PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Lan Setup

Livy
12-30-2003, 07:49 PM
my g/f has just got a laptop, and uses it all over the house, and itstead of me having to keep moving her cable modedm from her bedroom to the livingroom, i offered to look into setting up a wirless setup for her. although im not exactly to sure what to go for,

budget is really all im after, ill probably go with a pcmcia wireless adapter, but im not sure what to put at the modem end, is it better to have a router, or a access point. she will be the only one using it. and the only computer is her laptop.

Mad Cat
12-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Try Google.

I think a wireless router and a wireless network card and your ok.

Livy
12-30-2003, 07:55 PM
i was just wondering whats better, or what i would het cheaper. i can get a pcmcia 11mbs acces card for £12 and a linksys wireless router for £50. which i woulda liked to be a bit cheaper.

Mad Cat
12-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Wireless routers do cost a lot, I looked into it a while back but it was too expensive so I used ethernet.

Livy
12-30-2003, 08:17 PM
ethernet setup would be a bit harder, and would probably cost the same overall including cables to her living room etc. and her mums a bit of a moan and would moan at the cables int he living room. :P