PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Stop This?

KARLOZ25
12-22-2003, 04:57 AM
Everytime I start up my PC, a whole bunch of junk opens up also. Not just programs, but like notepads and shared folder and a couple outside error pop-ups?

where on my pc can i go to regulate what i want to run while windows loads up?

thank you

raiserblade2003
12-22-2003, 04:58 AM
for the programs, u usually have the option to turn it to dont start up as window start....but i have no clue y notepad and folders would open when window start? maybe there is spyware, but i dont think thats the prob.

KARLOZ25
12-22-2003, 05:00 AM
If there is spyware, how can i get rid of it?

or find out where and what it is ?

raiserblade2003
12-22-2003, 05:09 AM
you can search on google for some spyware destroyer....or go to the software section of the forum....and search spyware and im pretty sure ull see a lot of programs to destroy spyware

KARLOZ25
12-22-2003, 05:11 AM
thanks ill look for some.
:D

I.am
12-22-2003, 05:12 AM
You can check about the applications by going Start > Run > msconfig

and under Startup you can choose what you want.

Everything should be under this. You can see some user made things in by browsing under
C:&#092;documents and settings&#092; <your user name> Start menu &#092; Programs&#092; Startup

If you think its a spyware you can get this (http://security.kolla.de/) and scan your system.

First check the two things i said above.

ps: how is this related to hardware world :blink: It belongs in software world. :)

Evil Gemini
12-22-2003, 06:13 AM

Reminds me of this prank i did on the school PC&#39;s

I made a bat file and pasted c:&#092;windows&#092;notepad.exe like over 100 times and made a shortcut to it and when someone ran it, notepad will flood the screen :rolleyes:

I.am
12-22-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Evil Gemini@22 December 2003 - 01:13

Reminds me of this prank i did on the school PC&#39;s

I made a bat file and pasted c:&#092;windows&#092;notepad.exe like over 100 times and made a shortcut to it and when someone ran it, notepad will flood the screen&nbsp; :rolleyes:
That isn&#39;t funny. You are one of the people who spoil the names of "hackers" by being a lamer/cracker/kid.

How would you feel if someone did that on your computer? Get a life & grow up&#33;

Edit: The work of all these sites that create scripts on your computer without your permission knowledge is so disgusting. I see that guy I would probably kill him :rolleyes: but i have bot roaming around that counter acts them. thats the least one can do.

bob_the_alien
12-22-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by I.am@22 December 2003 - 02:00

That isn&#39;t funny. You are one of the people who spoil the names of "hackers" by being a lamer/cracker/kid.

How would you feel if someone did that on your computer? Get a life & grow up&#33;
Now normally I would agree with you I.am, but in this case I can not.

I mean a school&#39;s pc isn&#39;t like a person&#39;s home pc, and when different people pull pranks on school pc&#39;s, especially teacher&#39;s PC&#39;s, I always found it funny, when I was high school.

And I know everyone always has to quote the fact that doing things like that, just costs the tax payers more money, but yeah right, the government is going to take that money anyway, whether they need it or not, so big deal if they have to spend it on a school.
What costs money really is when representatives and senators decide to give themselves a few hundred thousand dollars a year raise, oh but that’s just cost of living expensive. So their also going to need money to go all around the world on and whatever else they can come up with.

Anyway though, getting back on subject and away from politics, I do not find this funny to do to a single person’s machine, but on a school or work pc, I think it’s freakin’ hilarious.

I.am
12-22-2003, 08:23 AM
bob_the_alien, maybe i got serious on this one.
But sometimes things like this provoke those freshman kids just to show off. Changing a screensaver, wallpaper etc. is hilarious. Even a tweak here and there could be interesting but loading the memory with the same copy of a program would increase the memory usage on your computer for that it in severe cases could even crash your pc(not through notepad though lol). Unfortunately, these people for the kick of it turn into the one&#39;s who make spywares and adware.

