PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update

ninjamonkey
12-23-2003, 10:42 PM
i used to be able to dl windows updates by clicking on an icon in the try on the taskbar. however, i haven't seen that icon for months. I'm pretty sure theres been updates in that time. does anyone have any ideas why the icon hasn't been showing up?

BTW, I'm getting an update from the windows site right now and its taking forever. Updates never took this long before.

TheFilePirater
12-23-2003, 10:51 PM
perhaps it got turned off?

ninjamonkey
12-23-2003, 10:52 PM
where would i turn it on or off?

-=Cyrus=-
12-23-2003, 10:54 PM
In IE just go to Tools/windows update and it will take you to the update site :D

ninjamonkey
12-23-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by -=Cyrus=-@23 December 2003 - 22:54
In IE just go to Tools/windows update and it will take you to the update site  :D
i know, but that wasnt my question. my question was about the tray icon and why my update is installing so slowly. btw, it is still installing...this is ridiculous.

SP1
12-23-2003, 11:17 PM
System Properties > Automatic Updates :)

ninjamonkey
12-23-2003, 11:24 PM
hmm, everything seems to be set up correctly.
is there any harm in exiting out of this update installation? its taking too long and it says "running processes after installation"

AndrewBarker
12-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by ninjamonkey@23 December 2003 - 21:42
BTW, I'm getting an update from the windows site right now and its taking forever. Updates never took this long before.
Well, if you haven't updated in a long while, there's going to be more to update (and install)

so it will take longer.

and/or the update site may be busy.

ninjamonkey
12-23-2003, 11:37 PM
its just service pack 1. i dont see why my instant updater didnt detect it. i think its been otu awhile.

Xero Grid
12-24-2003, 12:11 AM
service pack 1 takes FOREVER sometimes. It has been known to hang, If this happens, sometimes you have to open task manager (press Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and select the task for the update. It should be windows update, I forget the name of the task, bt it is probably taking a ton of your sysem reources. It shouldn't be too difficult to fin by yourself. You can thentry to right click on teh task and change the process priority to above normal or something higher and click yes to the pop-up.
-- Xero Grid --

Xero Grid
12-24-2003, 12:19 AM
I meant to say it won't be windows update. The process won't be wupdmgr.exe (windows update). It should say something like xpsp1a and be an executeable.
The hanging of SP1 is normal because the update is HUGE. About 125 megabytes... and that's while it's compressed.
-- Xero Grid --

ninjamonkey
12-24-2003, 09:18 PM
well i finally got it. i wonder fi i even needed it <_<

Xero Grid
12-25-2003, 08:56 AM
Trust me... YOU DO&#33;
It updates EVERYTHING. Let&#39;s just say that without it, you shouldn&#39;t go online. Going to a website can kill your computer without it (of course it&#39;s much more complicated than that). Well, if you want to know the significance, I suggest you go to the microsoft site.
It&#39;s funny that you got Service Pack 1 so late. Service Pack 2 is going to be released soon.

balamm
12-25-2003, 10:30 AM
You really don&#39;t need service pack 1. It&#39;s a hyped up load of shit that you need all these patches and updates.

Unless you do online banking and trading, or you&#39;re a systems administrator responsible for a corporate network, or you absolutely need the latest updates for some other program or process, Just make a ghost image of your drive and if any one fucks with it, a quick restore and password change will fix that.

IF your system runs fine, nothing hangs, and you are happy with it, leave things alone&#33;

The risk is worth the extra performance you&#39;d lose to all these crap updates.

A good firewall and antivirus makes most of it redundant anyway.

The only things you might want would be high risk virus patches like the blaster patch.

Be wise and be carefull where you surf and you&#39;ll be fine.

ninjamonkey
12-26-2003, 09:20 PM
its SP1a btw. i duno if that different or not.
i got it so late caus ei normally depend on my instant updater which runs automatically. i gues sit never got SP1. it better dl SP2 when it comes out. Its strange that it didnt get SP1 becaus ei never turned it off and all the settings seem to be correct.

ninjamonkey
12-27-2003, 07:28 AM
and SP1a seems to have changed the way the saving files and opening files from the internet display box looks. is that right?

balamm
12-27-2003, 07:41 AM
Sp1a has been out for a year or more. ;)

I dunno about changing the download dialogue, but it messes up a bunch of other stuff like log on options and permissions.