PDA

View Full Version : New Hard Drive!

mts04988
12-27-2003, 07:41 AM
Hello, I have and 80 gig HD running as my master, (C:), I was running out of hard drive space with only about 230 megs left, so I ran out to Fry's today and got a sweet 180gb hitachi for about $60. Anyway, when I try to put it in my CMOS recognizes it, but under Windows XP on my Computer it only shows the C:. I don't know what could be causing this problem. Its a slave in CMOS and BIOS but in Win XP it doesn't even show up, it assigns my DVD-RW as D: and my CD Reader as E:.

I don't know if this helps or not, but before I installed it, (had this for a couple weeks but I just ignored the problem) I kept seeing a F: drive (Removable disk)...I don't know where that is comin from, I don't even have the Removable Drive plugged in. I was wondering if anyone could help me on why Windows XP Home doesn't recognize the HD and if this F: problem is unrelated or has something to do with it.
Also...whenever I start WinXP it says "Booting from CD" on the black screen...but I don't even have CDs in the drives...I think it might be because i have CD has 1st on the Boot-Order (when I was installing my Comp) but I could easily remedy that...I still don't see why it says "Booting from CD"

So thats my problem: 180 gig hard drive not recognizing on winXP
& 2 (unrelated?) probs that might be effecting:
"imaginary F: disk"?? &
Booting from CD...(No CD)

Thanks for any help you can provide I appreciate it :helpsmile:

3rd gen noob
12-27-2003, 07:44 AM
the first time you started windows after connecting the drive, did you get a prompt saying that windows had found new hardware?

mts04988
12-27-2003, 07:51 AM
At the bottom right it said it was detected and said the name of the hard disk which was some funny letters, but the same one as the CMOS...
Could it be interference? I also installed a new DVD-RW I purchased today, and it is working well. I plugged in both at the same time...so could it maybe not handle doing both? I saw it "found new hardware...new hard disk...[name of disk]"...Then I restarted, and got a message saying "One of the Hardware you installed's software requires rebooting, press YES to reboot." I did, and same prob...any ideas? Thanks for ur quick reply

3rd gen noob
12-27-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by mts04988@27 December 2003 - 06:51
I did, and same prob...any ideas?
have you correctly configured the jumpers on the new drives? (i.e. master and slave)

balamm
12-27-2003, 07:54 AM
Did you run the setup disk on it? If not then it'll need to be fdisk'd and formatted before windows can use it. It knows that and won't assign a drive letter to an un formatted, unassigned drive.

clocker
12-27-2003, 07:57 AM
I just found this...may help. (http://www.md4pc.com/questions/58.htm)

mts04988
12-27-2003, 08:00 AM
Did you run the setup disk on it? If not then it'll need to be fdisk'd and formatted before windows can use it. It knows that and won't assign a drive letter to an un formatted, unassigned drive.

I did not receive a setup disk in the box with the hard drive. I understand I'd have to format and FDISK it in the BIOS, so how would I go about doing that? Put the windows XP cd in and in the black screen type: FDISK ... there is no drive letter so what would i put? Same for "format" command. I do not want to "format c:\" it has everything on it.

Thanks if you can give me info on FDISKing and formatting it, but I thought I didnt have to do this. I installed another HD on another comp w/o Formatting/FDISKing first?? (maybe?) Thanks for any help.

balamm
12-27-2003, 08:05 AM
Take a look in the logical disk manager and see if it's listed. If it is, you may be able to do the setup there.
If not, Grab a win9x setup disk from bootdisk.com and run it at boot.
With a drive that big, you probably want at least 5 partitions anyway so you might need partition magic or volume manager to get it right. Just do the whole disk as one with fdisk and then do the partitioning with PM or, if XP will recognize it, try the logical disk manager.
I don't think fdisk will partition a drive that large. It may, I've never tried.

The logical disk manager is in administrative tools/ computer management/ with the degfragmenter.

Virtualbody1234
12-27-2003, 03:06 PM
Don't use fdisk with Windows XP.

You need to partition and format your drive.

Use Disk Management. Start>Control Panel>Switch to Classic View>Adminisrative tools>Computer Management>Disk Management.

james_bond_rulez
12-27-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@27 December 2003 - 06:06
Don't use fdisk with Windows XP.

You need to partition and format your drive.

Use Disk Management. Start>Control Panel>Switch to Classic View>Adminisrative tools>Computer Management>Disk Management.
yeah i've had painful exp with fdisk lol

ppl actually say "your fdisk'ed", instead of "fucked"

yeah use partition magic should do the trick ;)

Robert00000
12-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Yep, i think the prob is that the new drive needs to be partitioned as a logical drive and then formated.

If this doesnt work, then check to see if your jumper settings are set to MASTER and SLAVE, and not CABLE SELECT and SLAVE, because this can cause probs.