PDA

View Full Version : Kazaa And Firewalls

sebastian
02-26-2003, 06:31 PM
I have windows XP installed on my computer, it has an option that protects my computer against people who wants to enter my pc, in fact a FIREWALL, in theory, people shouldn't be able to get files from me through kazaa but lots of people can. My question is, how people can avoid my firewall? i have something wrong on my system or do they have some kind of program to avoid firewalls with kazaa?

Well, i don't mind if anybody takes my files, in fact, it is a short time, since i discovered that i had a firewall installed. But i would like to take files from other user who do have firewalls installed on their systems. If they can take me, why i cannot take from them? That's my question.

I am sure that lots of people have the same problem than me, please, anyone who has Windows XP and had realized of this problem, tell me.

Thanks a lot
Roberto Echeverria
Spain

UKMan
02-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Theres probably nothing wrong with your system at all, but XP's firewall is not the best in the world if its not configured correctly. Also, no firewall will stop KaZaA traffic if you have given permissions for it on a particular port and thats where XP's firewall sucks - because it allows without asking first. I also have a firewall, ZA pro, but that dosnt stop others from DL'ing from me because i give permission through a particular port.

If you want to use KaZaA but at the same time stop others from downloading from you, then you have to tell the firewall to block traffic through that port - i'm not gonna say which because i dont believe in downloading and at the same time stopping others from downloading from me.

If however you find a particular user who is not sharing (this is very hard to prove and should be tested a few times before jumping to conclusions), then they are imho - leachers! But as i say, its hard to prove and should be tested a few times first.

Peace
UKMan

Jibbler
02-27-2003, 02:30 AM
The WinXP firewall works very well, and it much easier to use than ZoneAlarm and some others out there. However you will sacrifice "features" for "ease of use." Firewalls will only block ports or "open doors" on your machine. Kazaa uses one of the unprotected ports on your machine, so it shouldn't interfere with your downloads or uploads. The users on this forum could spend their money wiser, by purchasing better anti-virus software, instead of better firewall software.-- :huh:

Jibbler

UKMan
02-27-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler@27 February 2003 - 03:30
The WinXP firewall works very well, and it much easier to use than ZoneAlarm and some others out there. However you will sacrifice "features" for "ease of use." Firewalls will only block ports or "open doors" on your machine. Kazaa uses one of the unprotected ports on your machine, so it shouldn't interfere with your downloads or uploads. The users on this forum could spend their money wiser, by purchasing better anti-virus software, instead of better firewall software.-- :huh:

Jibbler
I agree that XP's firewall works very well "If you know how to configure it" - and thats the whole point really. Surely one of the reasons for choosing, for ex: ZA, is its ease of use for persons like myself who dont wish to spend a lot of time configuring every app they install. Also, the difference being that ZA does actually ask you before allowing access, whilst you have to manually configure XP's. I realise also that in able to correctly configure any firewall/progg, you need to know which ports "open gates" that particular application uses anyway in able to deny or allow access. Also, i think we agree that, with the right knowledge, XP's firewall can be as good as any other commercial FW on the market.

A lot of people dont like ZA, for their own reasons and others dont like XP's. Its amatter of taste and choice - of which neither you or i can dispute - even if we have our own opinions ;)

Also - i didnt realise that most people actually bought their proggies - i thought i was one of the few here LOL

As far as antivirus software is concerned, i agree totally!

Peace
UKMan

Supernatural
02-27-2003, 06:32 AM
XP's firewall is nothing compared to other full-fledged firewalls. XP can only stop port scans. Other firewalls go further by assuming application permission (VERy important, IMO). I like sygate for its extra features like anti-ip spoofing and DLL authentication, plus much more. Use the XP firewall if you don't want to (or don't know how to) configure firewall properly. I think they are easy to set up. A simple pop-up asking you wether to grant the APP/service permission or not. That's not so hard... :)

njs12345
02-27-2003, 09:44 AM
Also, if you know what i mean, some users don't 'purchase' their AV software...