View Full Version : "error Caused By A Device Driver."

riku_x
01-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Specs:

Dual Boot 2000 and XP
Ati 9000 pro
512mb ram
Athlon XP 2400+

I'm searching more for an opinion than help in this matter.

Well, when I installed XP a few months ago, from an upgrade cd (I know :blink: )
the dual booting went fine and I had zero probs, but recently my comps been restarting itself on startup. Once I get it started it works fine but it starts itself up to 5 times. So, the windows diagnostics window said that it's caused by a device driver, and that could be the problem.

Any suggestions?

Robert00000
01-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by riku_x@4 January 2004 - 10:25
Specs:

Dual Boot 2000 and XP
Ati 9000 pro
512mb ram
Athlon XP 2400+

I'm searching more for an opinion than help in this matter.

Well, when I installed XP a few months ago, from an upgrade cd (I know :blink: )
the dual booting went fine and I had zero probs, but recently my comps been restarting itself on startup. Once I get it started it works fine but it starts itself up to 5 times. So, the windows diagnostics window said that it's caused by a device driver, and that could be the problem.

Any suggestions?
you will need to re-install the drivers to the device causing the prob. I can't be sure just from the info you have given so far which it could be. But from my experience it's usually the graphics, TV card or modem that causes probs like this the most.

Uninstall the graphics drivers and then re-install it and see if it solves the prob.

Smurfette
01-04-2004, 11:02 PM
when your puter starts do you normally get the boot menu? Press F8 whil booting if you don't see it.
There are other boot options can't remember which key to access them but it should say) where you can select the boot to be logged to bootlog.txt... select that and let it fail to boot, then go to your old OS and read it (it's in the root of C:\) to see where the error is.

peat moss
01-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Yes it could be the modems wake up on lan which is setup from in your bios