PDA

View Full Version : Protected Music

warby21
02-18-2003, 11:54 AM
i have realised that i can not burn songs through nero or win media because when i copied them from the orginal cd's i left the protect music tab on. Is there any way of rectifiying this?

cheers
rob

Rocktron
02-18-2003, 12:08 PM
What is the file extension of the files you copied? .CDA ???

Not the way to copy a song man!
I did the same thing just now, to test it... and it can't be played by Winamp... but only from the original cd.
So i think if you copy it like that it's not really making a copy of the whole thing!?

Try to rip the songs next time with AudioCatalyst!
And rip them with the best quality possible! (choices are .Wav and .Mp3) Wave is the best uncompressed option i think?

Maybe someone else in here has an solution?
I never tryed this before...

Good Luck!
http://images.allposters.com/images/20/WAG2479_a.jpg

imported_uncle_cracker
02-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by warby21@18 February 2003 - 12:54
i have realised that i can not burn songs through nero or win media because when i copied them from the orginal cd's i left the protect music tab on. Is there any way of rectifiying this?

cheers
rob
what do you mean?

do you want to copy a disc to another or do you want to copy the files to your harddrive first?

the second doesn't work
you will only copy the "link" to the track (1 KB) and the track will remain on the disc.
to get the completetrack you have to "rip" it ... for that you had to use software, for example windac or like mentioned above xing audiocatalyst.

for win98 there is another solution: you can use a modified cdfs.vxd !!! with that you can "see" the wave-files of the cd in two folders in explorer. these files can then be copied to your harddrive.

the modified cdfs.vxd you can find for example here (http://www.chip.de/praxis_wissen/unterseite_praxis_wissen_8714441.html).

you have to put it into "Windows | System | Iosubsys" (win98). make a backup of the original cdfs.vxd :rolleyes:

if you want to copy a disc to another disc to make a backup for your own you have to use clonecd if it's protected. ;)

cu

MagicNakor
02-19-2003, 01:32 AM
MP3 is usually preferrable, because WAV files are generally lower quality and much, much bigger.

warby21
02-19-2003, 02:03 AM
great help, thanks lads. It is wma file. I am a bit confused with all this at the moment, but it sounds like i do not need a new cd burner as a sales asst at the local pc shop said.

I thought that ripping is the same as copying from windows media 9 or nero. What ever files i download or copy onto my hard drive automatically is a wma file. R u saying i should always make it a mp3 file? and if so how would i change my system settings to do this.

once again tks, i will try using the audiocatalyst. All i want to do is burn a complimation cd for a freind. Looks like another belated b'day pressie eh!

cheers

Chilly
02-19-2003, 02:39 AM
I had this problem with WMP 9 it would'nt let me copy the songs from a disk because i left the protect music

tab on :( , so i reinstalled it and went back it to the tools, options, Copy Music, and changed the settings it

works fine now. ;)

If you only have WMP, once they have coppied the file type will say Windows Media Audio. :unsure:

If you have Winamp3 installed it will convert them for you to Mp3. :D

Hope this helps

v_Virus_v
02-19-2003, 02:43 AM
Unprotect wma (http://unprotectwma.tk/)

Might work :P

warby21
02-19-2003, 06:33 AM
brilliant, that unfuck program fixes the protection issue.

Im wondering if u want to burn cd's does it mean u need an mp3 player if all yr files are in this format?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but inorder for me to rip-em to mp3, i need a program thats compatible with xp and audiocatalyst is not. Does anybody have a program to mention. I know winamp is one, is that a good program?

thanks lads, uve been a great help

Siras
02-19-2003, 07:20 AM
well i use easy cd_da extracter to do my ripping of cds to my hard drive and i have no trouble compilling then on a cd
u can extract the mp3 files to cd formats.
The artist is poikosoft
i hope it works and u can find it
i found it on kazaa under ripper and its clean from viruses the version i had was Easy CD-Da extracter 4.5.0

Rocktron
02-19-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@19 February 2003 - 02:32
MP3 is usually preferrable, because WAV files are generally lower quality and much, much bigger.
Not true!

A wave file is a direct recording from the original!
A MP3 file is a compression without (they say) the frequencys you can't hear anyway! (I hear it!)
You can't only hear it but see it to!

