PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Forum Software

balamm
12-26-2003, 12:23 AM
A screaming fast and highly configurable forum.
A pre-download form will prepare a custom, ready to go installation for you.
4 included themes.

http://www.xmbforum.com/CustomBuild/

http://members.shaw.ca/telfaq/xmb.jpg

Admin features:

Modify board settings
- Name, Email, Flood Control, Censors, Max Topics, Board News
Create or modify Moderators, Super Moderators, Administrations and Super Admin
Word Censors
Ban Members
IP Banning
Custom Themes
Templates Manager
Read private messages
Username Restrictions
Send newsletters
Add/Remove Users
Ban users from posting or sending Read private messages
Edit users profiles and posts
Move topics
Delete Topics
Top/Untop Topics
Private Forums
Password Protected Forums

=======================

General features:

Subscriptions
Printing/Send to a friend abilities
Forum statistics
View today's posts
Buddy List
BBCode/HTML/Flash Abilities
User Ranks
Flood Control
Who's Online
Sub Forums
Polls
Attachments ability
Moods
Private Messenger Inbox/Outbox
Moderators, Super Moderators, Administrations and Super Admin
Board News

http://www.xmbforum.com/download/#partagium

h1
12-29-2003, 02:54 AM
owned by vb

sparsely
12-29-2003, 02:57 AM
yeah.
vBulletin is my favorite of the forum software, but I prefer to use phpBB, cuz it's open source & free.

balamm
12-29-2003, 04:56 AM
Is it? :blink:

I installed vBulletin and I think it's quite crap. The admin has some features but they do what they want only when they want.
The tables are horrrible, no pre or post fix to identify them and no access to them from the admin. I managed to clean it all out with phpMyadmin by guesswork and luck.
I think I had to install it 4 times before I could log in. And that filled my email with a whole load of administrative alerts about sql failures and bad html.
It's installed now but I have no use for it. Just too many bugs and not enough working features.
I don't even like the look of it. Kinda late 90's cartoon/corporate/pshycodelia :lol:

I can't get the image code to work in a post, tried everything but it'll only work in sigs.

Play with it if you want, I'll be deleting it soon anyway.

http://s90860044.onlinehome.us/vb/

mikelite
12-29-2003, 04:57 AM
$45 bucks to remove tags ....

woah, I use phpBB - FREE. easy to setup...
and with a little tweaking could look *exactly*
like this one....

:mellow:

balamm
12-29-2003, 04:59 AM
I have several phbBB boards as well. Security is a problem and the admin is extremely limited.

It looks nice but it has it's problems.

sparsely
12-29-2003, 05:36 AM
have you seen the demo board for phpBB 2.2?
it's lookin really nice...
here it is @ area 51 (http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/)

balamm
12-29-2003, 05:59 AM
Not bad but I wish they'd move some of the controls over to the right. I still can't get used to the left handed back to top button

h1
12-29-2003, 09:04 PM
i completely agree with you, balamm. phpBB's very limited in my opinion.

vB works fine for me, it was a lot easier to set up than ikonBoard. and yes, the default vb skin sucks, but you can find some very good ones... check out rpgforums.net or 216.55.176.193/________.________

But if you need a free PHP/mySQL forum, invision power board is by far the best.

mahammued786
01-03-2004, 01:02 AM
xmb is NOT &#39;owned&#39; by vbulletin&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; <_<

NightStalker
01-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789@28 December 2003 - 21:54
owned by vb
Yeah, and vBulletin is owned by Invision Power Services. ;)

h1
01-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Really? I wholeheartedly agree that vBulletin 2.x sucked ass (especially the ACP) and that Invision Board was better, but this was up until the release of vBulletin 3.

Even the alpha was strong, stable, and fast, and it features some things that IPB doesn&#39;t. The product has since moved up through 7 betas, a month-long gamma, and 3 release candidates. The next version will likely be 3.0.0 gold and new customers will be able to download it. The ACP is broken up into sections now, you can exert total control over usergroups, there are now different permission levels for different administrators, etc. vBulletin is also very well coded, being able to handle boards will over 2 million posts well while at the same time effortly serving up threads with over 5000 replies. My only complaint is that the database size can get VERY large if you do not maintain or prune it.

Plus, a lifetime license only costs &#036;160.

NightStalker
01-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789@25 January 2004 - 16:11
Really? I wholeheartedly agree that vBulletin 2.x sucked ass (especially the ACP) and that Invision Board was better, but this was up until the release of vBulletin 3.

Even the alpha was strong, stable, and fast, and it features some things that IPB doesn&#39;t. The product has since moved up through 7 betas, a month-long gamma, and 3 release candidates. The next version will likely be 3.0.0 gold and new customers will be able to download it. The ACP is broken up into sections now, you can exert total control over usergroups, there are now different permission levels for different administrators, etc. vBulletin is also very well coded, being able to handle boards will over 2 million posts well while at the same time effortly serving up threads with over 5000 replies. My only complaint is that the database size can get VERY large if you do not maintain or prune it.

Plus, a lifetime license only costs &#036;160.
Your view are taken into consideration. If you run both IPB and vB why does the performance result in IPB being faster? Less queries, Load time, etc.
You can get a trail version of IPB and use it all your life
IPB is suffiently coded, thus it can mantain a very large board
And yes I have tried vBulletin 3 so don&#39;t go as far to call me a hypocrite.

h1
01-26-2004, 09:53 PM
If you run both IPB and vB why does the performance result in IPB being faster? Less queries, Load time, etc.
vBulletin actually has options to reduce queries as much as possible.
You can get a trail version of IPB and use it all your life
This is true, and IPS deserves props for that.
IPB is suffiently coded, thus it can maintain a very large board
In my experience, while IPB can handle large boards, it cannot do the same with threads. When loading even one page of very large threads, it loads the whole thread into RAM, stressing the server. The same goes for nested quotes.
And yes I have tried vBulletin 3 so don&#39;t go as far to call me a hypocrite.
I&#39;m not. :) And I ran IPB on my BBS for a long time until I decided that I had outgrown it. Each to their own. :)