PDA

View Full Version : Just Got A New/my First Pc

Soundscape
01-06-2004, 07:36 AM
i just recently got my first pc. i'm pretty new to them besides working on them a little bit in school. the first thing i did was download the new version of kazaa lite, and shortly after found this message board.

if anyone has any advice for me or anything of that nature, please let me know. although i'm not completely clueless when it comes to this stuff, i'm still pretty new to it all. any help is appreciated.

j4y3m
01-06-2004, 07:38 AM
You'll Need Some Other Good Programs...Try BitTorrent http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/BitTorrent-expe...-w32install.exe (http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/BitTorrent-experimental-S-5.8.7-w32install.exe) Use It To Download Other Cool Programs Music Games Movies Etc From This Site www.suprnova.org

Marius24
01-06-2004, 07:38 AM
if your new to this stuff take things slowly and if you dont know what/how to do something ask help here :) (just make sure you post it in the right place) ;)

Soundscape
01-06-2004, 07:44 AM
thanks guys.

is this the wrong area for this post? just let me know and i'll delete it and start another thread.

Marius24
01-06-2004, 07:50 AM
You cant delete it and i guess it belongs here cos its not related to anything else apart from u gettin a new pc and being new. You can also try reading all the pinned topics in the other sections to help you :)

Soundscape
01-06-2004, 08:02 AM
ah, i see your not able to delete posts here.

Marius24
01-06-2004, 08:03 AM
if you want a post deleted PM a moderator and they will delete it for you :)

or i think they should :huh:

Soundscape
01-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by stupidguy@6 January 2004 - 01:38
You'll Need Some Other Good Programs...Try BitTorrent http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/BitTorrent-expe...-w32install.exe (http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/BitTorrent-experimental-S-5.8.7-w32install.exe) Use It To Download Other Cool Programs Music Games Movies Etc From This Site www.suprnova.org
i downloaded that file, a nd installed it but, the suprnova.org site is unavailable and supernova.org is some apache web server or something like that.

uNz[i]
01-06-2004, 08:40 AM
uhh.. okay, first off, welcome to the wonderful world of computers. :)

And a word of warning - before you go nuts downloading lots of goodies with your funky new filesharing software...

Get a decent antivirus!!

There's a bunch of nasty viruses, trojans and worms out there, just waiting for an inexperienced user like yourself to download and run them. Dont become a victim.

Soundscape
01-06-2004, 09:04 AM
thanks for the advise. i have a free version of mcafee security center installed. do you think this is decent enough? any other suggestions?

muchspl2
01-06-2004, 09:15 AM
firewall, I like zonealarm witch you can get free here
http://www.zonelabs.com

Soundscape
01-06-2004, 11:00 PM
ttt

Aaron_T
01-06-2004, 11:12 PM
also download ad-aware 6.0 to eliminate spyware on your PC you can get it HERE (http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10214379.html?tag=lst-0-1)

LovePotion nr. 9
01-06-2004, 11:22 PM
And don't forget to treat your new PC with Love.

It really works.

Like an animal they feel your mood and when you are down, they tend to crash a

lot more.

And show Windows you know it's fragile, so not too many proggies, better make a

multiboot and keep one just for Kazaa, games and shit and the other for for

instance graphic stuff.

Love and care, my friend, and you and your new PC might have a long lasting

relationship(in pc-terms about two year.......).

Good luck!!

Lp9

Samurai
01-06-2004, 11:29 PM
The first thing I install is an AntiVirus Software. My personal choice is Norton SystemWorks 2004.

The next item to be installed is a decent Firewall. I've tried nearly every firewall there is and have come to realise that Sygate Personal Firewall Pro has the very best to offer. Although ZoneAlarm is a good firewall, I found it to conflict with a couple of games that I own and another piece of software.

As SpyWare is a common occurance these days, you'll need a decent removal tool to rid you of these nasties. Again, I've tried the vast majority of programs out there, and have also come to the conclusion that SpyBot S & D has what it takes to effectively remove any spyware present on your system. Although AdAware 6.0 was being left in its wake, it has come in leaps and bounds so that may also be worth a look at too.

Below is a glossery of terms used in case of confusion. Jargon can be a crime, and yes I should work for a PC magazine :D

Antivirus
----------

Anti-virus is the term used for the technology and software that acts to detect malicious codes, prevent these codes or files from infecting and damaging your system, and to also remove any malicious codes that have gotten through. Anti-virus vendors, share information and keep in constant contact to make sure any malicious code outbreaks are quickly reported and dealt with. Anti-virus vendors also usually participate in independent tests to check and certify their products for speed and thoroughness when detecting and disinfecting viruses. The original versions of anti-virus software look through files for malicious code as they enter the system, or as the user requests it (manually).

Firewall
---------

A system or combination of systems that enforces a boundary between two or more networks and keeps hackers out of private networks. Firewalls serve as virtual barriers to passing packets from one network to another.

