PDA

View Full Version : Here Is A Real Tweak To Speed Up Ie

imported_computerfreak76
02-17-2003, 02:52 PM
This actually fixes a BUG in MS Windows OSes that scan shared (remote) folders/files across the network for Scheduled Tasks, and can add a delay as long as 30 seconds (!), because it uses extra time to search the remote computer.

To do this, run Regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace
In the right hand pane highlight the {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} Value and delete it

I did this and now my IE simply flies. Give it a try and tell me if it works for you also.

RECOMMENDED: Export (BACKUP) this Registry key to a REG file FIRST, to be able to restore it (by running the REG file) if necessary. In Regedit: highlight the key name in the left hand pane -&rt; click "Registry" from the menu -&rt; select "Export Registry File..." -&rt; type a file name in the "File name" field -&rt; browse to the destination of your choice -&rt; push the Save button.

This Registry change takes effect immediately.
Just start MS IE while connected to the network/internet to see the difference.

NOTE: Upgrading to a future MS Internet Explorer release or reinstalling it may add this value to your Registry again, therefore you may need to delete it again after (re)installing MS IE

imported_uncle_cracker
02-17-2003, 05:05 PM
ok ...
so let's try :rolleyes:

cu

PcH
02-17-2003, 05:34 PM
I don't have that key. I guess I'm set. :)

AAA
02-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Read here http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/atips/atips14.shtml

And read here for more about this http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBD/tip1600/rh1677.htm

By the way, I use jv16 Power Tools (http://www.jv16.org) to play tweak the registry.

pw3n
02-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Well, I deleted it.. I didn't notice any big change yet but no big errors either :P so I'm not complaining ;)

johnboy
02-17-2003, 06:24 PM
ok did it...ill see if it works

Icebound
02-19-2003, 08:39 AM
i did it and now my speed is lower judging by the speakeasy.net test results. i'm stuck at around 960 d/l instead of around 1MB.

i wasn't able to do the export thing, so is there any way to create a new reg or what?

i've got cable and XP

thxnadv

Sir_Loki
02-19-2003, 10:33 AM
I removed it but it didn't do anything for me.

Icebound
02-19-2003, 09:39 PM
ok, this really sucks. my connection is noticably slower now because of this modification. how can i get it back to default? i was unable to do the export thing so i deleted it, thinking it would not affect connection speed - but it did. plz help me get back to where i was.

imported_computerfreak76
02-19-2003, 11:50 PM
icebound this tweak ONLY affects internet explorer it has nothing to do with your actual internet connection speed.

imported_computerfreak76
02-19-2003, 11:58 PM
here you go dude

HOW TO MERGE A REGISTRY FILE

In my internet tweaks I suggest using a .reg file, to make it is very easy. Just hold your left mouse button down and highlight the information to use (DO NOT highlight the *****begin copy and paste***** & *****end copy and paste***** lines, just the information). Once it's highlighted click your right mouse button and select copy then open notepad and right click again and select paste, the information is now in notepad. Now select file - save as and name it whatever you like (for simplicity use dnscache.reg) just make sure you add the .reg extension to it and save it to a location of your choice. Open the location where you saved it and right click on it and select merge then reboot for it to take effect.

oh and next time make sure you know what your doing before modifying your registry. see newbies have the title newbie for a reason!

mtenhoope
02-20-2003, 03:38 PM
ok that hurt. Noobies just haven't spent as much time as all y'all sooperdoodes posting replies. B)

imported_computerfreak76
02-20-2003, 03:54 PM
i didn't mean it like that

see the guy didn't follow directions and couldn't get his computer back to the way it was before he applied the tweak that was his own fault if he had followed directions he wouldn't have had to asked how to get it back to the way it was.

i was referring to the newbies thing because thats a newbie mistake and i should have said so but i meant newbie in regards to computers in general
any experienced computer user knows that before you do anything you have to back it up first or be able to get it back the way it was before you did what you did.

johnboy
02-25-2003, 10:13 PM
I tried this tweak and found it not to work. I just restored it to its original settings

imported_computerfreak76
02-26-2003, 01:13 AM
thats one thing about tweaks, they may work for some and not others.
always back-up before trying any tweaks!

SideSwiped
02-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Make a reg restore for any IE value simple, if using IE 6 just go to add/remove programs and click repair.

100%
02-27-2003, 03:07 AM
FOR MORE IE SPEED KICK

http://www.tweakxp.com/idealbb/view.asp?to...2-089E32766FA0} (http://www.tweakxp.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=578&sessionID={5EBD88CE-23C8-4CCE-8D92-089E32766FA0})

read lower region on page first

lunatacs
03-02-2003, 04:02 AM
useless, sorry to say but i didn't even have it.... :(

thanks anyway

Terrandus
03-03-2003, 04:42 PM
I tried this tweak and found that it did work.

In my house I have four computers connected through a lan. One of the computers has a DSL modem along with ICS enabled. The other three machines connect to that computer via lan to get to the internet. I tried this on one of the computers that connected to the internet through the lan. The computer I tried this tweak on is also running Win2000 pro with service pack 3, well all four computers are running Windows 2000 pro.

imported_computerfreak76
03-03-2003, 05:55 PM
hey thats what its all about if it works for some then it serves a purpose.

TClite
03-03-2003, 06:16 PM
try this well known site for more tweaks, a nice IE related one in there to load pages faster, although you will not notice an amazing fluctuation in your speed, but it seems to work tweak page, some hints and tips from speed guide.net (http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?threadid=73799)

SolidWing68
03-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Before doing this, don't just backup that one registry key, backup the entire registry in case. Click on File at the top, then Export, choose a file name, and for Export Range select All and hit save. If you make the tweak like the guy was saying and it didnt work, simply go back to File, and this time hit Import, to restore your default registry.