PDA

View Full Version : Page File...

mogadishu
12-31-2003, 04:32 AM
Im noticing errors in various programs concerning my pagefile.sys

NOD32 Says it cant be scanned, and Overnet gets an error at the bottom that says "can't hash pagefile.sys"

I think this might have something to do with why my task manager is nonexistant and I can't run regular utilities like spybot, spysweeper, norton, NOD32.. etc so my pc gets messed up further. (I think I have a trojan or something that continuously downloads more and more adware and spyware. I will delete the spyware then ill restart and it will be there again.) But anyway, I'm going to start with the pagefile.sys problem.

Could it have something to do with the pagefile.sys not being on C:\
Do I have to create a pagefile on the drive it is on (I:\) (i.e - I:\pagefile.sys)

Any help is appreciated.

I know my system is really screwed up but at this time a format or reinstallation is not an option so I have to

tesco
12-31-2003, 04:48 AM
try some trojan scanners and antivirus.

for the pagefile problem, it might be infected by a virus but try disabling teh pagefile then restart then enable it again and restart once more and see if the errors go away.

Fukar
12-31-2003, 04:54 AM
If you are running on Windows XP you best turn off System Restore. Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories -> System Tools and turn it off then try to run antivirus and spybot removal programs.

mogadishu
12-31-2003, 05:03 AM
I didnt think you could disable a pagefile.. just make it small.

And I cant do the system restore, Im running windows 2000 pro.

mogadishu
12-31-2003, 07:05 AM
any ideas?

AndrewBarker
12-31-2003, 09:37 AM
not the answer you probably want to hear, but it sounds as if you would benefit from a clean, windows install

edit: sorry I just notice this isn't an option

**GASHA**
12-31-2003, 10:08 AM
Your pagefile should be in C:\Windows\Prefetch and can be emptied manually or by using a small batch file. A clean install as suggested above is always the best option when you have so many problems, you could spend days trying to sort it.

ck-uk
12-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Mate the page files hidden you'll have to show hidden & protected files on to find it.

You could tri turning it off ,delete the page file itself,turn it back on & let windows create another one.You'll have to reboot afew times in-between.

clocker
12-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mogadishu@30 December 2003 - 22:03
I didnt think you could disable a pagefile.. just make it small.

And I cant do the system restore, Im running windows 2000 pro.
Sure, you can eliminate the pagefile altogether if you have enough RAM.
I've run both ways.
I've also run the pagefile in a different drive than the OS with no problems.

Snee
12-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by clocker@31 December 2003 - 17:42
I've also run the pagefile in a different drive than the OS with no problems.
That's actually better.

That is, if it was another physical disk, if it's just another partition, it's about the same.

mogadishu
12-31-2003, 05:29 PM
yes, my page file is set to something like 750-1500MB on my I:\ Drive.. which is another physical disc. Would the hidden pagefile.sys be just in I:\ or would it be in something like I:\Tmp, which I have, since my temp dir are on I:\ as well.

But I just got the impression that deleting the pagefile if it is on another drive won't do much - so should I not bother with that?

I tried booting with my pagefile at 300MB yesterday and windows started but I got an alert that "system is low on virtual memory. Some programs wil be shut down", or something along the lines of that. Windows ran fine, but Im not sure I want to try running it without a pagefile at all unless Im sure it wont screw it up.

One last question - If I can create a fresh pagefile, what affect would It have on my system?

Thanks, I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but you guys are really informative.

Mogadishu. :D

Snee
12-31-2003, 06:30 PM
Making a new one might help.

I dunno how to get into the one on yer I: if revealing hidden files won't work, if you still want it there, you could reformat the drive I guess.

I guess the best thing to do, in order to see if it's the pagefile itself is to try setting up a new one somewhere else and testing it.

Rojakpot Swapfile (http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/Swapfile_Optimization/Swapfile_Optimization_01.htm) Should help you optimize things.

mogadishu
12-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@31 December 2003 - 13:30
Making a new one might help.

I dunno how to get into the one on yer I: if revealing hidden files won't work, if you still want it there, you could reformat the drive I guess.

I guess the best thing to do, in order to see if it's the pagefile itself is to try setting up a new one somewhere else and testing it.

Rojakpot Swapfile (http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/Swapfile_Optimization/Swapfile_Optimization_01.htm) Should help you optimize things.
The hardisk that has C: on it is split up into 3 partitions.. one is 2GB.. totally empty - could i try making it there, or would that not work since its on the same physical drive?

Snee
12-31-2003, 06:35 PM
You can make one there, it wont be as effective as one on another physical drive(assuming it's speed is the same), but it'll work.

mogadishu
12-31-2003, 06:38 PM
ok i have to restart, but i notice in the performance options where u choose where u want your virtual memory you can choose to optimize performance for (a) - Applications or (B) - Backgroud Services.. - Which one would I want?

Thanks.

Snee
12-31-2003, 06:42 PM
Applications for now at least.

Check this out too.

Win2k pagefile settings from house of help: 1 (http://www.houseofhelp.com/articles/win2k_guide/win2k_config_guide_9.php) 2 (http://www.houseofhelp.com/articles/win2k_guide/images/page_file-1.png)note that the size of his pagefile is set up after the size of his RAM.

I used this and Rojakpot to set up my system.

mogadishu
12-31-2003, 07:30 PM
hmm.. i set up my pagefile on D:\ which has about 2GB Free and still when I run NOD32 it says D:\pagefile.sys error opening (locked).

Snee
12-31-2003, 07:39 PM
I looked around a bit, you might want to clear your system of adware and trojans first then manually or something :blink: , I see there's a number of stuff including keyloggers that can do this to you.

Also, old versions of Azguard can do this.

Did you install something right before it started happening or so?

Wish i could help you any :(

mogadishu
12-31-2003, 07:58 PM
yea, i know I have spyware/adware and possibly a trojan, but since they screwed up my pagefile or something like you suggested, I can't run spysweeper or an AV properly. So I though if I fixed the page file then I could run those proggies.. but i guess i can't do either. If this is a dead end dont feel like you still have to help me.. i sound stubborn for not doing a format or fresh install, but right now im afraind that's not an option.

Mogadishu.

Snee
12-31-2003, 08:52 PM
If I think of something I'll get back to you.

Once you fix it, at least the links I got you are good.

EDIT: aw buggrit, try this http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

and then a forum like this http://forums.techguy.org/

If it's the spyware, they might be able to tell you what to do.