PDA

View Full Version : Pentium 4 And Amd Price Drops

ilw
02-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for the announced Pentium and AMD price cuts to actually hit the shops and internet retailers (UK)??
Dying to buy upgrade stuff :( and am well gutted that i know the prices are about to drop like a stone
anyone have any useful info
Cheers :P

RPerry
02-26-2003, 03:23 PM
where did you see this announced at? First I have heard of it. :huh:

TRshady
02-26-2003, 03:26 PM
nooo!, dont tell me.
Im getting a P4 3.06ghz chip this sunday, Ive spent long enough thinking about it. It would be good though, I could then upgrade all my pc's.

DARKSHADOW
02-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Which do u think is better p4 or amd!!

whats the pros&cons!!

i was goingf to upgrade 2wks ago ,but still can,t decide

J'Pol
02-26-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by DARKSHADOW@26 February 2003 - 16:50
Which do u think is better p4 or amd!!

whats the pros&cons!!

i was goingf to upgrade 2wks ago ,but still can,t decide
Remember if you change type you will have to change the motherboard too.

I have an Athlon XP 1700+. Which works great for me. The main reason I got this was because like for like it is well cheaper than the intell one. I was also told, though this may be mince, that it was designed with XP in mind. I'm not big into graphic games, so that wasn't a consideration, though I think the AMD processor has 3D Now or some such thing

As I understand it they are both good at slightly different things. So it depends on what you want to do. Bear in mind that a good balanced system is the most important thing. No point in having a state of the art processor, with little RAM. I take it you have plenty of that, because it is the simplest and cheapest upgrade. It is also quite often the most effective.

Bottom line, the real answer for me was that I got the same spec for less money, so I got the Athlon.

njs12345
02-26-2003, 05:30 PM
I would probably say AMD, but it really is down to personal choice.
P4s are more reliable, and AMDs are cheaper.
But at the moment there really isn't much in it.

Supernatural
02-27-2003, 05:39 AM
They are pretty even now. The P4's are bit faster and bit more expensive. P4 also has more overclockability. Not much of difference though. They are both solid.

imported_QuietSilence!
02-27-2003, 06:22 AM
form what can tell they are both pritty good now
it use to be that any cpu that wasnt a intell would have problems with MS
OS's but i have seen a lot of peps with AMD in the last few years that have no problems

bottom line is that MS wrights its programs to run on Intell cpu's and Amd makes there Cpu's to be like the latest intell

IMHO: id stick to intell chips they tend to be of a high quality and Amd is always just a little behind on the newest instruction set

DARKSHADOW
02-27-2003, 06:53 AM
Cheers! everyone ur opinions and advice were much apriceated!

After readin ur replies abd a little sleep ,i think the best all round bet would be to go with intel p4.

I,ve been eager to to upgrade for weeks now,so i think i.ll go out and purchace one today!
thank alot!

touch wood!! it installs with no problems!

Nesseight
03-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Actually Intel did something to tick off MicroSoft, and Windows XP was designed on an AMD processor, I have an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ installed.

Take a look at some of these big name sites, and you'll see that they are practicly webringed with other sites.

EG AMD links to Asus and MicroSoft, Asus links to AMD and nVidia (though they still make Intel boards)

If I had wads and more wads of cash, I would buy the best Intel equipment, and a Promethia cooling system (forget the URL, one of my friends showed me the link a while ago, basicly it makes your system run at subzero temperatures, allowing you to overclock the hell out of it)

Since I don't have these magical wads of cash though, I am happy with my A7N8X setup, and 5 case fans.

