PDA

View Full Version : Consoles Becoming Pc

Illustrious
01-02-2004, 12:25 PM
I feel the best gaming plaform around is the PC.

If u look at the consoles around now Ps2, Xbox they are slowly becoming Pc and yet the PC had a fuckin shit year when it cames to games!!!!!

Keikan
01-02-2004, 12:34 PM
great

Mad Cat
01-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Keikan@2 January 2004 - 12:34
great
Woo, nice spam there mate.

Its true. Xboxes are probably more like PCs than any other console, probably because they are nearly all PC parts :P

Stonecoldfreak1
01-02-2004, 01:38 PM
well wtf do you want them to be made out of? fuckin donuts?

Evil Gemini
01-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Stonecoldfreak1@2 January 2004 - 14:38
LOL no shit! :lol:

Mad Cat
01-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Stonecoldfreak1@2 January 2004 - 13:38
A donut console... hmm...

Nah, I just mean that they using processors designed for PCs, not making special ones. This will be better for the future, maybe a real PC console. (well theres sorta one coming but it will probably be crap www.phantom.net ).

- Nightmare -
01-02-2004, 03:22 PM
They're becoming as powerful as PC's but they'll never become PC's. That would negate the fact that they're consoles.

Illustrious
01-02-2004, 06:48 PM
u dimwit!

They're becoming as powerful as PC's but they'll never become PC's

Wot is a Pc its a personal computer! before a games console was purely for games is that true! now u can surf the web, play dvd and all sorts u acn even buys keybords for them!

Face it they are edging closer to PCs

- Nightmare -
01-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Illustrious@2 January 2004 - 18:48
u dimwit!

They're becoming as powerful as PC's but they'll never become PC's

Wot is a Pc its a personal computer! before a games console was purely for games is that true! now u can surf the web, play dvd and all sorts u acn even buys keybords for them!

Face it they are edging closer to PCs
Like I said they're becoming as powerful as PC's but will never become true PC's. I know you can play online games on consoles now but I'm not sure about any web surfing....

And of course you need keyboards to play MMORPGs and for edit stuff in games like RPG Maker 2.

And I&#39;ll ignore that dimwit comment.... <_<

j4y3m
01-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Sony Got The PS2 To Be Classed As A PC To Cut Down On Some Shipping Prices...Plus You Can Run Linux On It So It Basically Is A PC With A HardDrive Keyboard Mouse Internet Etc Etc But The PS2 Uses Mainly Hardware Developed Mainly Just For The PS2 Unlike The X-Box

phAnt0m buRn
01-02-2004, 07:20 PM
They wot ever be true PCs as mentioned before, because there would be no point in buying the things if that were so.

It would be stupid if you had to install games on to your GC, PS2, Xbox or whatever, and even register them with serial numbers.

It is totally uncomprehendable. At least that&#39;s what I think.

Rip The Jacker
01-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Illustrious@2 January 2004 - 04:25

If u look at the consoles around now Ps2, Xbox they are slowly becoming Pc and yet the PC had a fuckin shit year when it cames to games&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
Now.... just tell me this....

What is the point of this thread? What are you trying to say?

Aaron_T
01-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by KrackHead2k+2 January 2004 - 23:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KrackHead2k @ 2 January 2004 - 23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Illustrious@2 January 2004 - 04:25

If u look at the consoles around now Ps2, Xbox they are slowly becoming Pc and yet the PC had a fuckin shit year when it cames to games&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

What is the point of this thread? What are you trying to say? [/b][/quote]
i think he&#39;s trying to say that all of the work that has been put into these new consoles is terrible when there have been shit games out for them

i happen to disagree

but i believe there is a certain POINT to this thread

3RA1N1AC
01-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by KrackHead2k+2 January 2004 - 16:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KrackHead2k @ 2 January 2004 - 16:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Illustrious@2 January 2004 - 04:25

What is the point of this thread? What are you trying to say? [/b][/quote]
agreed. i didn&#39;t even understand what he was trying to say... the PC is the best game platform, but only shitty games come out for PC? wouldn&#39;t that make it the worst game platform? ;)

and i don&#39;t agree that consoles are turning into PCs. the fact that the hardware is standardized and the selection of games is generally different from PC games... makes them not PCs. if PC games are simply losing their edge, and the PC isn&#39;t offering anything that you can&#39;t get on consoles, then that&#39;s the fault of the game publishers-- they&#39;ve gotten lazy and they&#39;re not willing to try anything new.

there were tons of console/PC hybrids in the 80s, including the Commodore 64, and most of them were just game systems with minimal computing abilities. and out of the last few generations of consoles, the Xbox has been the only one that could be converted into a halfway-decent PC-- but it doesn&#39;t have full PC capabilities out-of-the-box, without a bit of soldering or hacking. otherwise, Xbox is a machine that uses PC parts but it&#39;s designed to play games, not function as a PC.

Project E-01
01-03-2004, 01:49 AM
While the Xbox may be close to a PC, you can&#39;t say that about the Gamecube. Heck, the processer&#39;s nothing compared to a PC one, at least numerically, yet the GC can run games that manage to look as sleek as anything on PC. Why?

The answer is this - A PC is Modular. Because the hardware and software specifications are different from one unit to the next, A PC&#39;s Operating system has to be infinitely more bulky than that of a consoles, which in turn means that far more of that processing power is bieng wasted before the game ever see&#39;s it. Not only that, but a PC&#39;s CPU isn&#39;t made specifically for gaming - its made to cover a vast range of potential operations - a jack of all trades, if you will, doing a little of everything but excelling at nothing.

When you look at consoles (the Xbox excluded, i class that brick as a PC), the hardware is the same for each one. Because the hardware is the same, there&#39;s no need for bulky drivers and interfaces like DirectX, no need for the 60 billion libraries that you&#39;ll never actually use, for instance. The Core O/S is much, much sleeker, which means that numerically inferior hardware can keep up to its &#39;big brother&#39;. And of course - the same is true for games. When you write for a console, you write for that one specific configuration. Because you can assume that all of those consoles are the same, you can save a lot of development time, and avoid having to write code and counter-code just to determine what gfx card is in use, or how many sound channels you have, or what instruction set the cpu has available. You *know * all of that before you start writing, and so you can go so much further with the code. Not only that, butr the CPU of a console can be built specifically for gaming related instructions, doing more with less. :huh:

Thats why consoles will never become PC&#39;s - and why they&#39;ll always have both a market and support from developers. WHy write slow, buggy code that spends more cycles trying to hold itself together than actually running the game when you don&#39;t have to? ;)

By the way - if ID ever gets on to the console side of things properly, we could be in for a real treat. D3 looks impressive on PC, but could you imagine how much better if it could look with half the overhead? B)

Timz
01-03-2004, 04:14 AM
well, i think lots of game developers make games for consoles instead of pc because it will never get an upgrade and stays the same for everyone, so no worries about people with bad computers who can run teh games. And there are plenty of great PC games out there if u open ur eyes.. :01: