PDA

View Full Version : Xp Reinstall?

Rizindon
12-23-2003, 03:13 PM
im planning to reformat my hardrive and reinstall xp i got a xp disk because my new laptop aint got a floppy drive what shall i do because when it starts set up it asks for those 6 disk which start setup will it work it i put them floppies on 1 cd-r or soemthing???????

LTJBukem
12-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Have you tried installing XP yet, or are you just assuming you'll need the floppy boot disks?

You don't need bootable floppies to install XP.

:)

skelley521
12-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Just boot with the cd in and follow the on screen instructions.
Pick and choose the options that you want.

Paul Thurrott's Site (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp) may also give you some good reading.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Evil Gemini
12-23-2003, 03:27 PM
when it starts set up it asks for those 6 disk which start setup will it work it i put them floppies on 1 cd-r or soemthing???????

Nah man, go into your bios and set the boot device to cd rom and just use the windows XP cd.

Robert00000
12-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Rizindon@23 December 2003 - 15:13
im planning to reformat my hardrive and reinstall xp i got a xp disk because my new laptop aint got a floppy drive what shall i do because when it starts set up it asks for those 6 disk which start setup will it work it i put them floppies on 1 cd-r or soemthing???????
Just insert XP disk into cd/dvd drive (you can install XP without needing to re-start your system). If it doesnt autorun double click the XP cd icon in My Computer and follow the instructions.

* Before you re-install make sure you delete current partition, or else it will create another partiton and install windows there, so you will end up having two partitions with windows *

If your copy of windows is an OEM version it may only give you the opportunity to do a clean install in any case over the current windows, but make sure you pay attention to what its doing.

Rizindon
12-23-2003, 04:32 PM
no i need to know what to do wit them 6 disks how do i boot from them what if i put them on cd and boot from that

ck-uk
12-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Mate just follow any of them instructions above.You dont need floppies mate with xp,its bootable with all the tools provided.As far as i can rembr the only time it asks for floppies is if you hit one of the "F" keys for an automated recovery. :)

LTJBukem
12-23-2003, 05:39 PM
* Before you re-install make sure you delete current partition, or else it will create another partiton and install windows there, so you will end up having two partitions with windows *

Not true. The XP installation process will prompt the user to either create/delete partitions, or use an existing partition. ;)

:)