PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown Xp

lowik
02-19-2003, 01:00 PM
Shutdown XP Faster
When a user shuts down Windows XP, first the system has to kill all services
currently running. Every once in a while the service does not shut down
instantly and windows gives it a change to shut down on its own before it kills it.
This amount of time that windows waits is stored in the system registry.
If you modify this setting, then windows will kill the service earlier. To modify
the setting, follow the directions below:

Start Regedit.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control.
Click on the "Control" Folder.
Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"
Right click on it and select Modify.
Set it a value lower than 2000 (Mine is set to 200).

Curley
02-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know if this really works? Last time I messed with the registry, I ended up buying a new computer :(

lowik
02-19-2003, 07:06 PM
it works ,but you can backup your registry
firs run regedit then go to file then export and save it in secure place eg. desktop

Wolfmight
03-01-2003, 01:49 AM
aha, buying a new computer. there is allways a way to fix software problems.. You shoulda got new HD at the max.. I mean, how could messin up reg settings mess up comp? wha...if you added something that messed with the BIOS, then you could fry you computer but I thought the reg was only for Windows OS and the appz on it.

kAb
03-01-2003, 05:34 AM
my XP shuts down fairly fast on its own. and it loads extremely fast to. maybe its cause of my new comp. :P

edit: how much faster are u talking about here?

Krisman
03-01-2003, 06:10 AM
How much faster depends on how many services are running and how long each usually takes to shutdown. Theres no set amount it will speedup.

Sir_Loki
03-01-2003, 01:08 PM
I f*ck up my registry all the time, I reinstall windows like every month. I don't think it's possible to damage any hardware by changing windows registry settings.
But that's just me B)

Oh and just close all the apps before you shutdown, you'll have no problems with it then.

spudlover
03-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Mine takes an age to shutdown! It's cos theres a lot of things it needs to kill, iis, jrun, cfmx, asp.net etc etc.

I'll try that and see what happens..

PcH
03-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Buying a new computer because of tweaking the registry? Now that's really excessive. All this tweak does is: tells the computer how long to wait to kill a hung application. You could set it to 100 [1 second] for faster results.

Crack_man
03-01-2003, 10:43 PM
The normally value for this tweak is 20000 right?? :huh:

connected
03-03-2003, 11:44 AM
You can do a lot of good things if you mess around with the registry. if you screw up it's only a format and reinstall.

vegeta
03-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Curley@19 February 2003 - 20:01
Does anyone know if this really works? Last time I messed with the registry, I ended up buying a new computer :(
messing with registry ends up to re-install windows not to buy a new p.c. :P :D :lol:

cooolway
03-03-2003, 09:15 PM
messing up registry doesn't screw up the computer that bad.
No matter what you do to the computer (expect physically) won't
ruin the computer that bad.
Just re-install Windows

Curley
03-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@1 March 2003 - 01:49
aha, buying a new computer. there is allways a way to fix software problems.. You shoulda got new HD at the max.. I mean, how could messin up reg settings mess up comp? wha...if you added something that messed with the BIOS, then you could fry you computer but I thought the reg was only for Windows OS and the appz on it.
Hey, i'm female. What more can I say? :P

God knows what I did but I kept getting blue screen errors, then one day when I tried to switch on it wouldn't work. Kept saying insert system disc, which I did..... still wouldn't work.... so I got got fed up and just bought a new comp.

(P.S I even took it to PC world but they didn't have a clue what they were doing, avoid going there at all costs) :(

100%
03-03-2003, 09:57 PM
YES of course it works

and so do these

BOOTVIS
(defragments your sartup issues - speeds upto 30scs)
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/pe...oot/default.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.asp)

The following tweaks are copied from
http://www.windowsxpatoz.com/cgi-bin/useri...1&id=1036228650 (http://www.windowsxpatoz.com/cgi-bin/userinterface/index.cgi?answer=1036232431&id=1036228650)

40. Speedup boot up sequence by defragmenting all key boot files
Open Registry by going to START-RUN and typing REGEDIT. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction. In right hand panel look for Enable. Right click on it and set it 'Y' for enable. This is the way I have it set on my computer. This will help speedup boot time.

130. Speedup boot time by improving NTFS check
CHKNTFS is the command used to set the AUTOCHK initiation count down time. You can reduce it from default 9 seconds to a much lower value say 4 seconds. Go to command prompt and type CHKNTFS/T:4 This command would set the AUTOCHK initiation count time down to 4.

39. How to improve on shutdown time ? Close apps automatically & quickly at shutdown
Open Registry by going to START-RUN and typing REGEDIT. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP and look for AutoEndTasks. On my computer default value is 0. Change it to 1. Thats all. Further more you can reduce the time it takes for Windows to issue kill directive to all active/hung applications. In doing this only constraint that you should make sure exists is that HungAppTimeout is greater than WaitToKillAppTimeout. Change the values of WaitToKillAppTimeout to say 3500 (since default value for HungAppTimeout 5000 and for WaitToKillAppTimeout is 20000)

92. Optimize your XP Pro system by tweaking service manager ? Remove unnecessary services !
This is important. You don't know how many services are started by your service manager everytime you boot your system. There is a very strong likelihood that some of these services are never of any use to you and as such you never directly or indirectly use them. If so, why delay the boot time and also degrade the system performance for no reason ! Stop this services from starting automatically. Here is How-to ! Open service manager by going to START-RUN and entering services.msc. Now in the right pane, you would see a list of services some of them would be started and others don't. Also they could be set to any of three status of start mode. "Manual", "automatic" and "disabled". If you double Click on any of these you would see detailed info on each of these. You have an option of starting or stopping the services running on your computer. If you are typical desktop user like most of us, it might be safe to disable and stop following services. But still do understand it before you do it. Also some of those listed below may not be available for you as well.
1. Portable Media Serial Number
2. DHCP Client
3. Distributed Link Tracking Client (Most likely you're not connected to a Windows 2000 domain )
4. DNS Client ( Again you're not connecting to a specific DNS server on your local network most of times)
5. FTP Publishing Service ( If you don't want your system to act as an FTP server. I don't !)
6. IIS Admin Service ( You computer may not be a WWW server and as such no need for this service )
7. IPSEC Policy Agent ( disable it if you're not connected to a Windows 2000 domain )
8. Messenger ( same reason...you may not be connected to a Windows 2000 domain )
9. Remote Registry Service (Typically you don't remotely access the Registry of other systems )
10. RIP Service (If you are a typical home user, you don't need your system to act as a router)
11. Run As Service ( This can also go since most likely you don't use any applications that run as an alias )
12. World Wide Web Publishing Service ( If you are a not into web publishing business,You don't need this as well)

sunrat
03-08-2003, 08:04 AM
Yep, turning off unused services cerainly helps performance.The definative guide is:
Black Viper's services guide (http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm)
Lots of excellent tweaks and gudes, especially Windows installation help.

Schmiggy_JK23
03-08-2003, 09:54 AM
WOW!

Great site man, thanks.

I knew windows xp had a lot of extra shit going on, that I didnt need. But didnt know exactly what all those "system" processes were in the task manager. Now I do, and got rid of most that i didnt need.

thanks