PDA

View Full Version : Napster Gets A New Lease Of Life

Champion
02-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Napster, the pioneering online music file swapping service, will be relaunched by the end of the year by its new owner as a legal subscription service. Roxio, a company which makes software for CD-burners, bought Napster's name and associated patents for $5m in November. Napster's founder Shawn Fanning is back with the company as a consultant after Roxio hired him earlier this month.

The new Napster will no longer allow file-swapping which attracted 60 million users at the peak of its popularity before annoyed record labels brought the company down with legal suits.

"The record labels know we want to do this the correct way and the legal way," said a Roxio spokeswoman.

Legal tussles

"And it will be top-tier content, not unheard-of bands you see now with most of the subscription services," she added.

The original Napster halted file swapping in July 2001.

Last Friday, a group of songwriters, composers and music publishers has launched a $17bn lawsuit against German media giant Bertelsmann, alleging that it helped Napster deprive them of royalties.

Roxio bought Napster on the condition it would not carry any potential liabilities.

The story of Napster will also be the subject of a feature film.

( From Sprycha.com (http://www.sprycha.com/index.php) )

Jibbler
02-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Champion@25 February 2003 - 16:00
The story of Napster will also be the subject of a feature film.

The story of Napster? When can I share that file?--

Jibbler

Lawny_LC
02-25-2003, 10:38 PM
Do you know what Napster will be if it is relaunched? Not sure if I read this correctly, but is there going to be no peer-to-peer file sharing?! If not, THEN WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY BE!? *thinks back to good ol' napster days* good times, good times... well, anyway, just wondering about it. By the way... I'm... *echos* NEW! to the forum, HEY ALL! :D

- Lawny :huh:

P.S. If they try to shut down Kazaa, heads will roll!

darknight
02-26-2003, 02:33 AM
I dont care what they name it. I am still not going to pay for files when I can
get them for tha free

lunatacs
02-26-2003, 04:30 AM
napster will be back, for a small fee you might have a chance to login
although it will never be the same, napster has been raped from every side. Only way it will happen if their wasn't any monthly fee. Since most of p2p are now free, like kazaa lite. why pay for something, we can get for free elsewhere? either they have something more they not saying or just the whole idea of relaunching is to simply state, " we wont go down that easily" or something around those lines....

anyway... i like napster, wait.. liked napster it was great p2p though things changed. we have far more new and better p2p out there now. napster was the start but now it can only be known as the father of p2p.... ...let napster rest.

kAb
02-26-2003, 04:34 AM
i wouldn't mind paying up to 10 bucks a month for free everything, i mean, if kazaa kept getting bigger, and millions of people stopped going to movies, nobody would make movies anymore cause there would be no money in it.

lunatacs
02-26-2003, 04:43 AM
kab:

LOL!@#

justdigi
02-26-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by kAb@26 February 2003 - 05:34
i wouldn't mind paying up to 10 bucks a month for free everything, i mean, if kazaa kept getting bigger, and millions of people stopped going to movies, nobody would make movies anymore cause there would be no money in it.
I'm with you... I'll spend $10 a month for unlimited DL's of stuff I like...

I used to subscribe to emusic.com. Best $15/month I spent for 3 months. I DL'ed at least 40 FULL albums of stuff I liked -- stuff I could have gotten on Kazza for free. The idea here was to support those groups I liked -- AND -- pay a reasonable amount for music.

If the RIAA would just realize that a good chunk of people wouldn't mind paying REASONABLE (key word) prices for music DL's we would ALL be better.

lunatacs
02-26-2003, 05:06 AM
pay? money? dollers? the good kind of paper? american money?

hmmm, maybe you like to pay because you can't find it anywhere else and if you can but willing to pay still... why not spend it on maybe ummm yourself or some beer :)

<_<

Crackedup
02-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Only one thing to say: R.I.P. Napster

todzuallen
02-26-2003, 07:55 PM
I buy cds if i liked the band... eventually... because i feel that the band should get money for making great music. and i&#39;ve acctually found alot of bands because of p2p which in turn made me buy more cds. If people were like me the world would be a better palce lol. :lol:

lunatacs
02-26-2003, 08:01 PM
todzuallen: lol :)

you see the one thing i hate about buying CD&#39;s its because they cost bewteen 15-22&#036; dollers. I&#39;m sorry but for one CD thats alot. well if it has more then one CD it might cost more, not sure. this is crazy rates. I rather spend it on food and drinks :D

riku_x
02-26-2003, 08:01 PM
I am like you...

