PDA

View Full Version : Can We Have A "verified" Section For All The Stuff

creamypanda
02-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Can we have a "Verified" section for all the stuff that's NOT copy-righted?

Just a thought.... :)

OneDeadlybum
02-19-2003, 08:13 PM
There isn't many things of interest for non-copyrighted material that'd be worth making a board for, and the providers for the board would probably still be paranoid of illegal files.

Theres programs and other websites that provide verifieds, use them until the issues are dealt with here :D

tilen76
02-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Use this:

Google (http://www.google.com)

J'Pol
02-19-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by tilen76@19 February 2003 - 21:16
Use this:

Google (http://www.google.com)
Exactly

If it's freeware you can get it quickly as a direct download.

Cheers

JimF

PS Copy-righted is not a word, even if you put a hyphen in it. What's this thing about just adding ed at the end of words. It really isn't the simpled.

PPS Non-copyrighted is even worse, you've just moved the hyphen. Have we now decided to just make the random language. To save you the bother I meant it.

Ron
02-20-2003, 01:58 AM
Have we now gone to check the spelling of other members?
Has it ever occured to you that not everybody is a native English speaking person?
Try writing Dutch, French or German here then, and see how I flame you. :angry:

J'Pol
02-20-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Ron@20 February 2003 - 02:58
Have we now gone to check the spelling of other members?
Has it ever occured to you that not everybody is a native English speaking person?
Try writing Dutch, French or German here then, and see how I flame you. :angry:
I have no interest in writing in any of these languages.

This is the internet. The language is English. If they don't like it then tough.

Is there such a language as Dutch. I don't think so.

Cheers

JimF.

PS I wasn't questioning the spelling. The word simply doesn't exist. But then again you think Dutch is a language.

Ron
02-20-2003, 02:13 AM
Well, if Dutch isn't a language, why is it that you write double Dutch so often?

J'Pol
02-20-2003, 02:14 AM
Do you want to fight in the playground.

No handers.

Grow up.

Cheers

JimF

Ron
02-20-2003, 02:18 AM
I'm not the one picking on the spelling of others.
I'm not the one who doesn't realize that Dutch is a language after all.
Then again, maybe realize doesn't exist. Maybe it ought to be realiSe in your dictionary.
Depends where you live.
Even English isn&#39;t universal. <_<

Edit: typo

Nobody1234
02-20-2003, 03:44 AM
@JimF

Why don&#39;t you stop criticizing everyone?

And learn this: http://www.learndutch.org/

FireATM
02-20-2003, 03:49 AM
:lol: my god you guys are funny&#33; :lol:

Jibbler
02-20-2003, 04:39 AM
I have to agree with JimF. The language is english, and I hate seeing people butcher it online. I understand that there are people on this board, whose first language is not english.

However, it is the english speaking americans, who feel that proper punctuation and capitalization is a thing of the past. Is it really so hard to type complete sentences?--

Jibbler

Chilly
02-20-2003, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by creamypanda@19 February 2003 - 19:59
Can we have a "Verified" section for all the stuff that&#39;s NOT copy-righted?

:lol: I dont think there is really anything thats not Copy-righted :lol:

If your after games films or software you could always go Here (http://www.verifieddownloads.com/)

Ron
02-20-2003, 05:02 AM
I believe (though not 100% sure) that a recent survey discovered that the majority of pages on the internet is CHINESE, not English.
If it isn&#39;t today, it will be in a year or so.
So JimF better learn to write proper Chinese, I think.
The internet is international guys.
Face it.
Deal with it.
Get over it.
Give those who didn&#39;t have the "benefit" of an education that teaches correct English punctuation and capitaliSation a break.

PS. The "S" is there on purpose. I feel the rebel in me arising. <_<

Edited a possibly grave error.
I&#39;m truly sorry if you got to read it before I had the chance to correct myself.
I will try to prevent this from happening in the future.
Please accept my outmost and unsincere apologies.

Longdong
02-20-2003, 10:54 AM
i think we all need 2 calm down although most of the time i cant b arsed to write full sentances. whats the point if it gets your point across in a fraction of the time???

dualBleed
02-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by creamypanda@19 February 2003 - 20:59
Can we have a "Verified" section for all the stuff that&#39;s NOT copy-righted?

