PDA

View Full Version : Dos

ccskorn
01-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Is there a way to get into DOS with Windows XP, like how you could restart into it with Windows 98. The reason being is that there is some spyware I can't delete through windows, and want to get rid of it.

I.am
01-05-2004, 11:45 PM
AFAIK, XP is no longer based on DOS but you can open a Dos command prompt.

Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

or

Start > Run > cmd

Edit:
Have you tried Spybot -Search & Destroy to clear out spywares?

Edit2: Normally, you should get an option to start in Dos in the boot menu...check that out. (pressing F8 when the computer restarts, should bring up the boot menu)

Smurfette
01-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Have you tried Safe Mode?

ccskorn
01-06-2004, 12:14 AM
I've used Ad-aware, and it won't remove the files, and yes I checkmarked them all. The file is called IBIS TOOLBAR and it is in the file C:\Program Files\Toolbar. There is also another file in the registry named the same. Here's a topic over from the Lavasoft Forums, same problem, never really explained. Click Here (http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=16614)

Yes, I tried Safe Mode, it still does the same thing, it says the Toolbar file is not accessable, and that I don't have permission to delete the file in the Registry.

DWk
01-06-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by I.am@5 January 2004 - 16:45
AFAIK, XP is no longer based on DOS but you can open a Dos command prompt.

Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

or

Start > Run > cmd

Edit:
Have you tried Spybot -Search & Destroy to clear out spywares?

Edit2: Normally, you should get an option to start in Dos in the boot menu...check that out. (pressing F8 when the computer restarts, should bring up the boot menu)
cant you go into the Recovery Console to do stuff like this? just a thought...

I.am
01-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Change ownership to your Administrator Account (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/regedit_take_own.asp)

Start> Run > regedit
Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\BTIEIN subkey (subfolder)

Take the ownership of the key to your admin account.

-
Restart computer in safe mode,
Start> Run > regedit

Open registry and Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\BTIEIN subkey (subfolder)

Rightclick that BTIEIN subkey (subfolder) and choose 'delete' from the context menu.

Restart your computer normally, and see whether the issue is now resolved.