Does this make me a good person?

lunatacs
02-26-2003, 08:26 PM
A wonderful, loving and caring person you are... if your a person like me :D :rolleyes:

Jibbler
02-27-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by lunatacs@26 February 2003 - 15:01
you see the one thing i hate about buying CD&#39;s its because they cost bewteen 15-22&#036; dollers. I&#39;m sorry but for one CD thats alot.
Could those inflated prices be a direct result of people who stopped buying music because they can download it for free? Let&#39;s not kid ourselves. Over 80% of my music collection was downloaded from the web. However, when I find an artist that I really like, I spend the money and buy the CD. In fact, I find the &#036;20 a small price to pay for a professionally packaged CD. In addition, many times I want the liner notes and song lyrics that come with a store bought CD. That is worth the price of admission where I come from. :huh: --

Jibbler

imported_computerfreak76
02-27-2003, 02:26 AM
ill be totally honest i haven&#39;t bought a cd since early &#39;99. the main reason being the price, the other main reason is why pay for what you can get for free?

if the riaa really want to get something done about file-sharing maybe they should lower the price of cd&#39;s but that will never happen because they are some greedy money hungry motherfuckers&#33;&#33;

so fuck the riaa don&#39;t pay for any cd&#39;s download everything from kazaa-lite.
if the 4 million users that already use kazaa-lite stop buying and more join maybe it will hit them in the pocket hard enough to make them lower cd prices.

lunatacs
02-27-2003, 02:35 AM
[QUOTE] Jibbler Could those inflated prices be a direct result of people who stopped buying music because they can download it for free?

No, because the prices depands on the artist and how the people view the artist. that&#39;s how it affects the prices. Although since because of the p2p programs out their can be used to get any songs you want, that too may be why the prices are high. Nevertheless, spending money on the things you can get for free, either you wasting money or just bored and have nothing else to do. Then again sometimes, its good having two cd&#39;s in bewteen all other burned ones :D

anyway, its still a good point but i don&#39;t think so B)

Schmiggy_JK23
02-27-2003, 08:44 AM
My question to you guys is... how long with this last?

Klite/kazaa is easily the biggest, (well fastrack) network for files, legitimate and copyrighted. How long before something is done to put a lock on the network? Isnt Fastrack in court now? We cant think this is going to last forever, do we?

I dunno. At the rate piracy is going, I find it hard to belive that some drastic measures wont be taken eventually. wether thats indivual prosecution, etc.

Comments?

Knuckles187
02-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by kAb@26 February 2003 - 04:34
i wouldn&#39;t mind paying up to 10 bucks a month for free everything, i mean, if kazaa kept getting bigger, and millions of people stopped going to movies, nobody would make movies anymore cause there would be no money in it.
well if nobody made the movies for the cineama then how would it be possible to share them :)

Benno
02-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by computerfreak76@27 February 2003 - 03:26
if the riaa really want to get something done about file-sharing maybe they should lower the price of cd&#39;s but that will never happen because they are some greedy money hungry motherfuckers&#33;&#33;

Thats the point. I would be willing to pay about 10&#036; for a CD and I also buy some but its just to expensive after a while.

The same applies to movies and games too.

Schmiggy_JK23
02-28-2003, 10:13 PM
I am more then willing to pay &#036;10-13 for a cd, if its a good cd, and seems worth it to me. The last cd i bought was the 50cent album, I being a big rap fan, loving dr dre&#39;s production, and having some 50&#39;s old stuff, i felt it was worth it. Paid the 10 bucks, and it is, there are ton of great tracks, and i felt it was definately worth it.

But more often then not, i have bought a album on the grounds of a single or two, and the rest of it has been shit. When the music industry holds their artists to a higher standard of production/music, and drops the prices, ill buy more cds.

I currently probably have about 180cds. Most bought before my broadband days, but I still buy them. Im just more selective now then i was before, because the music industry is out to rape us at each turn.

Dustin Timberleg
03-01-2003, 12:11 AM
I&#39;d prefere to go out and rob cds before I&#39;d pay one more penny to record companies. They have robbed us the public and also the musicians that create the music for many years and now its payback time.
If cds were priced at 5 dollars/ euros , which is all they are worth I might reconsider.
As reguards the information that comes with shop bought cds like song words and pictures, I would suggest visiting the performers web site and downloading this information , keep it in a folder with the album tracks and just burn mp3 cds.
Artists make more money from t-shirts than cds in any case, so the music should be free. As of yet you can&#39;t download a t-shirt.