PDA

View Full Version : Who Is An Isp's Isp's Isp ?

Evil Gemini
12-24-2003, 07:06 AM
I have always wondered about this.

who is my isp's isp and even then, who is their isp ??

Like, is their one big huge isp for other isp's ???

:blink: :blink:

muchspl2
12-24-2003, 07:18 AM
you can't be serious :huh:

Evil Gemini
12-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@24 December 2003 - 08:18
you can't be serious :huh:
Yeah man i am :huh:

I want to know ??

muchspl2
12-24-2003, 07:45 AM
http://www.howstuffworks.com/

servers

Evil Gemini
12-24-2003, 07:50 AM
M8, i know how a bloody server works. :rolleyes:

Im just a bit confused on who provides the internet for the ISP's you and i have.

sparsely
12-24-2003, 07:54 AM
it's really about who owns the lines & towers...

I used to have a good link about it...can't find it now.

Samurai
12-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Evil Gemini@24 December 2003 - 06:50
M8, i know how a bloody server works. :rolleyes:

Im just a bit confused on who provides the internet for the ISP's you and i have.
Ok, in the UK there is one major telephone company... BT (British Telecom) which cover roughly 70% of the UK mainland.

There are also another 2 cable companies, called NTL (My ISP) and Telewest which cover roughly 15% each.

Now, I don't care if someone posts a reply to this saying there's another company called 'bigpimpinabc' that has it's own lines etc... I'm willing to put money on the fact they're renting BT's lines.

This is basically how it works... cable companies make their money direct, hardly ever leasing their lines out. Non-cable companies such as BT not only sell it direct, but lease the lines out to other providers (or ISP's if you will) such as Freeserve, Tiscali, Virgin, plus.net & Demon. This is why you see in the Terms & Conditions, you'll see 'Must have a BT connection'.

Hope this helps.

Robert00000
12-25-2003, 04:30 AM
What the hell, all this ISP talk has inspired me to create my own damn wireless network. :lol:

I'm thinking of hooking all my friends up to my own wireless private network where we can exchange DVD's we've copied :D ,

Anyone know any suppliers of cheap transmitters in the UK?

By the way I'm the ISP's ISP. All the internet traffic in the world goes through my pocket calculator :teehee:

Merry Christmas :santa: :beerchug:

wenze1
12-25-2003, 04:34 AM
:wacko: :wacko: :rolleyes:

I.am
12-26-2003, 08:36 AM
Crap! :lol:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet...astructure1.htm (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure1.htm)

balamm
12-26-2003, 09:31 AM
You might think that's pretty far fetched but I had a "situation" recently, after installing DNS on my own win2k server, I found performance dragging a bit and it was getting harder to stay connected.

Turns out, I had taken over as the primary DNS server for my ISP in this area :o

Several hundred thousand connections a day were being made through me :lol:

I'm really amazed I never got a call on that one but I guess it might have lightened the load on their DNS?

I.am
12-26-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by balamm@26 December 2003 - 04:31
Turns out, I had taken over as the primary DNS server for my ISP in this area :o

Several hundred thousand connections a day were being made through me :lol:

how can that happen? how did you find out that their primary dns server was changed to yours? :unsure:

balamm
12-26-2003, 11:43 PM
It was a fluke chance that I ran ipconfig /all, netstat -a, and a few other utilities all at once. Normally I would only be checking the system security, event, and W3SVC logs for activity.
I was A bit shocked at what I saw. Thousands of same gateway or same netblock IPs connecting every hour! I Couldn't figure out why or what they would all be after at first.
I started checking processes and when I stopped DNS, The connections trickled off. When I restarted it, they slowly picked up again.

Our system is a bit strange though, everyone on this ISP is really on one huge lan. Any server that answers a dns query can become one of the DNS servers. If the primary or secondary become slow, or don't have the required info, others take over.
So the ISP and every client on the netblock see my DNS server as equal to/no different from the dns server in edmonton or vancouver. No certificates are required to run DNS services and I'm already authenticated for every other service on this ISP.

I think on the day I caught it, my DNS cache was somewhere over 500mb!

I have a feeling their are some ISP vulnerabilities associated with this setup but it's unexploited so far.

spike_055
12-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Can ISP's see what sites you visit and what you download?

Evil Gemini
12-29-2003, 11:03 AM
@ Robert00000, you prbably could but i think the fastest data tranfer for wireless atm is like 50mbs

@ spike_055, yeah i got told that they have logs of everything you do :ph34r:

balamm
12-29-2003, 11:13 AM
They can but they can't usually be bothered. It's when you piss someone off that you need to worry.