A test..:

1 - Burn a 80min cd.. full! With cd quality MP3 files... let's say 128/kbps (most MP3 files on Kazaa are 128/kbps)
2 - Turn the burned cd around.. check how full your disc is.. it's 80 minutes but the disc seems to have more space for burning!

3 - Burn a 80min cd.. full!! With good quality .wav files standard 44,100 16 bit.
4 - Turn you burned cd around... it's full!

Why do you think? Not just because it's bigger, but because it containes more data... so.., more quality!

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Rocktron@19 February 2003 - 06:18
1 - Burn a 80min cd.. full! With cd quality MP3 files... let's say 128/kbps (most MP3 files on Kazaa are 128/kbps)

;) CD quality would be 192 bitrate or higher...not 128.Not spaming just hate it when somebody post that 128 is CD quality...why do you think most people on Kazaa have them at 128....cause they think that.Maybe a few years ago when harddrives were small but not now...rip them to 192 or higher...192 is almost perfect.I will except 160 or higher personally but 192 should be the standard nowadays not this 128 junk. :)

And yes wave files are the best.....but look at the size....them things are huge. :o

Supernatural
02-19-2003, 12:46 PM
I really cant tell the difference between 128k and 192k. The only difference i notice is size. 2 or 3 megs may not be much, but it adds up when you have hundreds even thousands of songs.

Jonne
02-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Supernatural, there IS a huge difference between 128 and 192. Try burning them to a disc and playing them on a decent stereo: the 128 bitrate will suck.

but you don't really notice a difference on pc speakers, that's true...

warby21
02-19-2003, 02:26 PM
i gotta thankyou all for making this such an interesting and helpful topic. I have just found out that when u remove files from kazza it deletes them from yr hard drive ( why do they allow that!!) So, now im trying my hardest to find aprogram to retreive them but its not looking good. Well pissed off, thats 500 + songs gone.

For furture ref, if u receive a mp3, recorded at 128, thats it there is no way of increasing it?

cheers

DataMore
02-19-2003, 03:11 PM
You can't increase the quality of 128k mp3 to 192k. You can convert them to 192k or higher if you want to, but the original quality has already been lost while converting to 128k. :(

To all of you who are discussing about mp3 rates:

128 Kbps mp3 can look the same as 192k if you know how to encode them.
Of course 192k will always be better than 128k but you won't be able to tell the difference (except if you're a dog or Super Man :D ).
Ripped from CD WAV files have CD quality, since they are the uncompressed format of audio files.

192k mp3 is the best bitrate to download since it's fool proof.
Anyone that doesn't understand very well how to rip/encode audio files and tries to do it using a 192k bitrate, will for sure get a near CD audio quality no matter what encoding options they use. ;)

Rocktron
02-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by DataMore@19 February 2003 - 16:11

128 Kbps mp3 can look the same as 192k if you know how to encode them.
Of course 192k will always be better than 128k but you won't be able to tell the difference (except if you're a dog or Super Man :D ).
Ripped from CD WAV files have CD quality, since they are the uncompressed format of audio files.

That's right!

As i said before.. somewhere on this forum, i rip all my files in 128/kbps because it's not to big for the Uploaders.
Sure 192 is better that's true! But not all users have a good connection!
But i rip my files with AudioCatalyst, and i get a lot of questions about the program i rip them with!

AudioCatalyst rips the files in Joint Stereo...
I download a lot of files that are 128 or 192 and they suck!

The program that you do it with.. that's what counts!

masta.z
05-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by DataMore@19 February 2003 - 11:19

192k mp3 is the best bitrate to download since it's fool proof.
Anyone that doesn't understand very well how to rip/encode audio files and tries to do it using a 192k bitrate, will for sure get a near CD audio quality no matter what encoding options they use. ;)
my big hairy arse cheeks :D

masterpiece21
05-19-2004, 05:51 PM
I dont notice the difference with 128k and 192k either.but for FC,the musicworld guru(seems it),i have been ripping all my cds at 192k ;) Tho i think it was Rocktron who said its the program that you rip it with that counts,well i use FreeRip 2.70,is that any good?works4me :D