You reach college, just because of the same reason, right click is disabled, run command is disabled. All the logs are kept strictly for every action. And then we complain for the lack of things we can do there.

Even if the pc&#39;s crash in college, government isnt gonna pay for that. Education funds are already allocated and unfortunately are hardly ever increased unless that university is doing some research for some defense program. The people who actually pay turn out to be the students themselves for these things. And more security follows.

Now Evil gemini, I am not saying you do, just talking in general. You are quite far from there and I hope you always do. :)

camille
12-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Check your task manager. :)

bob_the_alien
12-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by I.am@22 December 2003 - 02:23
bob_the_alien, maybe i got serious on this one.
But sometimes things like this provoke those freshman kids just to show off. Changing a screensaver, wallpaper etc. is hilarious. Even a tweak here and there could be interesting but loading the memory with the same copy of a program would increase the memory usage on your computer for that it in severe cases could even crash your pc(not through notepad though lol). Unfortunately, these people for the kick of it turn into the one&#39;s who make spywares and adware.

You reach college, just because of the same reason, right click is disabled, run command is disabled. All the logs are kept strictly for every action. And then we complain for the lack of things we can do there.

Even if the pc&#39;s crash in college, government isnt gonna pay for that. Education funds are already allocated and unfortunately are hardly ever increased unless that university is doing some research for some defense program. The people who actually pay turn out to be the students themselves for these things. And more security follows.

Now Evil gemini, I am not saying you do, just talking in general. You are quite far from there and I hope you always do. :)
Well, I have to say, i really meant high school and under, cuz i have yet to see anything of this sort on a pc at any of the 3 college&#39;s I’ve attended, just figured, since you paying to go to school, you would be a little bit more serious about such things.

So I agree with you there, and all the politics talk came about from thinking in terms of high school and under, I know I was big into screwing around with teachers pcs back then (nothing funnier in the world, than watching a teacher you hate, trying to figured out how they got locked out of their own PC :lol: ), but once i reached university level, that was cut out, had more important things to deal with, like what i was going to do with the rest of my life.

And one other note, I&#39;ve never been on a computer at college that I did not have full reign over, usually I can do whatever I want, well except for messing around on the campus network, but on the local computer nothings every disabled.

But they do a ghost of the system, and at least once a week and usually more, all systems are reset, so no matter what you do to the system, within a few days it&#39;s gone anyhow. (Which sucks sometimes, when your in a programming class, and forget to make a copy of your work on disk :angry: )

Evil Gemini
12-22-2003, 04:20 PM
You are one of the people who spoil the names of "hackers" by being a lamer/cracker/kid.

I.am, chill man ffs

Maybe you think of your self as a "hacker" or "cracker" but i sure as fuck dont.

I have never said i am a cracker or a hacker. Im not pretending i am one or anything.

Im not a "kid" i am 22 years old and this was like 7 years ago.

I made a bat file and pasted c:&#092;windows&#092;notepad.exe like over 100 times and made a shortcut to it and when someone ran it, notepad will flood the screen

Did i mention anywhere that i made a crack or hacked something ??

No i fucking did not.

What has hacking got to do with making a bat file anyways ??

I.am
12-22-2003, 11:13 PM
:D I read my post this morning and was laughing :lol: Seems like I was stressed out last night.(and i was :blink: )

What I meant was, kids at school try their fun things and start with writing batch files. They boast themselves as the words i mentioned. I dont regard myself as anything but a web developer and a programmer. I am not a hacker but have great respect for the real one&#39;s who are.

Besides, doing under highschool is ok i guess :lol: I had my own moments so I shouldnt say. :D

I was only aiming these things about college. :)

Peace
I.am :)

Evil Gemini
12-23-2003, 01:53 AM
:beerchug:

Its good to keep the peace :)

kaiweiler
12-23-2003, 02:46 AM
scheduled tasks maybe?

I.am
12-23-2003, 09:22 AM
He needs to let us know whether it solved the problem if not only then more options are needed. :)