PDA

View Full Version : Cable

scottwile
12-22-2003, 02:59 AM
hello,
i run windows xp home. When i leave my computer for a while the internet doesn't work when i come back and wake it up. i have basic cable internet. the modem is still on and show that everythign is working fine, but its not! to fix the problem i turn the modem off, unplug then plug it back in and turn it on again
thanks for the help

camille
12-22-2003, 03:23 AM
So, there's nothing wrong about your system. :)

Robert00000
12-22-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by scottwile@22 December 2003 - 02:59
hello,
i run windows xp home. When i leave my computer for a while the internet doesn't work when i come back and wake it up. i have basic cable internet. the modem is still on and show that everythign is working fine, but its not! to fix the problem i turn the modem off, unplug then plug it back in and turn it on again
thanks for the help
Does your ISP have a download limit?

scottwile
12-23-2003, 04:02 AM
I'm not sure. how would i check?

~FunK_mOb~
12-23-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by scottwile@23 December 2003 - 05:02
I'm not sure. how would i check?
Go to their site or give them a call.
The information on wether or not you have an dl/ul limit should be mentioned on their site.But that shouldn't stop your internet from working fine,I think.(but what exactly do you mean with the internet not working,did it freeze?)
I have an dl/ul limit of 10gb per month and when I'm over that my speed get's cut back to the speed of a 56k(untill the beginning of the next month).

;)

MadDog-2000
12-23-2003, 07:16 AM
I used to be disconnected from the Internet when I still had 56k modem and if my connection was idle for more than 30 minutes. I never heard of cable ISPs do that because it is supposed to be an always ON connection. If your cable modem suports it, you can go into its configuration menu and see if there is some kind of feature activated that will disconnect you, if you are idle for too long. Whatever it maybe be, call you ISP up and ask about that.

Robert00000
12-24-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by scottwile@22 December 2003 - 02:59
hello,
thanks for the help
What happens when the internet doesnt work? Does internet explorer (or which ever browser you have) show an error page when u double click it? or do the downloads just freeze up?

Do you have any anonymous browsing software installed like steganos internet privacy?