PDA

View Full Version : Ntl 1gb Download Limit

Zardoz
02-17-2003, 06:58 PM
I don't know if this has been posted before as I can't search for NTL (only 3 Characters)

h**p://www.dont-pay-ntl.co.uk/

PinkPig
02-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I really don't see why that's much of a problem. Even if you got a full 50k/bytes per second downloads speed, you could still be on for a quarter of the day at full speed.

You're paying for the speed, rather than the amount, and they have to put a limit somewhere. I know that BT broadband have the same restriction (leaflet arrived in the post a few days ago).

As for considering going back to 56k, you're very stupid if you think that, since even 24 hours a day internet access (which is against the conditions of most UK ISPs), you can't download anything like a Gigabyte per day - and a flat rate package will cost you around 1/2 the price of broadband just for that.

Fair enough, these broadband packages won't let you download at full speed 24 hours a day - but you're still getting an infinately better service than people (like me), who live in the 35% of the UK that STILL can't access the internet above 56kbs, whatever price we pay!

vivitron 15
02-17-2003, 07:38 PM
yeah, lifes a bitch...by far the best ISP is the one im with

£22.99 per month, unlimited .5 M bit. I have a router and so am technically connected 24/7, no prob. regularly dload about 1.5 gig per day.

ditch ntl, tell them you want your connection and activation costs back, cos they're going against what you agreed to when you signed up. then ditch them, tell them your going back to bt phone, and then they'll sh1t themselves.

Zardoz
02-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by PinkPig@17 February 2003 - 19:26
Maybe I'm missing something, but I really don't see why that's much of a problem. Even if you got a full 50k/bytes per second downloads speed, you could still be on for a quarter of the day at full speed.

You're paying for the speed, rather than the amount, and they have to put a limit somewhere. I know that BT broadband have the same restriction (leaflet arrived in the post a few days ago).

As for considering going back to 56k, you're very stupid if you think that, since even 24 hours a day internet access (which is against the conditions of most UK ISPs), you can't download anything like a Gigabyte per day - and a flat rate package will cost you around 1/2 the price of broadband just for that.

Fair enough, these broadband packages won't let you download at full speed 24 hours a day - but you're still getting an infinately better service than people (like me), who live in the 35% of the UK that STILL can't access the internet above 56kbs, whatever price we pay!

Firstly I'm not STUPID. You must be if you couldn't work out that the link isn't written by me it's just a link to more info
secondly why should I pay 35 quid for 1GB per day

And finally I signed up to NTL's unlimited service and they take it away without even telling me

If you can't see that sucks then I suggest you go back to your cave on Mars, Close your eyes and put you're fingers back in your ears.

pw3n
02-17-2003, 07:44 PM
I'm on NTLbroadband and heard about this..

I think ive broke 1 gig in a day im not sure, im only on 128kilobit connection.. I dont really think about it, just use it how I like, if they choose to harass me ill do as above, threaten to change isp etc. <_<

Zardoz
02-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by pw3n@17 February 2003 - 19:44
I&#39;m on NTLbroadband and heard about this..

I think ive broke 1 gig in a day im not sure, im only on 128kilobit connection.. I dont really think about it, just use it how I like, if they choose to harass me ill do as above, threaten to change isp etc. <_<

I think that&#39;s what most ppl will do, Me included

vivitron 15
02-17-2003, 07:47 PM
threaten to change isp
yeah, you&#39;ve got em by the balls, cos if you want to change to a normal ADSL ISP, then you need a BT phone line...bye bye NTL, then theyre stuffed

WhiteDevil2
02-17-2003, 08:27 PM
ive got an ntl 512k connection, from reading this forum it think ive realised why im now downloading a program at 0.59Kb/s :)

Talk about slowly but surely...

Zardoz
02-17-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by WhiteDevil2@17 February 2003 - 20:27
ive got an ntl 512k connection, from reading this forum it think ive realised why im now downloading a program at 0.59Kb/s :)

Talk about slowly but surely...

Mine also, I am not sure if there&#39;s a cap or they are trying to drive away large users by fucking with their connection
or it may be they have problems, but I doubt that

pw3n
02-18-2003, 03:21 AM
I sent all the NTL people from http://www.generally-bored.co.uk/email.htm a slightly annoyed and (imo) well written e-mail..

And reported them at http://www.oftel.gov.uk/consumer/advice/co...ct_us/step3.htm (http://www.oftel.gov.uk/consumer/advice/contact_us/step3.htm) :)

Just wanted to do my bit ;)

boogie_knights
02-18-2003, 11:53 AM
A 1GB download limit just sucks hairy ass. Geezus I&#39;ve downloaded more than that in half a day before down, In fact I&#39;ve probably uploaded more than that in a day too. I&#39;m with telewest on 1mb, and as far as i&#39;m aware we have never had any quotas set here. They said unlimited, always on connection, and thats what they better keep giving, or I&#39;ll pay them a visit.

Basically these companies have the UK consumer by the balls, as you all know there are only two companies in the UK that you can get broadband through. Either your cable company or BT, also there is no way you can say to NTL, goodbye I&#39;m going to telewest. So who you gonna go to? AOL :lol: Freeserve? :lol: :lol: well you need to have a BT line for those too. Its all bundled in two peoples&#39; favour cable and BT. So where is the competition really??? The same can be said for the pay TV market what choice do you have? At least the europeans and yanks have some choice.

BK

danne
02-18-2003, 01:56 PM
urk, hope they don&#39;t fook around like that over here (Sweden). On an average 24h period my u/l is roughly 5GB and d/l aboue 3GB. Guess I&#39;d break those limits eh ;)

pw3n
02-18-2003, 02:25 PM
Oh, and another NTL complaint..

Anyone else have that nasty tacky plastic cable modem over heat and stop working several times a day?

It&#39;s still winter&#33; but If I have central heating on and it gets a bit to cosy here then fizzle.. off goes the cable modem until I unplug it for 15 mins then restart my pc.. I predict in the summer if it gets hot for long periods of time it wont work at all.. and the stupid thing is "rented" so i cant make holes in it and attatch a fan either <_<

Amarjit
02-18-2003, 06:16 PM
Go with one of those broadband ISPs that don&#39;t have caps on your downloads or any other shit like that.

Simba_Pepsi
02-18-2003, 06:37 PM
I am on BT Openworld Broadband (Not BT Broadband thats a diferent company) I regulaly download 1.5GB a day with no problems. Unlimited, always on connection.....it&#39;s great.

stoi
02-18-2003, 06:51 PM
OK. I dont see what all the great fuss is about here i was on the NTL 600k line till a week ago but as i have my own ftp server the upload speed was crap 128k or 15KBs so i decided to get the 1MB line which has the 256k or 30KBs upload, so its quicker to shre what files i have with others.

OK the thing is with this cap, they only send you a letter if you go over the limit 4 days out of a consecutive 14 days, then you get a letter, so what its only a letter asking you nicely not to hog all the bandwidth for other users, they arnet going to ban ppl from using there cable lines as they are in to much debt already to do that.

and what i think is that B"bloody"T have a monopoly of broadband in the uk, you can get a 2mb line in city centres with BT but the most you can get with other companies in a 1MB line. so NTL is trying to get some figure together to show the government that the need for higher connections is out there 2MB 3MB 10MB anyone, so they need to send ppl letters to show proof to the government that a lot of ppl are using the net excesively and the government caves in and allows them higher connections.

I am very happy with NTL at the minute even with this so called cap, but yesterday i downloaded nearly 2gig and i never once seen a decrease in my speeds.

Ok thats just my thoughts but i believe that if enough ppl go over the limit regularly and get letters of disaproval then it wont be long before we see very high broadband limits for the average home user. (on ntl not BT)

stoi

Zardoz
02-20-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by stoi@18 February 2003 - 18:51
OK. I dont see what all the great fuss is about here i was on the NTL 600k line till a week ago but as i have my own ftp server the upload speed was crap 128k or 15KBs so i decided to get the 1MB line which has the 256k or 30KBs upload, so its quicker to shre what files i have with others.

OK the thing is with this cap, they only send you a letter if you go over the limit 4 days out of a consecutive 14 days, then you get a letter, so what its only a letter asking you nicely not to hog all the bandwidth for other users, they arnet going to ban ppl from using there cable lines as they are in to much debt already to do that.

and what i think is that B"bloody"T have a monopoly of broadband in the uk, you can get a 2mb line in city centres with BT but the most you can get with other companies in a 1MB line. so NTL is trying to get some figure together to show the government that the need for higher connections is out there 2MB 3MB 10MB anyone, so they need to send ppl letters to show proof to the government that a lot of ppl are using the net excesively and the government caves in and allows them higher connections.

I am very happy with NTL at the minute even with this so called cap, but yesterday i downloaded nearly 2gig and i never once seen a decrease in my speeds.

Ok thats just my thoughts but i believe that if enough ppl go over the limit regularly and get letters of disaproval then it wont be long before we see very high broadband limits for the average home user. (on ntl not BT)

stoi

What a load of horse

NTL aren&#39;t cutting back on usage as a benevileng guesture to it&#39;s users.
It&#39;s cutting back so that it can make more profit.

Limited Bandwidth / Average usage = Number of possible paying users
Limited Bandwidth / Reduced usage = Increased profits for NTL

What I&#39;m realy pissed of about is that we weren&#39;t informed of the removal of my unlimited access.
also the potential to say that people have been warned and are still being "Unreasonable"
(NTL will define inreasonable in their own self interest) and then reduce their service by force

they say they will not cut people off but they don&#39;t say they will not reduce your service
to say DIAL UP.

stoi
02-20-2003, 12:21 PM
i dont agree with you Zardoz, if everyone runs and hides or think oh crap i got a letter id better stop downloading then we are never going to see better speeds for the home user with NTL or Telewest or any other broadband company other then B"licking the governments ass"T.

Its not like they are going to cut ppl of, if they do and you can prove it then i might change my mind but until that day comes just download as much as you can and faster downloading for us.

Its not hard to see what they are doing if you want to run away and join telewest then thats your decision, but personally im going to download as much as i can when i want, and see what they do to me, if they threaton to kick me then fair enough, but i think they might say, ok you have donloaded X amount of data in so many days, would you like to be a tester for our new high speed internet service T1 T2 T3 line whatever and we will give you it for just an extra £## a month when it should cost £### a month.

If im wrong then i will own up to it, but they cant kick everyone who foes over that limit they wouldnt have many customers left.

stoi