PDA

View Full Version : E Drive Disappeared

exo_body
01-03-2004, 06:08 PM
ok, i need help!! my E drive (the one that copies dvds and cds) has just vanished, like its not there?? does any one know what i should do? i know im such a noob, but i really havnt a clue. like it was working fine a couple of hours ago. i installed dvdxcopy a wee while after that, could that have anything to do with it? i think its to do with dvdxcopy, because thats the only thing i installed before it stopped working

Mik3ll
01-03-2004, 06:17 PM
What operating system are you using?

exo_body
01-03-2004, 06:27 PM
xp, when i went into device manager, theres a red x beside the drive, and it wont let me enable it. have you any idea what i should do?

Mik3ll
01-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Did you double click on it in the device manager and see the comment on it?

cwctv
01-03-2004, 06:35 PM
If you haven't already delate the drive and reboot so your O/S can pick it up again see how that goes.

exo_body
01-03-2004, 06:39 PM
This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Click Enable Device to enable this device.

thats what it says, but when i go to enable it, it says:

windows was not able to enable this drive

any one any ideas on what i can do, i dont really understand what cwctv is saying bout rebooting and all

cwctv
01-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Go in find the drive as you have then remove it (delate) you will then have to reboot your machine so Windows can pick it up again and hopfully it should work again, if not then the fun begins this as been asked before someone will come on and know the answer I myself don't use XP.
Yes you will have to come offline to do this but it won't take long.

exo_body
01-03-2004, 06:54 PM
ahh i see what you mean now, thing is, will it need the driver for that? cuz i dont have it, my uncle does, as this aint the first time ive f*cked up my comp, i had to geta new hard drive for it a few weeks back and he re-installed everything again, so he has all the discs for it, and i dont exactly wanna tell him ive broke it again

Mik3ll
01-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Have you tired system restore?

cwctv
01-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Ok I have just seen your other post too the drivers are already built into XP as the cabs(what you need) so give it a go its worked for others and not for some (few) after IF its still not there then its NOT the drivers maybe the software you loaded on.

exo_body
01-03-2004, 07:02 PM
yup, i tried system restore, im gonna give what you said a go cwctv, ill report back in a few mins. oh, um so i jus uninstall the driver, then restart my computer? is that all i do? and then jus see if it starts to work again

pol
01-03-2004, 07:07 PM
before deleting anything just try re-booting

there are a few progs that seem to cause this, i've had it with daemon tools among others and rebooting has always sorted it

cwctv
01-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes thats all Windows will find the drive and install the drivers again IF not its that software you put on and then maybe a system restore which ISN'T reloading it if thats whats worring in you.

before deleting anything just try re-booting

I was hoping this had already been done but.....

exo_body
01-03-2004, 07:13 PM
ah man im abit lost now. i think its one of two things done it, either dvdxcopy or music match. both of them are related to the the burner (like both of them can burn discs) i removed dvdxcopy, but not music match. so what do you think i should do not? when you say reboot you mean re-start?

cwctv
01-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Correct DID you do this after putting the softwares on like pol said,if not boot now see you soon.

exo_body
01-03-2004, 07:33 PM
rite i gotta go to work now, but when i come home, bout 6 hours time, im gonna do what you said and ill report back, many thanks guys!! i hope it works

exo_body
01-04-2004, 01:36 AM
omg! you guys rule sooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!! yeah its workin now, i jus uninstalled the driver, then restarted and it detected the hardware its self and its all workin grand now!! thank you all soooooo much for your help!