PDA

View Full Version : 56kbps, Share Or Not

Monkey
02-19-2003, 02:01 AM
56kers share or not...

all 56kers is make me have slow downloading from too many ppl, like now i am downloading Sim City 4 Devanice, from 34 ppl 33 ppl i am downloading at .01, i person i am downloading at 10kbps which is fuckin slow as hell.

Need more good sources i say!!! So 56kbps share or not??

UmmYeahOk
02-19-2003, 02:19 AM
I happen to have a 56k connection, and am also debating on whether or not I should share. I have Sim City 4, but choose to only share certain tv video files. Files only I share. I know this because I am the creator, and have for months now have had zillions of people download them off me. None of these people share, and often have those greedy people who download my entire library message me telling me to get a faster connection. If just one one of the zillions of people shared, then people could download off them with a faster connection, and even continue downloading when I'm offline.

You ask for better faster sources, well there is the only answer. I have never downloaded at 10kbpb, and I say that damn good considering that I'm greatful for 2kbps.

Monkey
02-19-2003, 02:23 AM
lol buy DSL. 30 dollars for 768kbps from SBC Yahoo.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-19-2003, 02:24 AM
Depends on the user. I say not as it will eat up their bandwidth. If they're not surfing the web or not Dl'ing, then share but only have 1 upload slot. @Monkey: Those users can have a higher connection but someone else in downloading from the same user(s) you are can be hogging most of the bandwitdh.

RPerry
02-19-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Monkey@18 February 2003 - 21:23
I would gladly pay for DSL if it were offered, unfortunately it isn't in my area. I still share anyway, mosly like right now, my computer is on at home, while I'm here at work.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-19-2003, 03:11 AM
Have you tried connecting via satellite? Don't know how reliable it is. i.e. Direct TV

sleepnmojo
02-19-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Shinigami@19 February 2003 - 04:11
Have you tried connecting via satellite? Don't know how reliable it is. i.e. Direct TV
I tried direcPC, It was terrible. I had better reliability with my modem. I still had to upload with my modem, otherwise i had to pay a hellalot more. I think they went out of business last time i heard.

As for 56kers, I say share. Thats why we have multipart downloading. You only help it. Ive gotten files from people that were only 56kers. got about 1k from each of em, that downloaded a file at 20k. I went out for the day, and it was finished. Its better than having nothing.

For the guys who complain about you havin a 56k modem, tell em to thank there daddy for payin for all this. I remember dlin off my 14.4 modem. Back then it took me forever to get even 100megs. I had a 1.2 gig hd, and i wasn't complainin.

Damn kids. :D

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-19-2003, 03:22 AM
LOL, (Us) Kids nowadays :P If your on 56K and ready to DL a big file, prepare for a full day's work ahead of you because there's really nothing else to day except wait but why wait when you can get off that lazy, obese arse and run or something :P

Chilly
02-19-2003, 03:47 AM
BIG RESPECT to you 56kers ;)

I download a film once on dial up and it took me a week 24/7, my electric bill was massive, would of been

cheaper to wait for it on DVD or Cinema. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-19-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Chilly@18 February 2003 - 19:47
BIG RESPECT to you 56kers ;)

I download a film once on dial up and it took me a week 24/7, my electric bill was massive, would of been

cheaper to wait for it on DVD or Cinema. :lol: :lol: :lol:
VEERY VERY TRUE!! Especially to the ones that share... I give y'all props :rolleyes:

RPerry
02-19-2003, 03:52 AM
The biggest part of this is that I feel if I have time to download from others, then I have time to upload as well. 56K or not, not sharing is leeching.

abraham1812
02-19-2003, 04:29 AM
Im on a 56-k dialup and I always share my files, mainly because its always a multi-source downloads and their only getting a couple of megabytes off of me. The biggest files im currently downloading is 280 megabytes, and thats about 5-15 megabytes per day.

Chilly
02-19-2003, 04:33 AM
Rp do you find that people upload off you quicker than you download from them.

When i was dial up sharing slowed my downloads :(

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-19-2003, 04:38 AM
yea on 56k, there is no seperate DL/UL

Gambo
02-19-2003, 05:34 AM
56k and happilly sharing all my stuff. Largest file is aprox 700Mb, and it is popular, though most abort as they can't stand the wait. We 56k'ers are a truly patient lot. Try chatting and d/loading with an upload going as well. It takes ages for the text to refresh, and if it's busy you have to scoll back up the page. It makes it really interesting I can tell you :lol:

RPerry
02-19-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Chilly@18 February 2003 - 23:33
Rp do you find that people upload off you quicker than you download from them.

When i was dial up sharing slowed my downloads :(
Actually, It seems my downloads are faster than my uploads. Yes, it does slow my downloads when someone is uploading, it has too, there just isn't enough bandwith to play with.

Switeck
02-19-2003, 10:29 AM
If you're going to share on a 56k, make sure you're getting >40kilobits/sec login speed or it's FAR more trouble than it's worth. This way you have more speed for everything.

Uploading doesn't directly decrease download speed -- it's just that each piece of the download has to be requested using upload bandwidth... so if your uploads are maxing out your connection, your connection CAN'T reply back to ask for more of a download! This is even horribly true on much faster connections.

For those who dare share on a 56k, this should help your speeds all-around immensely:
1.Share to only 1 person at a time -- more just slows things down (1 might go at 2.5KB/sec but 2 would only go at 1KB/sec each.)
2.Turn off optimal bandwidth while idle if it's enabled -- it's broken, don't use it. B)
3.Set upload bandwidth to 24 kilobits/sec (under advanced settings near the top) -- so v.90 56k modems with a MAX upload speed of 33.6kilobits/sec (4.2KB/sec) -- although probably only getting around 30kilobits/sec actual speed due to poor lines -- will still have some upload bandwidth left.
4.Don't bother trying to download 5 or more things at once -- just like uploads each additional item will slow the connection down more than you gain from its speed.

If you have a v.92 56k modem, you could probably share ok even at 32 kilobits/sec (4KB/sec) speed -- they have up to 48kilobits/sec upload speed!

Lastly, GET TCP/IP Optimizer (at www.speedguide.net ) -- have it optimize your connection and use it to tweak MTU up to max for your ISP -- windows default is only MTU=576, which is the largest number of bytes that can be sent in a single internet data packet. Your ISP may even allow the LAN MTU max of 1,500! Being able to send packets that are 1,500 bytes in size at a time means that EACH packet's overhead (of about 40 bytes) is less of the overall datastream. (40 bytes is 7% of 576 bytes -- but it's only 2.7% of 1,500 bytes.)

Gambo
02-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Switeck@19 February 2003 - 11:29
If you're going to share on a 56k, make sure you're getting >40kilobits/sec login speed or it's FAR more trouble than it's worth. This way you have more speed for everything.

Uploading doesn't directly decrease download speed -- it's just that each piece of the download has to be requested using upload bandwidth... so if your uploads are maxing out your connection, your connection CAN'T reply back to ask for more of a download! This is even horribly true on much faster connections.

For those who dare share on a 56k, this should help your speeds all-around immensely:
1.Share to only 1 person at a time -- more just slows things down (1 might go at 2.5KB/sec but 2 would only go at 1KB/sec each.)
2.Turn off optimal bandwidth while idle if it's enabled -- it's broken, don't use it. B)
3.Set upload bandwidth to 24 kilobits/sec (under advanced settings near the top) -- so v.90 56k modems with a MAX upload speed of 33.6kilobits/sec (4.2KB/sec) -- although probably only getting around 30kilobits/sec actual speed due to poor lines -- will still have some upload bandwidth left.
4.Don't bother trying to download 5 or more things at once -- just like uploads each additional item will slow the connection down more than you gain from its speed.

If you have a v.92 56k modem, you could probably share ok even at 32 kilobits/sec (4KB/sec) speed -- they have up to 48kilobits/sec upload speed!

Lastly, GET TCP/IP Optimizer (at www.speedguide.net ) -- have it optimize your connection and use it to tweak MTU up to max for your ISP -- windows default is only MTU=576, which is the largest number of bytes that can be sent in a single internet data packet. Your ISP may even allow the LAN MTU max of 1,500! Being able to send packets that are 1,500 bytes in size at a time means that EACH packet's overhead (of about 40 bytes) is less of the overall datastream. (40 bytes is 7% of 576 bytes -- but it's only 2.7% of 1,500 bytes.)
Thanks for this info Switeck. Maybe you should post this in the Tips section too. I know alot of users who don't touch their settings so if this helps them and others, nice one :D

brotherdoobie
02-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by RPerry+18 February 2003 - 21:53--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RPerry @ 18 February 2003 - 21:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Monkey@18 February 2003 - 21:23
I would gladly pay for DSL if it were offered, unfortunately it isn&#39;t in my area. I still share anyway, mosly like right now, my computer is on at home, while I&#39;m here at work. [/b][/quote]
Good for you RPerry&#33;
There are means of sharing with a 56k connection.
Like leaving it on when your not using it.(as long as you dont get limited hours on your dial-up by your ISP.)
Sharing one or two uploads,when your not surfing like Shinigami suggested.

If you can Share&#33;

Peace brotherdoobie :)

Selma Jezkova
02-19-2003, 11:23 PM
I always share with my 56k. I think it&#39;s damn rude for me not to, but that&#39;s just my opinion...

I&#39;ve had very few people actually complete a download through me though...