PDA

View Full Version : Access Denied

Got_brains?
01-01-2004, 03:36 PM
:frusty: :frusty: :angry: :angry: I am on a network, and didnt want to share my 'My music' folder, because thats where all of my K-Lite downloads are. Anyway, I clicked the option 'Make this folder private' so it wouldnt be shared. Now, I have a new hd and another install of windows (the old one wont boot). I wanted to copy the whole folder onto the new drive so I could have some tunes. But everytime I do anything to it, it gives me the 'Access denied' error. I cant open it, copy it or do anything. I tried to go into the command prompt and it even cant open the file. :angry:

So, any :helpsmile: on this would be appriciated! thanks and happy new year

alexstron
01-01-2004, 04:02 PM
well you should be sharing it
thats the whole point!
humbug

TRshady
01-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Helpful post their Alex, don't know what we would do without it .... :blink:

Restart in Safe mode (run> msconfig .... boot.ini .. safe mode) and log on as administrator, find the folder (most likely in c drive, documents and settings), then right click, and set your user name you use now to take ownership. That should work. :)

Mad Cat
01-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by alexstron@1 January 2004 - 16:02
thats the whole point!
humbug
Sharing it on his network, duh.

chinook_apache
01-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by TRshady@1 January 2004 - 16:06

Restart in Safe mode (run> msconfig .... boot.ini .. safe mode) and log on as administrator, find the folder (most likely in c drive, documents and settings), then right click, and set your user name you use now to take ownership. That should work. :)
what happens if you get the access denied mssage on another ntfs partition(not the one with windows on it) how do you overcome that? the same way?

Got_brains?
01-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by alexstron@1 January 2004 - 09:02
thats the whole point!
humbug
No, I am reffering to my local network, not over the net.

Got_brains?
01-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by TRshady@1 January 2004 - 09:06

Ok, thanks, I will try that right now.

(I tried to boot into safe mode of the drive that had it stored on it... didnt boot)

TRshady
01-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by chinook_apache@1 January 2004 - 16:11
what happens if you get the access denied mssage on another ntfs partition(not the one with windows on it) how do you overcome that? the same way?
Good question mate and not something Ive come across before. But, I'm sure that by taking ownership in the same way (so both partitions have the same owner), you should be bale to then copy and paste the folders over, then restart in normal mode.

Got_brains?
01-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Hmm, well this is interesting. The taking over permissions worked great in safe mode - I could listen to songs and stuff, but when I booted into regular windows, it still says access denied. I assumed that it was because there was two options and one was Administrator and the other was Administrators. Well I went back and chose admins and rebooted and I still get the error.

?? :helpsmile:

TRshady
01-01-2004, 05:14 PM
This can be a problem and something which takes me ages of going back and forward. But the easiest thing to do is to actually move the folder to where you want it to be on your new hard drive, then change the ownership again making sure all child objects and sub folders are ticked and that should work.

Good luck

Got_brains?
01-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by TRshady@1 January 2004 - 10:14
This can be a problem and something which takes me ages of going back and forward. But the easiest thing to do is to actually move the folder to where you want it to be on your new hard drive, then change the ownership again making sure all child objects and sub folders are ticked and that should work.

Good luck
Ok, thanks. (That will take a long long time lol :D )

I dont quite understand what you are trying to say by "something which takes me ages of going back and forward". Are you trying to say that it would take you too long to tell me? Thats ok, because I bet the copying thing will work.