PDA

View Full Version : Always Yellow Status Light!

freak
12-30-2003, 10:44 PM
OK on BT I always have a yellow status light... I relized that my modem has a built in firewall... how do i get by this???

Xero Grid
12-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Hmm... well, I get yellow lights all the time, but I still get good connection speeds. It could be that I'm behind a server, router, NAT , and VPN (kinda sounds like jibberish when said like that).

Well, if your firewall is interferring with your connection speeds, there must be a way to see what ports are being monitored or closed by your firewall., but if you have a good client, like torrentstorm (http://www.torrentstorm.com/), you can choose whh ports you use for bit torrent downloads. After that, make sure you don't have any conflicting.

Hmm... your firewall shouldn't really be conflicting with torrents. They use a pretty high port number.
-- Xero Grid --

muchspl2
12-30-2003, 11:54 PM
news flash we can help you until you tell us what you have tried and maybe what kind of modem you have etc

freak
12-31-2003, 01:14 AM
well i really haven't tried much cause im not sure what to do... I have an actiontec gateway/router and I called them and they said that its built into the modem an can't be disabled. so i need to know how to get BT to go around the firewall

Chame1eon
12-31-2003, 03:23 AM
I just fixed this problem!
What can't be disabled? The firewall itself? That doesn't menat that you can't configure it.
I really don't know very much about it, but if you have manual look up port forewarding. I found a manual for my router by typing the ip adress of my router. the control panel and a link to the maual were there. i don't know exactly which ports bittorent uses, i used the log of blocked traffic to estimate becase i'm lazy, but i think they are lised on hte bittorent page.
Hopefully this is better than no help at all :)
Oh Yeah :frusty: i forgot to say that i had to reset the modem before it worked. i couldn't find a button so i jsut unplugged it for a second.

dragon_son
12-31-2003, 08:12 AM
ip of router is usually by default 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100

but sometimes they start with a 10

once is in login in and pass for most is

admin
admin

or admin with no pass

and sometimes

administrator
administrator

if its not one of thse consult your manual it sould be located in there somewhere

also though you may not be able to disable the firewall for the entire network you may have a DMZ option where you enter you ip and your no longer behind the firewall

hope this helps

junkyardking
12-31-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by freak@31 December 2003 - 01:14
well i really haven't tried much cause im not sure what to do... I have an actiontec gateway/router and I called them and they said that its built into the modem an can't be disabled. so i need to know how to get BT to go around the firewall
Yep port forward ports 6881 - 6889, these are what bittorent uses.

freak
12-31-2003, 08:44 AM
i tried to foward ports 6881 to 6999 and after i've done that the internet doesnt work and i need to go back to default

junkyardking
12-31-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by freak@31 December 2003 - 08:44
i tried to foward ports 6881 to 6999 and after i've done that the internet doesnt work and i need to go back to default
What exactly happened?

Did you reboot the modem after the changes?

Did you put in the correct ip address of your computer?

If thats not you could try upgrading the routers firmware, thats if theres an upgrade.

freak
12-31-2003, 09:02 AM
yes I put the correct ip address in and saved and reset the modem... what happens is the pages don't show up... and i tried to do an upgrade but there isn't one :frusty:

junkyardking
12-31-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by freak@31 December 2003 - 09:02
yes I put the correct ip address in and saved and reset the modem... what happens is the pages don't show up... and i tried to do an upgrade but there isn't one :frusty:
I'm out of ideas :blink:

muchspl2
12-31-2003, 05:27 PM
call you isp
you pay for service, ask them to help you open ports say its for a game are whatever and you need 1250 -1255 open
but instead on your end open 6881-6889 they should walk you through it if you can't figure it out

freak
01-01-2004, 12:12 AM
ok i guess i'll do that or i'll just ask them to send me a diffrent modem without a firewall... it alot eaiser to use my own...

bigdawgfoxx
01-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Yeah I always get the yellow light and only like 5KBs max...its fucking anoying

NoRemorse
01-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Attempting to fix that prob this very second. Using TorrentStorm always gettin' the yellow status light. My Hayes 'Zoom X4 ADSL Modem/Router' has a built in NAT (dynamic NAPT) firewall too. With help from the manual I have just forwarded each necessary port (created a virtual server for each) and I'm about to "Write Settings to Flash and Reboot" my modem.

