PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Women Make Men Stupid!

ZaZu
12-21-2003, 01:51 AM
Pretty Women Make Men Stupid!

Here's an example:If someone offered to give you $10,000 now or the same amount five years from now, you would choose to take the money today because there is no value in waiting. But if someone were to offer you $10,000 today or $50,000 in five years, you would probably opt to wait for the higher amount. This is called "rational discounting." If you were to take the $10,000 today, it's called "irrational discounting."

The study: McMaster University researchers Margo Wilson and Martin Daly wanted to find out if sexual mood influenced discounting behavior. They showed 209 male and female students pictures of attractive and not-so-attractive people of the opposite sex. Each was then offered a chance to win a prize. They could accept a check for between $15 and $35 tomorrow or one for $50 to $75 at some point in the future.

The results for the men: After a man viewed pictures of women who were of average attractiveness, they made a rational decision about the prize money and accepted the larger amount to be received in the future. But when they had just seen pictures of beautiful women, they discounted the future value of the reward in an irrational way and opted instead for the immediate and smaller cash outlay. In other words, after seeing a very attractive woman, the men were more likely to make dumb choices.

The results for the women: Viewing the photographs of men--whether they were sexy hunks or just run-of-the-mill guys--had no effect on women's ability to make rational decisions.

Why the difference? Wilson and Daly don't know, but they suspect that viewing pictures of pretty women is mildly arousing for men. If that's the case, it would activate neural mechanisms associated with cues of sexual opportunity. Tommaso Pizzari, an evolutionary biologist at Leeds University, offered another possible explanation to New Scientist: "If there's the prospect of getting a very attractive partner it may pay a man to take more risks than if an average partner was available."

Source (http://channels.netscape.com/ns/men/package.jsp?name=fte/prettywomen/prettywomen)

raiserblade2003
12-21-2003, 02:40 AM
this....make absoultely no sense....if i were given the choice, i take the money now. i dont care if there a picture (?!!) of a hot women in front of me, i still take the money now. you cant say that just cuz some men decide to take the money now, maybe they needed some cash....and how many ppl did they test to come to this conclusion

camille
12-21-2003, 02:49 AM
If I'm the one offered by someone, I'll take advantage. That's a rare opportunity. :)

fkdup74
12-22-2003, 06:54 AM
well, i can support the theory from experience :P ... :lol:
women have been the motive behind some of my dumbest choices :D
(but i think intoxication has the woman theory beat hands down :lol: )
yep, tequila's a real b*tch :lol:
but as for the money, i say forget if theres picture in front of me,
i take it now :P live for the moment, if a wad of dough is flashed in my face
i take it, how do you know the offer will stand in the future? ;)

vidcc
12-24-2003, 06:43 AM
did the study suggest that the average woman gives the money at the later date and the good looking woman gives it now????

swarnel
12-24-2003, 11:17 PM
dont know about you but id take the 50,000 in 5 years :huh:

ButWay
12-25-2003, 01:02 AM
The funny thing about this study was that the women was more exited about the hot cars then they where in the good looking lads

(they showed them pics of cars too)

TNTIcemanTNT
12-25-2003, 09:58 PM
Beautiful woman dont make me stupid, they just make my golden bishop stand to attention.

bujub22
12-26-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by raiserblade2003@20 December 2003 - 22:40
this....make absoultely no sense....if i were given the choice, i take the money now. i dont care if there a picture (?!!) of a hot women in front of me, i still take the money now. you cant say that just cuz some men decide to take the money now, maybe they needed some cash....and how many ppl did they test to come to this conclusion
i agree il take the money too! dont care how hot they are if they said hey 50 today 60 tommorow im coming back both days :D

but these conclusions they come up with dont decide every man's decisions
sometimes peaple just make stupid decsions now there just giving peaple more reasons to act dumb .

bujub22
12-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by ButWay@24 December 2003 - 21:02
The funny thing about this study was that the women was more exited about the hot cars then they where in the good looking lads

(they showed them pics of cars too)
this is jus called - golddiggers every women is one
jus like every man is a dogg in women's eyes so woof woof :D

Money Fist
12-26-2003, 07:03 PM
LOL
i agree with Bujub LOL

im lucky coz i have one fit girl and she aint after cash i know this coz
(im a broke ass BUM at the mo and since ive been out with her
5months ago)

i guess im a very lucky guy
i never make stupid decions tho