PDA

View Full Version : Dam Msn!

djweiser
01-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi, when i start my PC up, MSN Messenger 6 automatically signs me in. Then Windows Messenger which isnt visable on the toolbar or nothing signs me in, meaning msn6 signs me out. So then i sign in with msn6, and windows messenger gets signed out. How the ek do i stop this???

100%
01-03-2004, 03:00 PM
tools-options-general-unclik-auto

SP1
01-03-2004, 06:12 PM
if tht dusnt work for you, seeing as it didnt for me when i had tht problem, deny windows messenger access using ur firewall and if you dont use windows messenger at all

Start > Run > Type "Services.msc" > look for the 'messenger' service > right click > properties > and choose to disable it

I.am
01-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by SP1@3 January 2004 - 13:12
if tht dusnt work for you, seeing as it didnt for me when i had tht problem, deny windows messenger access using ur firewall and if you dont use windows messenger at all

Start > Run > Type "Services.msc" > look for the 'messenger' service > right click > properties > and choose to disable it
What you indicated is disabling Messaging Service not Windows Messenger or MSN. Those are two different things. Messenger/Messaging Service is used to message others on the same network. It was supposed to be used by admins but advertisers use it so people disable it. So what you said wont help. Its a good thing to disable it though ;) but you should know what you did.

I.am
01-04-2004, 02:09 AM
On the topic,

Option 1:
Go in Windows Messenger, and in options uncheck startup, uncheck Automatically Sign me in. Do the same in MSN Messenger. Then you have to start them manually.

Option 2:
Uninstall Windows Messenger and only use MSN Messenger.
Uninstall Windows Messenger in XP (http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-05.html)

SP1
01-04-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by I.am+4 January 2004 - 01:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am @ 4 January 2004 - 01:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SP1@3 January 2004 - 13:12

Start > Run > Type "Services.msc" > look for the &#39;messenger&#39; service > right click > properties > and choose to disable it
What you indicated is disabling Messaging Service not Windows Messenger or MSN. Those are two different things. Messenger/Messaging Service is used to message others on the same network. It was supposed to be used by admins but advertisers use it so people disable it. So what you said wont help. Its a good thing to disable it though ;) but you should know what you did. [/b][/quote]
thankyou for correcting me, i just assumed it was used for windows messenger due to some second hand information [guess i shud double check my sources hehe]

sparsely
01-04-2004, 03:43 AM
okay.
listen.
you guys are talking about 3 different things here.
in XP there is:

MSN Messenger
Windows Messenger
Messaging Service

Windows messenger can be disabled completely, and will not affect MSN Messenger

MSN Messenger can be prevented from loading/signing in on startup by the method Zedaxx first mentioned.

the Messaging Service has nothing to do with either, and can be safely disabled.

*edit*
it&#39;s much easier just to prevent windows messenger from running at all...
instructions (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089)

I.am
01-04-2004, 04:32 AM
:lol: ofcourse we know we are talking about three different things :lol:

Disabling windows messenger will solve his problem about signing in to msn network twice ;) (via windows messenger & msn messenger)

I already had given the link to disable windows messenger. :D

@SP1, no problem. You learn something new everyday... ;)