PDA

View Full Version : Generation Gap

milosummer
01-06-2004, 03:47 PM
ok,
so how many generation do we have say 4 and working on 5th
Ther has been a tremondous growth in the field of computer technology
IF you analize Moore's law, it states that the transistor density on integrated circuits doubles every couple of years. This exponential growth and ever-shrinking transistor size result in increased performance and decreased cost.

Ok now the moment a new technology comes up
our computer becomes piece of junk
On an average 1 has to upgarde ur computer within (at least) 3years if you r concerned with processing speed and also new form factor
As this field is at the urge o f progress, ther r no standard form factors
As a result we have to dump our old computers and knd of buy or upgrade a new one DID U NotICe any thing about the whole proceedure

WE CAN NOT MAKE USE OF OUR OLD COMPUTERS ALONG WITH THE NEW ONE S TO ACHIEVE SAME GOAL

In short "Is there any way we can combine our old and new computers together" I mean not too old but atleast those which have just just come to shape up the new 1s

PARENT AND DAUGHTER COMPUTERS WORKING TOGETHER
I know it is possible to do so but u NEED SOPHISTICATED KNOWLEDGE OF CIRCUITARY AND CHIP

I JUST WANNA KNOW IF THERE IS ANY INBUILT FACTOR TO DO SO EASILY ALSO U CAN DONATE UR IDEAS
THANKU

clocker
01-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Why?

WE CAN NOT MAKE USE OF OUR OLD COMPUTERS ALONG WITH THE NEW ONE S TO ACHIEVE SAME GOAL
Again...why?

DWk
01-06-2004, 04:27 PM
my pentium 133mhz can do what i do with the current computer - surf, chat, and write documents....

milosummer
01-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Suppose I had pentium 800mzh and I had to buy a new 1 that is pentium 4 northwood now (if possible by combining them together I can achieve a greater speed, memory work load and performance.)

Why?

because now the form factor becomes old and u can hardly upgrade it
Problem lies in upgrading coz there is no standard form factor.
THe system becomes propietary and disposable

3RA1N1AC
01-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by milosummer@6 January 2004 - 08:38
Suppose I had pentium 800mzh and I had to buy a new 1 that is pentium 4 northwood now (if possible by combining them together I can achieve a greater speed, memory work load and performance.)
there is already a (sort of) application of your theory-- it's called internet computing. but usually it centers around one or two programs, with completed work being returned across a network. there's the SETI distributed computing project, for example, which uses a diverse collection of PCs around the globe to achieve its work.

but for two or more CPUs to work in tandem as if they are both part of a single computer running a single OS between them (this would be called homogenous cluster computing), they should be the same.

both of those fall under the broader category of "distributed computing." here's a link that does an okay job of explaining it. http://gridcafe.web.cern.ch/gridcafe/whatisgrid/reality.html

edit: re-arranged a bit, changed some terms, and added a link to try to make my response more accurate. ;)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-06-2004, 08:17 PM
:blink: Do you Geeks ever go out? :blink:

3RA1N1AC
01-07-2004, 01:00 AM
stfu with yer homo spam. :lol:

GCNaddict
01-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@6 January 2004 - 20:17
:blink: Do you Geeks ever go out? :blink:
dude, fuck up. just cuz theyre geeks doesnt mean they dont have a life. its u who doesnt have a life. stop getting ass-fucked u old smurf

btw dont spam the board

Mr. Elmo
01-07-2004, 02:29 AM
thanky you for backing us up gncaddict....but
dude, fuck up. just cuz theyre geeks <_<

like clocker says, y do you think our current machine will be a pos as soon as the new technology arrive? somebody like bigdawg is probably gonna flame at you cuz they just build theirs :lol:

WE CAN NOT MAKE USE OF OUR OLD COMPUTERS ALONG WITH THE NEW ONE S TO ACHIEVE SAME GOAL yea..........its called upgrading <_<

I know it is possible to do so but u NEED SOPHISTICATED KNOWLEDGE OF CIRCUITARY AND CHIP im guessing you dont know too much about computer?

bigdawgfoxx
01-07-2004, 03:05 AM
lol well my machines awesome for now..i didnt even take the time to read it all...just saw yall callin it stupid, but i have no flames...for now :flame:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-07-2004, 08:38 AM
:lol:

milosummer
01-07-2004, 11:26 AM
I AM BACK WITH ALL THE ANSWERS
Guys its a futuristic problem :01:
i guess u should analize last 20 years of technologies u ll come to know.
Not only will it speed up the system but also reduce the work effort.
and if u have more problems u should visit the site mentioned above it will give u a great deal of information about gride technology :01:
thanX to 3RA1N1AC for mentioning the site its a lot helpful

do you think our current machine will be a pos as soon as the new technology arrive?
Not as soon as it arrives but it&#39;ll take a barely three years from now
and then it will become disposable because u can no longer upgrade it. :rolleyes:
DONT focus on DISPOSAL FACTOR just focus on UPGRADING factor

lol well my machines awesome for now
not for long and what if u need to process a large chunks of data and by the way How much time does it take to encode a movie from 1 formate to another? (a lot)
say 2 three hours, dont u think combined effort can make it faster
I am not talking about only home PC users but also other section of users who require a great deal of processing
for more information u can click the site OR search for gride technology
i GOT my answers the PURPOSE fulfilled

Well thanks anywaY :frusty:

3RA1N1AC
01-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by milosummer@7 January 2004 - 03:26
for more information u can click the site OR search for gride technology
i GOT my answers the PURPOSE fulfilled
just to elaborate on this a little, cluster and @home style computing (like SETI@home) has been around for a long time, it&#39;s a "now" thing, and it&#39;s sort of limited in the scope of what it can achieve.

on the other hand, grid computing is very much a futuristic concept, like milosummer mentioned. the idea is that individual computers, each doing different things, share a common pool of data and CPU cycles so that each computer isn&#39;t limited merely to the speed of its local CPU-- when it needs work to be done, the work is done by CPUs in remote locations. the implications are awe-inspiring, if you consider that this could someday be the kind of system that all computers operate (and cooperate) under.

an example of grid computing as it exists right now-- http://wwws.sun.com/software/grid/overview.html