Spyware
----------

Spyware is a software applications that monitors a user’s computing habits and personal information and sends this information to third parties without the user’s authorization or knowledge.

J'Pol
01-06-2004, 11:32 PM
I love the concept that someone gets a new PC and a copy of kazaa lite. He says he has also found his way to this K++ board so could anyone give him any advice.

To which he gets the response, download software, music, games etc using BitTorrent from this site ....

I love you chaps, it is like music hall here.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aaron_T
01-06-2004, 11:47 PM
were all k-lite people on here

Soundscape
01-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by LovePotion nr. 9@6 January 2004 - 17:22
better make a multiboot and keep one just for Kazaa, games and shit and the other for for instance graphic stuff.

how do i do this? and what is a multiboot?
thanks

Soundscape
01-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Samurai- thanks alot! are all of those things you suggested free?

Aaron_T
01-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Soundscape@6 January 2004 - 22:57
yes, you can certainly get them for free on Bittorent

Samurai
01-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Soundscape@6 January 2004 - 22:57
Sure. And if you're lucky enough to live in the UK, I might even send you a copies on cd-r... I'm feeling generous :D

k-liteuserintheworld
01-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Marius24@6 January 2004 - 07:50
You can also try reading all the pinned topics in the other sections to help you :)
yes he could do that if hes got a spare year on his hands lol :lol:

LovePotion nr. 9
01-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Soundscape+6 January 2004 - 23:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Soundscape @ 6 January 2004 - 23:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LovePotion nr. 9@6 January 2004 - 17:22
better make a multiboot and keep one just for Kazaa, games and shit and the other for for instance graphic stuff.

how do i do this? and what is a multiboot?
thanks [/b][/quote]
You install two OS&#39;s on one pc.

On booting you choose the one you want.

I have win98 & WinXP on one machine.

98 stripped with 98lite to barebottom. No internet, officeshit, networkcrap; all out&#33;&#33;

Just my core-applications(AV).

By installing XP beneath 98 it will install OS-choice on boot. Otherwise use

bootmagic.

Good luck.

Lp9

Soundscape
01-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Samurai+6 January 2004 - 18:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Samurai @ 6 January 2004 - 18:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Soundscape@6 January 2004 - 22:57
Samurai- thanks alot&#33;&nbsp; are all of those things you suggested free?
Sure. And if you&#39;re lucky enough to live in the UK, I might even send you a copies on cd-r... I&#39;m feeling generous :D [/b][/quote]
thanks for the offer, but i live in the US. but i can download these from bittorrent, right? i&#39;ve installed the program, but now what? where do i need to go to find this stuff?

Samurai
01-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Ok I normally use Kazaa ++ and eMule to download any programs etc... I&#39;m not too sure on BitTorrent.

I&#39;m going to leave this one for someone who knows what they&#39;re talking about. I advise anyone who is giving advice here, to supply Soundscape with a website supplying verifieds for BT. I don&#39;t want him/her downloading a virus from a renamed/mis-titled file and it turns out to be a virus on his/her first day.

Samurai :ph34r:

Soundscape
01-07-2004, 12:39 AM
can i not download the programs from kazaa?

internet.news
01-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Marius24@6 January 2004 - 08:38
if your new to this stuff take things slowly and if you dont know what/how to do something ask help here :) (just make sure you post it in the right place) ;)
You should have some basic usefull stuff installed on your pc.

Just ask yourself what do you want to use pc for:

For work like writing letters, stories, working at home for your company:
Some MS Office - especially Word would be great - Many new PC&#39;s have it
included but it is also on Kazaa ;)

If you want to hear some of your Music on your PC, which you have on CD&#39;s
just download winamp 2.9 from winamp-com and audiograbber.

But anyway, take it slowly ;) If you need something, I can offer you my huge
catalogs with over 160Cds of all my stuff I collected through the years...

But with K++ you made the first good step - with everyone sharing a little you get
a great amazing database of stuff ;)

internet.news
01-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Soundscape@7 January 2004 - 01:39
can i not download the programs from kazaa?
For the moment that should be enough - I have some certain stuff, but as my need
are not the same like yours? - I would have other tools on my pcs ;)

But if you need some tool or advice, ask me openly ;) I will try to help as far
as I can...

Pete Waterman
01-07-2004, 01:01 AM
160 cd&#39;s gotten using 56k, nice. i have about 100 dvd&#39;s in my house. also, the customery - Hello thedave.

Monkeee
01-07-2004, 01:10 AM
Get Spybot Search And Destroy

http://www.safer-networking.org/

mooseman2070
01-07-2004, 01:31 AM
yeah dude antivirus and firewall, and dont open too many ports for proggies, ie BT and kazaa, i learned the hard way

Keikan
01-07-2004, 03:49 AM
My advice?

It took me 3 years to get where I am now.