PDA

View Full Version : Is It Legal?

cmac16
01-02-2004, 08:58 AM
I have the Kazaa lite exe file on my hard drive but am reluctant to install. I live in Germany and a friend has told me that German police are scanning for Kazaa users? Can some one tell me if it is illigal to use Kazaa????

Cotton
01-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Depends what your doing with it.

But it wouldnt be illegal to just have it installed.

never know tho cause ur in germany.

Just use it, then if the cops come have a shot out with them.

Hial Hitler... Joking :lol:

Sorry couldnt help myself :(

wenze1
01-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Read the disclaimer for k-lite it clearly states thay it is illegal to install this software but you are resposible for what you do with it.Use a proxy server to hide your ip addy and you should be fine.I dont know the law in germany so i couldn;t tell you.The regular kazaa is legal but in your country i don't know.

sharedholder
01-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Just fuck the laws, what's legal & illegal ? Is legal & illegal what the governement says ?

deka72003
01-02-2004, 09:20 AM
It`s legal in Germany to use KL filesharing. But: It`s illegal to share or download copyrighted files.

If you want to be a little bit more secure you should use public Socks5 Proxies. You can enable this feature in your KL program.

In German: Nach den neuen Bestimmungen ist nur der Download aus bekannt illegalen Quellen unzulässig. Bis zum Beweis des Gegenteils kann man einer Quelle unter Kazaa die Illegalität nicht ansehen, Vermutungen sind irrelevant, sofern kein Gerichtsurteil die Illegalität der Quelle festgestellt hat. Und solche Urteile gibt es bei uns (noch?) nicht.

3rd gen noob
01-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by deka72003@2 January 2004 - 08:20
It`s legal in Germany to use KL filesharing
it's illegal to install k-lite :)

deka72003
01-02-2004, 10:38 AM
It`s absolutely legal to install KL on your PC.

There is absolutely no law in Germany by which you could be stopped to install any program an your PC.

As a lawer I should know.

@3rd gen noob:

Auf Grund welcher gesetzlichen Vorschrift soll es verboten sein, irgend ein Software-Programm auf einem Rechner zu installieren?

Es gibt keine nationale oder in der EU gültige gesetzliche Grundlage, nach der dies in Deutschland verboten wäre.

Also: Nicht Reden schwingen und den Beweis schuldig bleiben!

3rd gen noob
01-02-2004, 10:41 AM
ich spreche nicht deutsche :)

deka72003
01-02-2004, 10:47 AM
@ 3rd gen noob:

If you don`t speak German language (and do not live in Germany) and even do not know anything about German laws you should not give any (wrong) legal advice to the community.

3rd gen noob
01-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by deka72003@2 January 2004 - 09:47
@ 3rd gen noob:

If you don`t speak German language (and do not live in Germany) and not know anything about German laws you should not give any (wrong) legal a advice to the community.
k-lite was made using reverse engineering of kmd kazaa

this process is illegal

:)

cpt_azad
01-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@2 January 2004 - 02:41
ich spreche nicht deutsche :)
hahaha :lol: . i don't speak german, but i'm guessing that means "i don't speak german" or "i don't understand german". and the smiley face per post, brilliant :o .

god i'm so lonely...

deka72003
01-02-2004, 10:58 AM
It`s not illegal to use a cracked KL program. It`s only illegal to crack the KL program and distribute it. In Germany you are allowed to re-engineer every program you like and use it at home. It only depends on what you are doing with that cracked program.

deka72003
01-02-2004, 11:12 AM
@ wenze1:

Any Disclaimer in German or English Language is not forcing anybody in Germany.

Disclaimers legally don`t work in Germany. You have to sign a real contract until you are bound to a disclaimer or the contract. We have some court decisions referring to that problem.

njsashford
01-02-2004, 01:28 PM
No, It is not illegal to install or use it. What is illegal however, is dowloading/sharing copyrighted files whihc is (kinda) the whole point. Thus, even regular-paid-for-legal Kazaa user commits a crime if he/she/(it?!) downloads files that are copyrighted. Thus if you use any filesharing program, the chances are you are breaking copyright laws so whether it's Kazaa lite or normal kazaa makes little diffence (apart from all the benifits of KL).