Interesting idea. I have been looking for old version files, a more complete one than www.oldversion.com (their site are often unreachable)

ksmurf
02-26-2003, 12:30 AM
Don&#39;t you just love intelligent bottoms (smartasses for you playing the home game) . Keep the banter (bickering, convesation, discussion, debate, etc.) going. Makes for som entertaining reading. :ph34r:

share4uk
02-26-2003, 10:57 AM
If its proper English you were looking for, why didn&#39;t you say&#33;:

British (correct) English-------------------------American English

aluminium-------------------------aluminum
archaeology----------------------archeology
catalogue--------------------------catalog
cheque------------------------------check
colour--------------------------------color
kerb----------------------------------curb
dialogue----------------------------dialog
encyclopaedia-------------------encyclopedia
favourite---------------------------favorite
honour------------------------------honor
jewellery---------------------------jewelry
manoeuvre-----------------------maneuver
moustache------------------------mustache
tyre------------------------------------tire

aerial-------------------------antenna
flat-------------------------apartment
lawyer----------------------attorney
car-------------------------automobile
rucksack--------------------backpack
fringe-------------------------bangs :lol:
pub-----------------------------bar
autumn------------------------fall
banknote----------------------bill
bath----------------------------tub
biscuit------------------------cookie
bread roll---------------------bun
canteen--------------------cafetaria
chips--------------------------fries
crisps-------------------------chips
current account-----checking account
lift----------------------------elevator
minced (meat)-------------ground (meat)
nappy------------------------diaper
quilt------------------------comforter
rubbish---------------------garbage
scone------------------------biscuit
tap---------------------------faucet
toilet-----------------------bathroom
torch-----------------------flashlight

:rolleyes: This is just a joke...

My point? As long as you can understand it, who cares how its spelt or said, this board is made up of a range of different countries, theres no need to correct everyone.

J'Pol
02-26-2003, 11:21 AM
The point is that people understand what they read. If the way you express your ideas is not accurate then there is a reasonable chance that you will be misunderstood. As things become sloppier then the chance of misunderstanding increases.

Correcting spelling however is just a larf. Almost everyone gets annoyed by it. I think it is a subconscious reaction to it being done when they were at school. Or shld tht be skool.

Seriously though a lot of problems are caused by poor communication. The phrase "you know what I meant " is almost always incorrect. Actually I know what you said / wrote, that&#39;s not always what you meant.

I love Ron&#39;s post about the Chinese thing. What a ridiculous thing to say. The internet is turning Chinese and I should learn the language. I&#39;ll probably stick to the one or two sites that continue in English, or a version of it, if that&#39;s ok with you.

Is that Jon&#39;s trick. He&#39;s changing the site to pictograms, so that they don&#39;t know when we are posting verifieds. I think Ron&#39;s sussed it.

Cheers

JimF

PS Ron, if that&#39;s your post after you corrected it I would love to see the original.

Ynhockey
02-26-2003, 04:24 PM
Wow, what a ridiculous argument... I always thought that the internet was international and now some guy comes in and says it&#39;s English-only... :rolleyes: maybe I too should be at school now and should be learning that English is the only language in the world and there&#39;s no such thing as Dutch... :rolleyes:

J'Pol
02-26-2003, 04:50 PM
The international language, of the developed world is English. It is spoken In the UK, in the USA and throughout Europe. It is also spoken in Australia, New Zealand and large parts of Africa. It has been accepted as the international language in the same way that the Dollar has been accepted as the international currency.

This is why children throughout the world are taught English as a second language. So that they can deal on a worldwide basis.

I tend to avoid the plethora of Chinese sites as I don&#39;t understand the language I also supect that culturally they would be of minimal interest to me. Like I said as Chinese takes over the Internet I will stick to the reducing number of sites which use English. However as commerce drives everything, including the Internet I think I willl be ok for the near future.

If this forum migrates to Chinese I will be sad, but will try to get over it. Obviously as I am reasonably conversant in Mandarin then that would cause less of a problem.

