PDA

View Full Version : What If Saddam Was Set Free?

vidcc
12-23-2003, 05:23 PM
here is a terrible scenario, but what would the US and indeed the worlds reaction be if Saddam was tried in an Iraqi court and found innocent ? ( i don't think he is )
would the world be able to accept that verdict from the people he is supposed to have comitted these crimes against ? and further what would the reaction be if he stood in the democratic elections and was voted into power?.

this question is designed to encourage intelligent debate and not ill thought out personal attacks on any other persons opinions. read the question properly before answering please, i know most people do but there is always someone that goes way off mark

J'Pol
12-23-2003, 05:37 PM
I think it highly unlikely, however you do post the question.

If he were to be found not guilty of offences in Iraq, under Iraqi law, then the international community would have to accept that. There is absolutely no way that we can say he should be tried by the people of Iraq and then not accept their verdict.

However if he were found not guilty of offences in Iraq, there may be other offence of an international nature which he would have to stand trial for, in front of an International Tribunal. That would really depend on what offences he was tried for under Iraqi law and the scope of those offences. It would be impossible to answer that unless one knew on what charges he had been found not guilty.

We do not know the form any new Iraqi political system will take. However I suspect that anyone standing accused, as he will be would not be able to stand. If he has stood trial and been found not guilty, by the people of Iraq and the International community, then he should be allowed to stand for election and be elected. I see no reasonable alternative to that.

dwightfry
12-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Well, I think that the only good reason for this war was to free the Iraqis. The WMD was obviously bullshit, and Sadam had nothing to do with 9/11. If Sadam was freed and actually elected president of Iraq, then it would show that they didn't want to be freed and the entire war would have been pointless. My hatred of Bush would go up and that's about it.

guttertrash
12-23-2003, 06:40 PM
I wasn't for the war, but there is no way in hell he would be set free. He would be lucky if they don't kill him, or cut his arm, or dick off or what ever kind punshiment they have in those parts.

RAM%ROD
12-23-2003, 08:44 PM
He would end up like Dodi Fayed.

kAb
12-23-2003, 09:03 PM
if he was found not guilty, the international courts would decide to try him and find him guilty

Aimless6
12-24-2003, 10:56 AM
I still think he will have an unfortunate accident before the trials even start.

100%
12-24-2003, 12:19 PM
If he is set free....
then he is innocent
then he can start sueing America
and claim payback for all damages inflicted on him, the country and the people.
I guess then Bush will have to "captured"

RAM%ROD
12-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Zedaxax@24 December 2003 - 12:19
If he is set free....
then he is innocent
then he can start sueing America
and claim payback for all damages inflicted on him, the country and the people.
I guess then Bush will have to "captured"
By who ? Tony Blair. :P

Mr AnDy D
12-24-2003, 07:43 PM
iraqi's hate him...if he was set free I would kick george bush in the balls!

lynx
12-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@23 December 2003 - 16:37
We do not know the form any new Iraqi political system will take. However I suspect that anyone standing accused, as he will be would not be able to stand.
I think you are probably right that this will be the case. However, we should remember that this sort of process is used in some countries to prevent opponents from standing in elections. It was probably used by Saddam himself.

Odious as it may be, if an electoral process begins before his trial, and in the unlikely event that he wishes it, he should be allowed to stand. However, the election process should not be allowed to interfere in his trial.

I would expect a trial in Iraq would concentrate on the crimes he committed against the Iraqi people, so even if found not guilty I would expect an international court could and would subsequently try him for war crimes.

vidcc
12-25-2003, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE]I would expect a trial in Iraq would concentrate on the crimes he committed against the Iraqi people, so even if found not guilty I would expect an international court could and would subsequently try him for war crimes.

what WAR crimes is he accused of ? i understand the accusations of crimes against his own people and i'm not picking up on your comment but am asking as i am not sure just exactly what he is being accused of internationally..after all this time war came to him, whatever the reason really was.
He was not called to trial for crimes in the gulf war and on this occasion as far as i can see his country was invaded..let's be honest about that fact.. so his army would of course defend its homeland. no WMDs have been found or were used against the coilition and i don't actually remember him threatening to use any against another country..eg. the USA (that said i have been too busy with a new addition to my family to keep up with current affairs in detail), i think Saddam was an evil dictator who deserves to be punished, however i do feel that he reacted as any other leader would, could anyone ever imagine G.W.Bush disarming because another country told him to ? or allowing inspectors into look at every military establishment on the mainland (or world wide) ? i don't think so...so what made the world think that Saddam would ? but i am digressing off topic when i asked people not to.

i hope you all had a fantastic Christmas..and if you don't celebrate Christmas i hope your day was pleasent.

RAM%ROD
12-26-2003, 04:31 AM
Saddam could be tried in Kuwait for the gulf war 1 invasion then extradited to Israel and tried for the Scud missile attacks during gulf war 1 then tried in Saudi Arabia for More Scud missile attacks from gulf war 1.

Israel was not even part of that war and he still bombarded them with scuds.

the.gringo
12-27-2003, 05:32 AM
lets face it whatever court he goes to hes gunna be found guilty, hes a murderer.

Billy_Dean
12-27-2003, 07:13 AM
He won't be tried in any international court for obvious reasons. Read some of the transcripts of Milosovic's trial in The Hague. They get to bring everything up, who sold them what, how it was paid for, who supplied intelligence, everything. You think the US wants that? He'll be tried in Iraq, found guilty and executed. All neat and tidy.

:)

chinook_apache
12-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by RAM%ROD@23 December 2003 - 20:44
dodi fayed died in a car crash what the heck are you on about? you a rite twat you

vidcc
12-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by chinook_apache+27 December 2003 - 21:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chinook_apache @ 27 December 2003 - 21:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RAM%ROD@23 December 2003 - 20:44
dodi fayed died in a car crash what the heck are you on about? you a rite twat you [/b][/quote]
i think it was reference to one of the conspiricy theories...and there is no need for name calling :nono:

J'Pol
12-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Name callers are all pathetic nobheads.

Lamsey
12-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@27 December 2003 - 20:20
stf... oh never mind

vidcc
12-28-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@27 December 2003 - 21:20
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
but my laughter in no way confirms approval or otherwise as to the nature of your posts...don&#39;t want you to be accused of being a teachers pet as well :rolleyes: