PDA

View Full Version : Xp Won't Load After Installation

Prodigy Girl
12-29-2003, 12:30 AM
Okay, I was attempting to do a clean install XP Pro today. I memorized and followed the steps from a few websites including theeldergeek.com and blackviper.com. I was able to do everything in DOS with no problems. I've done everything that was mentioned up to that point (getting newer drivers, formatting to NTFS, etc). But when it was time for my PC to reboot, XP wouldn't even load! It got past the Compaq display screen only to show a black screen with a blinking cursor. :(

The elder geek suggests that I strip my system of everything except the essentials, but I want to do this as a last resort. I'm sorry for bringing up yet another XP question to your forum. I've been on the spare PC looking for answers online but so far no luck. Please help!

I have a Compaq Presario 7000, 1.4 GHz Athlon Processor, with 512 ram, and a 60 Gig Disk.

AndrewBarker
12-29-2003, 12:43 AM
well don't you just tell you bios to boot from cd, then put in your recovery cd's or Windows cd in and reboot and away it goes, or is compaq different

peat moss
12-29-2003, 12:46 AM
Did you try booting from the xp cd rom? And try installing again. You might have to go in to your bios and set boot from cd .
Sorry Andrew great minds think alike i cant type that fast so i posted after you lol

Prodigy Girl
12-29-2003, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, I did boot from the XP CD. The BIOS was set to boot from the CD. I don't think Compaq is any different from any other PC-- at least, it shouldn't be. :unsure:

Any other suggestions? Tips?

AndrewBarker
12-29-2003, 02:08 AM
this dos stuff you are talking about is confusing me

with xp you install without going into dos

when the cd has finished installing, windows should boot up.

peat moss
12-29-2003, 02:12 AM
I still swear by my old standby win98 setup disk. But it can be so many things harddrive going? it almost sounds like you dont have a os installed. Just a thought thou . I would try again from scratch.

creamer
12-29-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by AndrewBarker@29 December 2003 - 02:08
this dos stuff you are talking about is confusing me

with xp you install without going into dos

when the cd has finished installing, windows should boot up.
fuck dos with xp, if there is such a thing. just put ur xp disk in the pc and restart ur p.c, u should get the option to boot from the c drive.

do this and delete all partitions and then create one and install the shit.

if u dont want to lose all ur stuff just save it to a temp folder , but i dont suggest that. just folk out 4 some cds and save the lot then wipe ur pc CLEAN and start again and put ur shit back on ur comp from the cds, scanning them with an antivirus.

if u r still getting a problem ur computer is fucked (hardware) :angry:

ps. well thats what i do anyway :D

peat moss
12-29-2003, 02:24 AM
After a bit more thought most of my problems installing xp comes from installing two partions bloody thing can be confusing. format again ?

cwctv
12-29-2003, 02:31 AM
But when it was time for my PC to reboot, XP wouldn't even load! It got past the Compaq display screen only to show a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Thats the question and here is the answer :-

if u dont want to lose all ur stuff just save it to a temp folder , but i dont suggest that. just folk out 4 some cds and save the lot then wipe ur pc CLEAN and start again and put ur shit back on ur comp from the cds, scanning them with an antivirus.

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

boyzeee
12-29-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by peat moss@29 December 2003 - 02:24
After a bit more thought most of my problems installing xp comes from installing two partions bloody thing can be confusing. format again ?
i would agree with taking out non essential hardware ie modems (known for giving initial boot problems after setup ;) ) tv cards, sound cards etc etc, boot from cd, delete any partitions you have on there ( if you need to save anything put the hard drive into the pc your using now as a slave and save any files to this hard drive :D ) create new partition and do a full ntfs format ( not quick) then setup, you can put all the stuff you take out back in bit by bit after you get it to boot for the first time ;) afterwards use partition magic to partition your drive if thats what you want, i would also go msoft site and download the blaster worm patch, it was a while ago it was going round but its still out there doing its thing to unprotected pcs ;)

Prodigy Girl
12-29-2003, 04:23 AM
Sorry for the confusion-- I'm assumed it was DOS because it looked like DOS. I got the same screenshots that were on the sites that I mentioned before. And there's no worries about losing information on the drives as I've already saved everything of importance before I started. ;)

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to start yet another clean installation, for the third time... But this time, I'll do it with only the bare minimum in hardware.

Thanks guys. Wish me luck. B)

Evil Gemini
12-29-2003, 04:28 AM
In the bios, after making the cd rom firts boot device dont forget to make your hdd the second boot device.

That could be the problem too.

Prodigy Girl
12-29-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Evil Gemini@29 December 2003 - 04:28
In the bios, after making the cd rom firts boot device dont forget to make your hdd the second boot device.

That could be the problem too.

Um, okay, I'll try. :unsure:

EDIT: I just checked-- the BIOS check is set up the way that you mentioned. Thanks, Gemini. :)