talent and the ability to perform I take my hat off to :)

I can&#39;t play in front of people, I get an involentry shake, not nerves but my hands shake and you can&#39;t play lead guitar like that, the only way round it is drink or drugs, neither of which I really want to do for that reason and I don&#39;t really want to go back to drugs anyway.
I was offered £600 for a 1 hour set on New Years Eve, .........I turned it down for this reason. :(

So anyone who can perform I respect but I have no respect for fakers

Jonno B)

bigboab
12-20-2003, 07:58 PM
@ I have no respect for fakers

I hoped that you spelled that right Jonno. :lol:

Busyman
12-21-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS+20 December 2003 - 19:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JONNO_CELEBS @ 20 December 2003 - 19:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-brotherdoobie@20 December 2003 - 11:52

Oh no, no, I have great respect for singers, it&#39;s something I&#39;ve always wanted to do but can&#39;t, it saddens me that I can play a song on guitar, learn the lyrics in minutes but can&#39;t sing it for shit :(
So I take nothing from vocalists at all, what annoys me is people who have everything done for them, lyrics, dance routines makeup the works&#33;
All they do is what they are told to do and get shed loads of money for it.
It&#39;s handed to them on a plate and they take credit for stuff that is&#39;nt theirs, plus&#33;&#33; 90% of the time these people can&#39;t sing live.........have you heard West Life or the Spice Girls LIVE?.........They suck, and they very often lipsink........badly
Thats not artists, thats fakers.

Those who have real talent and the ability to perform I take my hat off to :)

I can&#39;t play in front of people, I get an involentry shake, not nerves but my hands shake and you can&#39;t play lead guitar like that, the only way round it is drink or drugs, neither of which I really want to do for that reason and I don&#39;t really want to go back to drugs anyway.
I was offered £600 for a 1 hour set on New Years Eve, .........I turned it down for this reason. :(

So anyone who can perform I respect but I have no respect for fakers

Jonno B) [/b][/quote]
I also respect singers that also produce their own music but..
When I buy or dl an album, I just care about what it sounds like on the CD.
Let&#39;s say I liked the Spice Girls CD(which I don&#39;t). I could give two shits about their concert performance unless I paid money to see them.
In the Hip-Hop arena there are a number of studio rappers, but hell if their album is tight I&#39;m still getting it.
Most of the songs that hit the top charts are club (dance) songs. If you notice the trend with "gangsta" rap is their music isn&#39;t very gangsta at all. Notorious B.I.G. was one of the first. His music was very R&Bish.

FatBastard
12-21-2003, 03:17 AM
The Rolling Stones were a Rhythm&#39;n&#39;Blues band, so were the Yardbirds. In the 60&#39;s there were two distinct types of (pop) music in Britain. One was based on Rock&#39;n&#39;Roll, ie. The Beatles, and one on Blues, ie. The Stones. The Beatles were a pop band, couldn&#39;t play their instruments, and appealed to the lowest common denomenator. Where I grew up in West London we had heaps of real music, and it was based on Blues and Jazz. That&#39;s why the Beatles weren&#39;t as popular in London as the rest of the country. On the first gig of their first national tour they had the Yardbirds as their backing band. After that first gig, at Hammersmith Odean, the Yardbirds were sacked. The reason was the crowd were chanting for the Yardbirds to come back on, during the Beatles&#39; set. The Beatles were crap, and were panned by the London music press.

Evil Gemini
12-21-2003, 03:20 AM
Notorious B.I.G. was one of the first. His music was very R&Bish

:lol: i like that song "im f*cking you tonight"

balamm
12-21-2003, 06:23 AM
Real rythym and blues from the master, Jimmy Reed >>

Baby What You Want Me To Do.wma (http://members.shaw.ca/telfaq/BabyWhatYouWantMeToDo.wma)

http://folk.uio.no/olavt/BluesGitar/Gif/Jimmy%20Reed%20-%20CD%20very%20best%20of.jpg

Nimdock
12-21-2003, 06:38 AM
Rap and bullshit... I believe...

Nimdock
12-21-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Busyman+20 December 2003 - 14:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 20 December 2003 - 14:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Keikan@20 December 2003 - 04:53
It has been called Rap & Bullshit. This old term was used for rappers that fell off by trying to merge rap and R&B. [/b][/quote]
Missed this, somehow...