Wish me luck B)

Edit: Just wondering whether Zone Alarm has any bearing over the built in firewall ? Since I allowed TorrentStorm access to the internet with Zone Alarm, does that not give it access to the necessary ports ?

Edit2: Forwarding the ports (6881-6884 set in TorrentStorm) seems to have done the trick for me. LED status lights are now green :) Hopefully better speeds overall.

muchspl2
01-02-2004, 01:58 AM
thats all you need is allow it, and open ports, for some reason people have lots of trouble opening portshope freak get it and glad your set up

NoRemorse
01-03-2004, 03:13 AM
TorrentStorm 1.1 Help - Yellow - The downloader has not received any incoming connections.

This may be due to your computer being behind a firewall or router which is blocking the incoming connections. TorrentStorm will work ok in this state, but if you can enable access for incoming connections, this will improve your download rates.

So how come I could actually receive data when my firewall was blocking the ports. It says "TorrentStorm will work ok in this state" :blink:

How ?

Jg427
01-04-2004, 04:26 AM
So how come I could actually receive data when my firewall was blocking the ports. It says "TorrentStorm will work ok in this state"

Your router/firewall is not blocking all ports. It is allowing the ports you forwarded.

TorrentStorm 1.1 Help - Yellow - The downloader has not received any incoming connections.

These incoming connections are not in the range you forwarded. They are outside of the port range set in BT. or your router. Bt uses a wide range of ports. Even with my BT range set to 6881 thru 6891, it listens for connections on 3119 and above. These are the extra connection that are blocked and slowing the downloads. It will cause a yellow status indicator.

In zone alarm, BT needs internet access and server rights to run properly. In some firewalls this means giving it unrestricted access.

If your router allowed it, you could set a wide range of ports for BT. I checked in the Zoom X-4 (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q2/zoom-x4.asp) guide and it does not allow a range of ports to be set.

The only option I see is to set the router configuration to DMZ while you run BT. This opens all ports which means you need a software firewall running.

NoRemorse
01-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Jg427@4 January 2004 - 04:26

So how come I could actually receive data when my firewall was blocking the ports. It says "TorrentStorm will work ok in this state"

Your router/firewall is not blocking all ports. It is allowing the ports you forwarded.
I meant before I had forwarded any ports. And the ports that BT uses were blocked. How come I can download/upload at all when the necessary ports were blocked ?

freak
01-09-2004, 12:18 PM
I know how to forward ports. just not when its built into the modem. i called my provider they went to guide me through it and they told me to do the same thing i was already doing?!?!? I think i just need a new modem. cause if u mess with any of the setting and don't leave it set to default the modem stops responding... *shurgs* :huh: :frusty:

NoRemorse
01-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Which modem is it Freak ? Can't you contact the manufacturer, see if they have a "Contact Us" function or maybe even a forum.

See if you can get an online instruction manual if you haven't got one for it. (Seems you haven't since it should be in there)

freak
01-10-2004, 04:35 AM
No I don't have a manual and there seems to be a problem with the modem so i will need a new one... It's an Actiontec gateway/router

01-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@2 January 2004 - 01:58
thats all you need is allow it, and open ports, for some reason people have lots of trouble opening portshope freak get it and glad your set up
i allowd my shadows client to get internet acess with ZA PRO but how do i open ports? thanks

G2k1boy
01-11-2004, 02:29 AM
There's a guide around here somewhere, and unless you have a router, you don't need to.

seiya_33
01-13-2004, 01:52 AM
i have the same problem the light is always yellow , but i dont have a firewall .
so i dont know whats wrong .anybody that can help me .

muchspl2
01-13-2004, 02:12 AM
running xp
disable the built in firewall :)

01-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@13 January 2004 - 02:12
running xp
disable the built in firewall :)
i daisabled it but is it safe? btw i have ZA PRO.

muchspl2
01-13-2004, 09:27 PM
yes xp's is a joke as long as your running a software firewall you don't need 2

01-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@13 January 2004 - 21:27
yes xp's is a joke as long as your running a software firewall you don't need 2
ok i disabled it and i still got the yellow light.. then i closed the download shut down ZA started the download back up and i got green light even though i forwarded my ports. what wrong?

Jg427
01-14-2004, 12:08 AM
In ZA go to the programs panel and make sure BT has a checkmark in the box for "allow server"