Michil
01-02-2004, 02:26 PM
If you use KL, i advise you to use Peerguardian - it will block most fake files and most ips that are linked to scanning activities.

( see link below )

Greez ! B)

supersonic
01-02-2004, 02:59 PM
It's illegal to smile in Canada (I'm not joking) so if you are have a new SIN # u can't smile in the pic :)
who tells me what is wrong and what's right? I decide what to do with my comp. If the govn't pays for my computer/internet connection, then I will follow rules.

Switeck
01-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@2 January 2004 - 05:49
k-lite was made using reverse engineering of kmd kazaa

this process is illegal

:)
Although it may NOW be illegal in Germany, this is not much different than the reverse-engineering NEEDED for IBM compatibles to EXIST.

SOME reverse-engineering is LEGAL.

Kazaa Lite's falls into the very gray-to-black area though because it's still using the original's sourcecode and isn't refferring to itself as a 'patch' like Random Nut first called it.

Project E-01
01-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Right... Reverse engineering was one of the methods that allowed a lot of early computer software to exist. Even now, its a commonly used technique in research facilities (especially those pertaining to security issues and anti-viral routines, but also in applications outside these fields, like designing a cross-platform compiler set, for instance, where its not always easy to get all the infomation you need).

As a side note, Software itself is a grey area. The code itself is a method - not copyrightable, and it's not quite clear wether patents on it can actually be enforced (obviously, this depends on your country's laws). It that sense, reverse-engineering or reverse-compiling the software is itself a grey area - it's not easy to say wether it is legal or not.
What CAN be said is that the files that go alongside a program - the art files, images, audio recordings, models, and so on, are definately copyrightable, but copyright itself allows for something called fair use - your still allowed to break it provided its for specific purposes and you follow certain guidelines.

Well, That's how i understand the situation anyhow. It's a topic that remains a focus of much debate between various groups, and will continue to be so for some time.

me2me
01-03-2004, 07:33 AM
Do like i did........ when the cops came to bust me capped 6 of them with my phazer, drop-kicked a 7th, jumped in my hummer doing 350kph..... near the road block i tapped the speciale button that turned my hum into a chopper.
there is 30 billion bounty on my head but i ain't scared. I am still sharing. Oops getting backup copies of software / moviez i legally own.

Rip The Jacker
01-03-2004, 08:56 AM
I don't know about you guys over in Germany, but here in America, whether it's illegal or not.... your still gonna do it. :P

Xero Grid
01-03-2004, 09:23 AM
HAHAHA. me2me is friggin funny.

Hey, look at the big picture. Why pay to put a bunch of zeros and ones on your computer? :P

If you're worried, there are TONS of precautions you can take.
K-Lite has some built in features that allow for a safe trip if you play it right.
Look into using:

- anonimous proxy services
- Firewalls
- Routers
- NATs
- Proper anti-virus and spyware protection (Hey it helps)
- You can set up your own server and make a combination of these

These aren't as difficult as they sound.

You can play with built in Windows options and be safer.
But, you shouldn't be too worries. There isn't a force on the planet that can watch everyone all the time. Just try it and try downloading some stuff that's legal and free.

-- Xero Grid --

Cotton
01-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by deka72003@2 January 2004 - 10:47
@ 3rd gen noob:

If you don`t speak German language (and do not live in Germany) and even do not know anything about German laws you should not give any (wrong) legal advice to the community.
If you want legitimate legal advice you shouldnt be asking people on a forum that has nothing to do with law.

Who the hell listens to the law nowadays thats so 1980's.

Switeck
01-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Xero Grid@3 January 2004 - 04:23
If you're worried, there are TONS of precautions you can take.
K-Lite has some built in features that allow for a safe trip if you play it right.
Look into using:

- anonimous proxy services
- Firewalls
- Routers
- NATs
- Proper anti-virus and spyware protection (Hey it helps)
- You can set up your own server and make a combination of these

These aren't as difficult as they sound.
NATs, Routers, and generic Firewalls offer little to no protection from RIAA/MPAA/BSA scanning.

Only blocking listing of all your shared files AND blocking known 'hostile' ip addresses (keep that updated too!) will help.

Proxies may be able to help a little, but Kazaa/KL++ forwards your LOCAL ip address even when using NAT so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't do that as well with proxies.