(Though it would help if I had a CD burner, or a hard drive with a capacity over 10 gigs)

And about that comment about RAM being the cheapest upgrade... it really depends on what you get, the 512 MB stick of Corsair PC3200 that I have in my system now cost about 200 dollars... the max my system supports is 3 1024 (1 gig) sticks of that... which I have seen nowhere, and I think if I saw the price I wouldn't be talking about "how cheap RAM is"

Now if you still use PC133, then max that crap out (if you're operating system allows it)

cooolway
03-06-2003, 04:04 PM
AMD +1200 is a lot better than P4
I am replacing my P4 with Amd +1200 :rolleyes:

Lamsey
03-06-2003, 04:06 PM
AMD Athlon prices will drop when Hammer is finally released later this year, but P4 prices aren't going to plummet any time soon.

Nobody1234
03-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by cooolway@6 March 2003 - 11:04
AMD +1200 is a lot better than P4
I am replacing my P4 with Amd +1200 :rolleyes:
@cooolway... Isn't that supposed to be: AMD Athlon XP 2100+ and not 'Amd +1200'?

I don't think you can get a 1.2 ghz anymore and '+1200' never existed.

And about this topic...

Prices will keep dropping for CPUs of the same speed.
or
The CPUs will just get faster for the same price.

Look at this : Moore's Law (http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/m/Moore_s_Law.html)

Supernatural
03-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Price drops for harware all the time. It's a common fact in the technology world. When something newer and faster comes out, everything before it gets a small depreciation. Why does the GeForce4 ti 4600 now go for about $250 when it costs $400 when first released? Because of the Radeon 9700, of course.

Schmiggy_JK23
03-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Mmmmm.... Amd Athlon 3000XP with the Barton core.... very fast, fast indeed. Beats the top p4 in many benches... yes, yes it does... like you to buy it, it would...

cheaper then p4 it is.... yes... hmmmmmmmmm, this processor you will like...

Okay, enough yoda speak for the night, you get the point.

Lamsey
03-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Mmmmm.... Amd Athlon 3000XP with the Barton core.... very fast, fast indeed. Beats the top p4 in many benches... yes, yes it does... like you to buy it, it would...
I don't think so... check the review at Tom's Hardware Guide.

"The Avatar Man"
03-09-2003, 06:06 PM
does anyone know when intel will introduce the next step up from 3.06?
that's when the prices will drop and thats what im waiting for.
yes I already know it will be "later this year"
anyone got any specifics?

Jibbler
03-09-2003, 11:47 PM
I was at a computer fair today, and the P4 3.06 was in stock, and selling for $384 near me. A little steep in my opinion, however the new 3ghz Pentium chips use a new Hyper-Threading technology which is unavailable on AMD chipsets. You really want performance? AMD and Celeron will work well for most users, but any power users will want something more. P4 is where you should be looking. :huh: --

Jibbler

psloup
03-10-2003, 12:37 AM
i prefer amd because of the price difference but honeslty there isnt going to be a huge dissadvantage whichever way you are going to go id just get the most for your money personally
id go intel if i could afford it AMD is stable at least mine is on asus a7n8x nforce 2 board with corsair xms pc3200 ram proc is a little behind an amd 1.1 oc'ed to 1.3 once i get funds ill reach full potential of the board and ram

*edit* typing errors

ooo
03-10-2003, 12:44 AM
so ppl like amd better ryte? ...

psloup
03-10-2003, 12:52 AM
its pretty 50/50 its really personal preference amd procs execute more instructions per clock cycle so a slower clocked amd processor is goin to compete with a p4 but p4's have alot of mhz basically if you follow the amd pr rating thats pretty much the equivalent to intel p4's mhz

Supernatural
03-11-2003, 05:38 PM
It's a tough call, but I say P4 3.06 beats the 3000+ by a HAIR. Each edge out each other in defferent areas (by very little in each case), but P4 is on top at the end (also by very little).

Lamsey
03-11-2003, 05:45 PM
P4 3.06 beats the 3000+ by a HAIR
Very true (as it should, because of the .06 difference...).
However, the difference can only be noticed in benchmarks. You'd never notice the differences yourself, they'd seem like the exact same processor.

Wizzandabe
03-11-2003, 06:10 PM
didnt no that