Obviously Dutch is a language, I apologise to all of the Dutch speakers who I may have offended. It was simply hyperbole. To my American friends, that is not a college football game.

mrcall1969
02-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by JimF@26 February 2003 - 17:50
However as commerce drives everything, including the Internet I think I willl be ok for the near future.

JimF

You have missed a coma after the word "internet" and have put 3 L&#39;s in the word "will"

See how petty and annoying it is when someone acts like a spell/grammar checker?

jetje
02-26-2003, 05:00 PM
http://home.wanadoo.nl/chlooij_adsl/Images/Chinmen2.jpg

ja en dit is dus nederlands,

Maar ja JimF... :blink:

jetje
02-26-2003, 05:03 PM
trouwens bovenstaande was een menu kaart van de chinees

Bijzonder handig om bij de hand te hebben als je naar China gaat...

RIJST EN MIE (Apart bijbestellen&#33;)
35 Witte rijst
36 Nasi
37 Bami

SOEP (Geen voorgerecht&#33;)
32 Maïs en ei soep (is zoet)
33 "Pittig-azijn" soep
34 Pittige soep met doufu ("tahoe")

VARKENSVLEES GERECHTEN
9 Gefrituurd varkensvlees filet stukjes met gebakken zout/peper poeder
12 Varkensvlees filet stukjes met "suanmiao" (is pittig)
14 Varkensvlees filet stukjes met komkommer en rode pepers (is pittig)
13 Varkensvlees filet stukjes met pinda&#39;s (is pittig)
4 Varkensvlees met ei, komkommer en zwammen
11 Varkensvlees sliertjes met "suanmiao" (groente met een bieslook/knoflook smaak)
3 Varkensvlees sliertjes met "vissmaak" saus (is pittig)
2 Varkensvlees sliertjes met sojasaus op een bedje van lenteuitjes
6 Gepofte rijstkoekjes overgoten met een saus waarin o.a. varkensvlees, komkommer, zwammen en bamboe
8 Gehakthalletjes in zoete saus
1 Zoet-zuur varkensvlees ("koe loe yuk")

RUNDVLEES GERECHTEN
5 Rundvlees in een kom met sla en een pittige saus
10 Rundvlees met ui geserveerd op een hete ijzeren plaat
7 Rundvlees sliertjes met rode pepers, drooggebakken (is pittig)

KIPPENVLEES GERECHTEN

30 Gefrituurde kipfilet stukjes met gebakken zout/peper poeder
31 Kipfilet stukjes met cashew noten
28 Kipfilet stukjes met komkommer en rode pepers (is pittig)
29 Kipfilet stukjes met paprika, wortel en peper sliertjes
27 Kipfilet stukjes met pinda&#39;s (is pittig)

GROENTEN GERECHTEN

22 Boontjes
15 Broccoli
16 Peultjes
21 Tomaat met ei
25 Aardappel sliertjes met groene peper sliertjes (is pittig)
19 Aubergine in een kom met een pittige saus
18 Aubergine met rode saus (gesudderd)
24 Doufu ("tahoe")
23 Doufu ("tahoe") met een pittige saus
20 Gebakken sla met knoflooksaus
26 Kleine chinese kool ("pak soi") met gedroogde mini garnaaltjes
17 Kleine chinese kool ("pak soi") met paddestoelen

DRANKEN

42 Thee
39 Mineraal water
41 Sprite (is 7Up)
40 Cola
43 Witte wijn

Topic moved to the Lounge.. :lol:

tilen76
02-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Hey I don&#39;t speak Chinese or Dutch, but I got most of that. :D

Now I&#39;m hungry again. :(

mrcall1969
02-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Jetje

I&#39;m guessing that is a Chinese restaurant menu in Dutch??

DataMore
02-26-2003, 05:07 PM
Portuguese is also an often spoken language throughout the world&#33; ;)

Se não conseguires compreender o que eu estou a escrever agora mesmo, então é porque não entendes absolutamente nada de português&#33;

I can&#39;t see any grammar/spell error on the above sentence, can you? :huh:

SideSwiped
02-26-2003, 05:31 PM
JimF "PPS Non-copyrighted is even worse, you&#39;ve just moved the hyphen. Have we now decided to just make the random language. To save you the bother I meant it. "

I believe there&#39;s a term for the creation of new words.........neologism.

Besides, just think, if Shakespeare didn&#39;t make up words where would we be today?

J'Pol
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by SideSwiped@26 February 2003 - 18:31
JimF "PPS Non-copyrighted is even worse, you&#39;ve just moved the hyphen. Have we now decided to just make the random language. To save you the bother I meant it. "

I believe there&#39;s a term for the creation of new words.........neologism.

Besides, just think, if Shakespeare didn&#39;t make up words where would we be today?
It also means

"a meaningless word coined by a psychotic"

and before I get any more flame, that is true.

To everyone. It&#39;s good to be back amongst people with some passion and mods who will let them express themselves, even join in the fun. Whilst this forum was down I dabbled with a couple of others. This could not have happened. I&#39;ve said it before and I&#39;ll say it again. The forum is the people. This is the best, with or without verifieds.

I unreservedly retract every word I have said in the thread.

Including this

Ron
02-26-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by JimF@26 February 2003 - 12:21
I love Ron&#39;s post about the Chinese thing. What a ridiculous thing to say. The internet is turning Chinese and I should learn the language. I&#39;ll probably stick to the one or two sites that continue in English, or a version of it, if that&#39;s ok with you.

I was just replying to your more or less moronic statement that the internet was English, and that therefore everybody on earth should automatically write flawless English.
Do you avoid American websites too btw?
Sounds to me like you&#39;re a little xenophobic.....

PS Ron, if that&#39;s your post after you corrected it I would love to see the original.
I wrote "prpose" instead of "purpose"......

The international language, of the developed world is English. It is spoken In the UK, in the USA and throughout Europe. It is also spoken in Australia, New Zealand and large parts of Africa. It has been accepted as the international language in the same way that the Dollar has been accepted as the international currency
Try speaking English to a Frenchman, and see where it gets you. :D
I think you&#39;d be surprised how little people speak adequate English outside of the touristic centra.

This is why children throughout the world are taught English as a second language. So that they can deal on a worldwide basis.
Hmmm, we got French here in Belgium....

If this forum migrates to Chinese I will be sad, but will try to get over it. Obviously as I am reasonably conversant in Mandarin then that would cause less of a problem.
"Reasonably" wouldn&#39;t cut it, dude. You&#39;d get flamed all the time for your lack of proper spelling.

Obviously Dutch is a language, I apologise to all of the Dutch speakers who I may have offended. It was simply hyperbole. To my American friends, that is not a college football game.
Hmmm, I have to confess I didn&#39;t quite get the meaning of that, so I looked it up. :)
hyperbole
noun [U]
a way of speaking or writing that makes someone or something sound bigger, better, more, etc. than they are
Sounds about right to me. :D

J'Pol
02-26-2003, 06:16 PM
Ah, your Belgian.

Sorry I didn&#39;t realise.

Jonne
02-26-2003, 07:40 PM

Hmmm, we got French here in Belgium....
True, English is only our third language...
so don&#39;t flame us when (or if) we make a mistake, ok?
Do you even HAVE a third (or even a second) language? Do you know how hard it is to make sure your spelling is correct in Dutch, French AND English? (and german too, almost forgot...)

@Jetje, is sure am getting hungry, &#39;k ga mijnen wok aanzetten ;)

J'Pol
02-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Hello Jonne,

I trust you are having a pleasent day. You speak so many languages, that&#39;s really nice. You must have worked very hard at school to learn them all. Did you also go to further education and continue these studies ?

You are absolutely correct, I don&#39;t even have a second language to speak of. Tiny bit of French, just O Grade standard, so minimal at best. I really only did that because I needed it for something else I wanted to do. In fact I even managed to fail it the first time. There would be absolutely no point in me visiting a website in any language other than English, as I would be totally unable to read any of it. It never ceases to amaze me how well other people speak English. I am not being sarcastic when I say particularly the Dutch. It must be something about the way words are formed in both languages.

Anyway nice to meet you. Hope we can chat again.

Jonne
02-26-2003, 08:20 PM
i just think it has more to do with being too lazy to read subtitles in english movies...
it&#39;s a lot easier to just understand what they say, instead of reading it...
and in other countries everything is dubbed...

now i&#39;ll get back 2 my wok...
bye